Go Big or Go Little? - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2019, 02:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '16 ZR6 El Tigre, '90 Jag 340
Previous Sled(s): '02 ZL 600, '91 Indy 500
Favorite Riding Area: Wherever I am.
19-20 Mileage: 825
18-19 Mileage: 2005
17-18 Mileage: 1100
16-17 Mileage: 300
Riding Since: 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlehoe View Post
Well the main reason for leaning towards the Pro originally was because my wife and sometimes my father would probably be riding the other sled. That being said Dad enjoys riding the big couch 2 up touring we have as well.

And its also not that I am adverse to other brands but I haven't had alot of luck with the Doo dealer here, and I have been treated very well by the polaris dealer. And after the way my old Nytro and xf cat handled and rode I won't be going to either of those brands anytime soon again.

Any of you current EVO owners have adults that ride them? How do they fit the average adult? I'd go look at one at the dealership but they are all still in storage and its just quads, sxs and boats in the showroom right now.
I was talking to a guy and his 15yo son who was riding an evo on the trail last year.

He loved it and had put 2500kms in the 3 weeks he owned it, they had nothing bad to say about it. He looked big on it, I'd say this coming year would be his last on it.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
MisterWister likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Let it Snow! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 03:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: not much
Riding Since: 70 s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let it Snow! View Post
Hes talking about a 2015 pro x

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Ooops, crystal ball not functioning right today.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2004 XC500SP, 2002 Polaris Classic 600
Previous Sled(s): 1990 Indy Trail, 1976 ColtSS, 1970 Charger 398
Favorite Riding Area: Bowstring, Bigfork, Marcell
Riding Since: 1973

Just for a size comparison, I took this photo at the 2020 model showing in Medina (not far from Polaris hq) last spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A13BEEE2-B715-416C-AA68-F207F4C17BC0.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	2056376  
p51mstg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2019, 11:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 17 850x 18 600x 18zr 200 19 EVO,17 rs6000
Previous Sled(s): -14 rush600/Rush SB 800 17 850x
Favorite Riding Area: Islandpond,pittsburgh,canada
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1882
17-18 Mileage: 1600
16-17 Mileage: 890
Riding Since: 1980

my daughter just turning 8 shes a small 8 but did fine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C8D980A4-BCE2-4BDE-951F-0CCE8679E144_1566917739405.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	2056452  
TurboJamie and p51mstg like this.
LACAPRA125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: Adirondacks
16-17 Mileage: 1200?
Riding Since: 1970

A 12 year old girl is probably not that big and strong. Unless she is real speed freak she will have much more fun on a lightweight sled she can actually ride instead of sit on and drive. I 550 is more than fast enough and doesn't have the extreme acceleration that gets you in to trouble fast.

When I was that age I had a Moto Ski Mini Sno (223CC JLO maybe 200 pounds, maybe 35 MPH, almost fit in the back of a station wagon) and I loved it. I could pick it up, I was not afraid to go anywhere...

I still have as much fun on my Freestyle 300 as on a big machine. THe biggest I have is my 550F Freestyle Backcountry and anything newer/bigger I try feels like an overweight overpowered tank. In fact I am considering getting an EVO if I someday decide to buy a new snowmobile.
p51mstg likes this.
freestylebackcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '15 Indy 800, '15 S/B ProS 60th
Previous Sled(s): 295 Polaris Colt
Favorite Riding Area: N Wisc/UP

Had similar situation
Wife and I got in to trail riding 3-4 years ago in the UP. I started with a low mile ‘15 INDY 800. Light, fast and relatively cheap. Have 2 girls, who were 10 and 12 at the time. I rigged a 2 up seat the first year for the Indy as we were seeing if the girls liked it. They did so I bought a 15 switch pro S. Got the 2 up seat and much better for 2 up riding. Also liked it much better over the bumps and was my go to when riding with the guys. My daughter took the safety course and I let her drive w me on the sled the next yr. at 14, I felt she had enough experience and control to drive on her own so the Indy 800 “is hers”. Yes I did (and still do) worry about her grabbing a mitt full of 800 throttle at the wrong time but she’s proven to be able to handle herself and the sled.

She sat on the evo and she felt it was too small. Think that if we had got it, probably only have for a year or so.

I’m all for getting the kids in to those kinds of things early, and if I were going to consider letting her drive on her own at that age (12) I would have done something like the EVo. In my, case she hadn’t had prior experience driving things so that’s why I waited until she was 14.
Jimabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

Current Sled(s): 2013 PRO
Favorite Riding Area: Back country
Riding Since: 1978

We purchased two EVO's last year for my kids 15 and 14. This sled fits them perfect. My 14 year old son got the most seat time with a couple of trips. He has ridden 600 and 800 sleds and would prefer to have the extra power but he has no fear and rides with reckless abandon (a recipe for disaster). The Evo has plenty of power to keep up at reasonable trail speeds. It handles well thru the twisty trails. You can ride it fast thru the trails and the lower horsepower does not take away much from the experience. When ridding long straight a way's I had to remind my self to limit my top speed to allow him to keep up but 50 MPH is fast enough for a learning rider. The up grade kit will allow for higher top speeds when he is ready for it. I am not sure about the EVO but used kids sleds have always held resale value well if they are still in good condition. I recently sold a 99 Indy 340 for 1000, and a 96 Indy Lite for 750 (20 plus year old sleds that cost half as much as the new EVO). There is just not much out there for new ridders without spending a huge amount and then putting them on a high powered sled that gets them in trouble due to lack of experience. Considering the small market for entry level sleds and the costs of design and production for a completely new sled I think Polaris did a good job using mostly available parts to put this sled together. If you look at the cost of a 1990 Indy lite and compare it to the top of the line sled of that same year in percentages, and then do the same with todays entry level and the flagship sleds you will find that the pricing is very close to the same.
bushwacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Well after sitting on an EVO at the local dealer we made the decision to pull the trigger. That being said as I was perusing the internet I came across a sale on a couple left over EVO's, only problem was the dealership was about 8 hours from me. Regardless I still went back to my local dealer to give them the opportunity to come close in price. They did their best but the difference was about $750 in the end. Luckily they were in agreement that I was getting a great deal at the other place and didn't seem overly upset.

Now as for the other dealer, Freedom Powersports in Edson Alberta. They have been great to deal with so far. They are even going to meet me in Edmonton at the Snow Show to deliver the sled to me. Needless to say my daughter is pretty excited.
p51mstg likes this.
Littlehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:27 AM   #19 (permalink)

Let me give my 2 cents here and talk about something that most forget to talk about. SAFETY. I can't see why ANY child of that age should ride an 800. I have spent my entire adult life working as a firefighter and paramedic and I can tell you countless stories of "oh my god how or why did this happen to my child", when I see parents not thinking about this.

An example I can give was a good man I know. His 12 yr old daughter rode large ATV's and sleds here entire life and was quite good on them. Everyone warned him that although she seemed comfortable on them, they are just too large and too unforgiving with power for her. 2 years ago she was riding and got "spooked" and the machine got away on her and she ended up crashing. She died from this and I very much think this could have been avoided had she been on a smaller machine that was easier to control and wouldn't "get away" from her so quickly.

I get it, we all like to save money and not have to buy another larger machine in a few years, but my 2 sons are very very good on all machines, however I still just bought them both an EVO because of how easy is is to handle and progress on. My one boy is 14 yrs old and has been on his EVO for a year now, and I am now just installing the Evolution Kit on it and evne then I am only doing it in stages so that he can progress thru it.

Safety has to be the first thing on our minds as parents. Work my job for few winters and I guaranty parents would not even consider buying or "just letting my kid ride it around the yard a few times" anymore. Keep them safe first so we can teach them to get better. A 12 yr old on an 800 is just a horrible choice.
Racingelting and p51mstg like this.
Kennewbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennewbike View Post
Let me give my 2 cents here and talk about something that most forget to talk about. SAFETY. I can't see why ANY child of that age should ride an 800. I have spent my entire adult life working as a firefighter and paramedic and I can tell you countless stories of "oh my god how or why did this happen to my child", when I see parents not thinking about this.

An example I can give was a good man I know. His 12 yr old daughter rode large ATV's and sleds here entire life and was quite good on them. Everyone warned him that although she seemed comfortable on them, they are just too large and too unforgiving with power for her. 2 years ago she was riding and got "spooked" and the machine got away on her and she ended up crashing. She died from this and I very much think this could have been avoided had she been on a smaller machine that was easier to control and wouldn't "get away" from her so quickly.

I get it, we all like to save money and not have to buy another larger machine in a few years, but my 2 sons are very very good on all machines, however I still just bought them both an EVO because of how easy is is to handle and progress on. My one boy is 14 yrs old and has been on his EVO for a year now, and I am now just installing the Evolution Kit on it and evne then I am only doing it in stages so that he can progress thru it.

Safety has to be the first thing on our minds as parents. Work my job for few winters and I guaranty parents would not even consider buying or "just letting my kid ride it around the yard a few times" anymore. Keep them safe first so we can teach them to get better. A 12 yr old on an 800 is just a horrible choice.
I hear what your saying and agree... I ended up going with the EVO and it was the best decision by far. My wife has put more miles on it than my daughter and thinks it has more than enough power in its stock form.

So overall very happy I didn't go with a bigger sled. Safer, more stable, and way easier for the newer riders to control.
Littlehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement