Anyone with top end performance issues pulled their skid? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Indy (AXYS Platform) This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By orville-x

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '11 IQ Turbo, '15 Axys 800, '19 850 XC
Previous Sled(s): '12 Pro-R 8, '08 IQ 8, '02 Pro-X
Favorite Riding Area: Where the snow is....
18-19 Mileage 5060
17-18 Mileage: 5100
16-17 Mileage: 2050
15-16 Mileage: 2150
Riding Since: 1976
Default Anyone with top end performance issues pulled their skid?

I pulled the skid out of my 850 to go through the idler wheels and service my shocks. I had the FTA shock out, so the arm was sitting on the rail bumpers. I just happened to look at it the right way and realized the shock mount was noticeably off-center. I also noticed that the arm was sitting on the bumper on one side and was 1/4" clear of the bumper on the other side. I started measuring, putting a square on the cross-shafts, etc. Best I can tell, the FTA was built out-of-square. I've looked carefully at the FTA and don't see any sign of damage. I can't see it being "sprung" that much and not have stretch marks somewhere. In any case, the FTA was pushing the front of the skid off to one side by approximately 1/4". The slides are worn unevenly from one rail to the other as well. I'd expect this situation would have to create more drag than there should normally be and make the sled work harder than it should. Wondering if anyone else has seen something like this, especially those who have reported lackluster performance.
orville-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 06:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by orville-x View Post
I pulled the skid out of my 850 to go through the idler wheels and service my shocks. I had the FTA shock out, so the arm was sitting on the rail bumpers. I just happened to look at it the right way and realized the shock mount was noticeably off-center. I also noticed that the arm was sitting on the bumper on one side and was 1/4" clear of the bumper on the other side. I started measuring, putting a square on the cross-shafts, etc. Best I can tell, the FTA was built out-of-square. I've looked carefully at the FTA and don't see any sign of damage. I can't see it being "sprung" that much and not have stretch marks somewhere. In any case, the FTA was pushing the front of the skid off to one side by approximately 1/4". The slides are worn unevenly from one rail to the other as well. I'd expect this situation would have to create more drag than there should normally be and make the sled work harder than it should. Wondering if anyone else has seen something like this, especially those who have reported lackluster performance.
interesting. i have dscottsdragons sled at my shop for shock service etc. he has close to 4000 miles on it 2019 850 indy xc. i will pay close attention to this and report back.
northstarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Admin - Nick

Current Sled(s): 2015 RMK 800 & 600 H.O. Fusion
Previous Sled(s): All Polarii and one Yamaha.
Favorite Riding Area: Most anywhere north of M-28.
Riding Since: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by orville-x View Post

So, by the sounds of it, just the arm was built incorrectly then?
sayatodaU.P.eh? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2019, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '11 IQ Turbo, '15 Axys 800, '19 850 XC
Previous Sled(s): '12 Pro-R 8, '08 IQ 8, '02 Pro-X
Favorite Riding Area: Where the snow is....
18-19 Mileage 5060
17-18 Mileage: 5100
16-17 Mileage: 2050
15-16 Mileage: 2150
Riding Since: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayatodaU.P.eh? View Post
So, by the sounds of it, just the arm was built incorrectly then?
The FTA is the only thing that seems out of sorts. The rear arm sits square on the rails. It really does seem like the FTA is built out of square because there are other features not exactly the same from left to right also. The wire loops that keep the track off the front arm aren't placed exactly the same left to right and the dimension between the cross tube that carries the shock mount and the tubes that mount the skid to the tunnel aren't exactly the same left to right either. Its like the tube is put in at an angle. Going to have a chat with my dealer when I stop in there this week and will take a look at his demo 850. This may explain the missing clicker knob on my FTA shock also - may have been hitting the rail on occasion.
sayatodaU.P.eh? likes this.
orville-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement