Hardcore Sledder banner

Anyone with top end performance issues pulled their skid?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  orville-x 
#1 ·
I pulled the skid out of my 850 to go through the idler wheels and service my shocks. I had the FTA shock out, so the arm was sitting on the rail bumpers. I just happened to look at it the right way and realized the shock mount was noticeably off-center. I also noticed that the arm was sitting on the bumper on one side and was 1/4" clear of the bumper on the other side. I started measuring, putting a square on the cross-shafts, etc. Best I can tell, the FTA was built out-of-square. I've looked carefully at the FTA and don't see any sign of damage. I can't see it being "sprung" that much and not have stretch marks somewhere. In any case, the FTA was pushing the front of the skid off to one side by approximately 1/4". The slides are worn unevenly from one rail to the other as well. I'd expect this situation would have to create more drag than there should normally be and make the sled work harder than it should. Wondering if anyone else has seen something like this, especially those who have reported lackluster performance.

#4 ·
The FTA is the only thing that seems out of sorts. The rear arm sits square on the rails. It really does seem like the FTA is built out of square because there are other features not exactly the same from left to right also. The wire loops that keep the track off the front arm aren't placed exactly the same left to right and the dimension between the cross tube that carries the shock mount and the tubes that mount the skid to the tunnel aren't exactly the same left to right either. Its like the tube is put in at an angle. Going to have a chat with my dealer when I stop in there this week and will take a look at his demo 850. This may explain the missing clicker knob on my FTA shock also - may have been hitting the rail on occasion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.