Got To See The Indy XC - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Indy (AXYS Platform) This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By snowcrazed
  • 1 Post By Drew 00
  • 1 Post By 12meter joe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2018, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 19 Indy XC, 19 Blizzard 600R
Previous Sled(s): 10 Ski-Doos and 3 Polaris
Favorite Riding Area: NEK, NH, ME, QC
18-19 Mileage 2950
Default Got To See The Indy XC

It was great to have a Polaris Sneak Peek event here in Connecticut!! It's been many years since any of the MFGs have done such a thing here. Thank you to Polaris and Scranton Powersports for putting the event on!

The Indy is what I expected, an Axys with a coupled rear skid. The rear of the chassis doesn't look as "finished" as other brands. IMO, the rear visually has a "racing sled" appearance.

I like that Poo carried over the foot/running board rear angle/rise from the Axys. I love going up steep hills standing up, and putting my feet back where the foot boards angle up on my Axys. Other brands foot boards stay flat, have no angle and the boards get narrower as they go back. And if that other brand has Quick Adjust, it's in the way. The Indy footboards also have large openings which I would hope would reduce snow buildup on pow days.

Mixed feelings on Poo using the same 12 gallon gas tank from the Axys - the rear of the tank is tapered for the shock/spring on the Axys chassis. On the Indy, they include a storage bag that fits in that tapered spot and it has a large volume of storage. Storage falls short on the Axys without a rear rack, so this is a plus. But, if Poo created a new fuel tank for the Indy, they probably would have gained about 1.5 gallons of fuel storage and with the “conventional” chassis of the Indy, there is lots of room to mount bags and accessories. Funny that other people are thinking the same thing as I am... I can mount BRP accessories back there (like a jerry fuel can - c'mon Poo, you are missing an opportunity).

I spent a lot of time looking at the new skid and wish'd I'd taken pictures of it. If this new skid is better than R-Motion, visually, it took a lot more parts than R-Motion has to make it better. I asked the Polaris rep about the new skid and the only thing I remember from the conversation is: "it's based on the design of the award winning Assault, etc and it's coupled vs. uncoupled on the Axys.... bla. bla. bla." My ADD kicked in.

Mixed feelings on the metal flake hood. A matted finish probably would look a little better. The Polaris rep said it was an engineering decision to make all the hoods one color. Seems to me that would have been a bean counter/financial decision rather than an engineering decision...

I like the Indy XC. If it's everything an Axys is with an even better rear skid and more storage, it should be a winner!

Snow buildup on POW days... Such a first world problem!!!

lennstang likes this.

Last edited by snowcrazed; 03-22-2018 at 09:19 AM.
snowcrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2018, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2018 850 XRS and 2017 Pro-S
Previous Sled(s): 2017 850 X, 2016 800 XRS, 2015 800 ProS, 2017 assault
Favorite Riding Area: Northern MI
18-19 Mileage 2000+
17-18 Mileage: 1100
Riding Since: 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcrazed View Post
It was great to have a Polaris Sneak Peek event here in Connecticut!! It's been many years since any of the MFGs have done such a thing here. Thank you to Polaris and Scranton Powersports for putting the event on!

The Indy is what I expected, an Axys with a coupled rear skid. The rear of the chassis doesn't look as "finished" as other brands. IMO, the rear visually has a "racing sled" appearance.

I like that Poo carried over the foot/running board rear angle/rise from the Axys. I love going up steep hills standing up, and putting my feet back where the foot boards angle up on my Axys. Other brands foot boards stay flat, have no angle and the boards get narrower as they go back. And if that other brand has Quick Adjust, it's in the way. The Indy footboards also have large openings which I would hope would reduce snow buildup on pow days.

Mixed feelings on Poo using the same 12 gallon gas tank from the Axys - the rear of the tank is tapered for the shock/spring on the Axys chassis. On the Indy, they include a storage bag that fits in that tapered spot and it has a large volume of storage. Storage falls short on the Axys without a rear rack, so this is a plus. But, if Poo created a new fuel tank for the Indy, they probably would have gained about 1.5 gallons of fuel storage and with the “conventional” chassis of the Indy, there is lots of room to mount bags and accessories. Funny that other people are thinking the same thing as I am... I can mount BRP accessories back there (like a jerry fuel can - c'mon Poo, you are missing an opportunity).

I spent a lot of time looking at the new skid and wish'd I'd taken pictures of it. If this new skid is better than R-Motion, visually, it took a lot more parts than R-Motion has to make it better. I asked the Polaris rep about the new skid and the only thing I remember from the conversation is: "it's based on the design of the award winning Assault, etc and it's coupled vs. uncoupled on the Axys.... bla. bla. bla." My ADD kicked in.

Mixed feelings on the metal flake hood. A matted finish probably would look a little better. The Polaris rep said it was an engineering decision to make all the hoods one color. Seems to me that would have been a bean counter/financial decision rather than an engineering decision...

I like the Indy XC. If it's everything an Axys is with an even better rear skid and more storage, it should be a winner!

Great info! I look forward to the reviews as I will not be able to attend the sneak peek in our area... I know we all have different areas we are looking to improve, but I for one LOVE the storage standard under the seat, not sure I would ever need more than 12 gallons of gas for where we ride... UP and Northern lower of Michigan... and I love the gloss paint on the hood, as the MI trail sticker will actually stick to that... no other place to put it on a polaris.. ( not on the windshield as we change windshields like underwear) Anxious to see what the suspension is like... Happily ordered a Poo 850 XC this year in a way of defiance against ski doo for continually cheapening out what is a fantastic product (no std storage whatsoever, dated guage, very limited snowcheck options, even no std handlebar pad etc...)
snowcrazed likes this.
Drew 00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: Northern MI, U.P.

What is it about the rear of the sled that looks so un-finished? Doesn't look a bit different from any sled I ever owned.
12meter joe is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

18-19 Mileage 2950

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12meter joe View Post
What is it about the rear of the sled that looks so un-finished?
I said "as finished", not "un-finished".

My statement is based on the following observations:

1. The rear light looks to be an after-thought. It's not integrated with the rear flap as you'd find on other sleds.

2. There are what I would call edges that appear to be sharp (but are not).

I don't get wrapped up in fit and finish (especially because we’re talking about a pre-production sled) but IMO you put the Indy next to a Doo XS or Gen 4 and your eye will catch differences in fit and finish. That's where I was going with "as finished". Much of which will be hidden once accessories are attached.

Last edited by snowcrazed; 03-22-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Brand loyal, not brand blind

Current Sled(s): 2019 AXYS Indy XC850 2015 Indy 600sp
Previous Sled(s): 2015 AXYS SWB800 Pro S
Favorite Riding Area: Vilas Co. Wisconsin
18-19 Mileage 1900
17-18 Mileage: 1,500
16-17 Mileage: 1,000
15-16 Mileage: 900
Riding Since: 1975

Those slots you have circled in green allow a carriage bolt to slide into to mount racks, bags etc to the tunnel.
You can then mount a rack like this and the Ski Doo link accessories fit onto it.

I would use this on a Indy XC that I had .on my 2015 Indy for a while
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lmp-1_compact_bracket-1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	436.2 KB
ID:	1989226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1013.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	1989242  
racerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 850 Assault 144

and the side pieces stop the snow from flying up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Trailer Build.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 Switchback Assault 800 Build Here.

calltrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

18-19 Mileage 2950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew 00 View Post
Great info! I look forward to the reviews as I will not be able to attend the sneak peek in our area... I know we all have different areas we are looking to improve, but I for one LOVE the storage standard under the seat, not sure I would ever need more than 12 gallons of gas for where we ride... UP and Northern lower of Michigan... and I love the gloss paint on the hood, as the MI trail sticker will actually stick to that... no other place to put it on a polaris.. ( not on the windshield as we change windshields like underwear) Anxious to see what the suspension is like... Happily ordered a Poo 850 XC this year in a way of defiance against ski doo for continually cheapening out what is a fantastic product (no std storage whatsoever, dated guage, very limited snowcheck options, even no std handlebar pad etc...)
All valid points!!

In the 600 thread I pointed out that on a 300+ mile ride, I need to make three gas stops and the other peeps I ride with only need to make two. No big deal, just a minor inconvenience. The storage is a huge plus!

FWIW, the hood is not just shiny black, it’s metal flake shiny black. It's the metal flake that seems out of place. Someone there described it as the same color as a bass boat. It looks sharp against some of the colors and not so sharp against some colors. It's the only option on all the snocheck colors. It looks really out of place on the all black sled that is mostly a matted finish. Again, just my opinion.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

18-19 Mileage 2950

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerdave View Post
Those slots you have circled in green allow a carriage bolt to slide into to mount racks, bags etc to the tunnel.
You can then mount a rack like this and the Ski Doo link accessories fit onto it.
Yes, and what I had in mind if I get an Indy. And making it easier to switch between Doo and Poo sleds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calltrex View Post
and the side pieces stop the snow from flying up
No doubt.

Last edited by snowcrazed; 03-22-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: Northern MI, U.P.

Quote:

Snow buildup on POW days... Such a first world problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew 00 View Post
Quote:
I said "as finished", not "un-finished".

My statement is based on the following observations:

1. The rear light looks to be an after-thought. It's not integrated with the rear flap as you'd find on other sleds.

2. There are what I would call edges that appear to be sharp (but are not).

I don't get wrapped up in fit and finish (especially because we’re talking about a pre-production sled) but IMO you put the Indy next to a Doo XS or Gen 4 and your eye will catch differences in fit and finish. That's where I was going with "as finished". Much of which will be hidden once accessories are attached.
(un-finished) (as finished) are pretty much the same thing lol.
snowcrazed likes this.
12meter joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement