Blown belts - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Sidewinder This is the section for Tech talk and discussion for the New Siddwinder. This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2017, 04:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2018 50th Anniversary Sidewinder
Previous Sled(s): Lot's
Favorite Riding Area: My back yard

based on all the testing , ride reviews and the plus and minuses of the sled,facts are facts ,the zr 9000 is the better choice?ski performance ride quality of the rear skid,and clutching and tuning of it.grab yourself some green coop.and buy yourself a blue and white sled wrap.be happy and enjoy the process..
blackjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2017, 07:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 LTX-LE
Favorite Riding Area: QC and District 14/15
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 4235 km
16-17 Mileage: 7074 km
Riding Since: 1988

7074 km same belt that came with the sled. LTX-LE Cleaned clutch faces after each long ride and washed the belt..oh and I wasn't nice to the belt all season after the careful break in at the start...just saying.. Stock clutching at that...
billyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR WEEZ View Post
Does anyone know if any clutching changes were made for 2018. I'm looking at a non current 2017 but if updates were made I'll go with an 18'.
No according to the rep at the snow show I went to.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

Current Sled(s): '17 Winder
Previous Sled(s): Have 2 other Doos, previously another doo and 3 Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by 800xr View Post
Buddy I ride with has the new Sidewinder and has blown 2 belts in 500 miles. 2nd one put a huge hole in the belly pan??? Anyone else have this issue?
Hopefully your friend has resolved the issue. First, the belts and clutches were delivered to some with excess oil from the air filter element on them. Clean the air filter in soap and water and clean the filter box, it is a dry element but came oil soaked from the manufacturer. Wash the belt in soap and water and clean the clutch sheaves with acetone. Scuff with scotch pad and re-clean with acetone. Check the offset of the clutches with the belt removed. Should be 58.1 to 68.1 mm. Procedure is in the owners manual. This seemed to be the main culprit. Also check for coil bind on both clutch springs. Swapping primary spring to one of the aftermarket company springs with glide washers is best. Shimming the secondary helix or machining the pocket eliminates rear problem. Lots of info on this topic at the TY winder forum. I installed a 265 hp tune and did many pulls on conditions from hard pack road to very deep powder for over an hour testing weight set up and had clutches that were cool to the touch. I did notice that the primary bushing was also seeming to not move as freely on the shaft when only warm so I will be putting an aftermarket cover on before next season.
ride-winder-part-doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 18' Sidewinder LTX LE
Previous Sled(s): 15 Yami's 3 Doo's
Favorite Riding Area: Northern ON & Da UP Eh
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 4095 km's
17-18 Mileage: 4430 km's
16-17 Mileage: 3786 km's
Riding Since: Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack1 View Post
based on all the testing , ride reviews and the plus and minuses of the sled,facts are facts ,the zr 9000 is the better choice?ski performance ride quality of the rear skid,and clutching and tuning of it.grab yourself some green coop.and buy yourself a blue and white sled wrap.be happy and enjoy the process..
The hell you say!
MR WEEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 06 Apex
Favorite Riding Area: Iron Horse, Manitowash

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzy View Post
How do you properly break-in a brand new belt? Lol
Really? I mean really? So you read the instructions on the package and you missed this?

Szledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 17 ZR 9000 limited

Quote:
So true.
lilrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:

sorry...no....the skis...okay yes for sure.....the clutching and belts...for sure yam ...cheaper belts...better built clutches by far...just some minor first year tweaks...and btw the shocks and valving on the flagship qs3r's is the same...

even the top tuners are admitting the sw is faster lol
**SJ** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2018 thundercat/16 xrs 800
Previous Sled(s): 12 f1100 turbo sp 12 xrs 800, 06 800x,14 gade x 800, 09 800x
Favorite Riding Area: mountain view, old forge, tug,
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1600
16-17 Mileage: 1450
Riding Since: 1988

Like sj said Yami has way better clutching, the team clutches are cheap light throw away version clutches. When d&d is pushing yamaha and saying the clutches are way better, that should tell you something!
wildeye12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement