Need info: Going to Snow Check a 2020 Switchback Assault 850 "or" a 2020 Backcountry XRS 850 (146") - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Switchback Assault/SKS/RMK (AXYS Platform) This is a brand-specific forumand a 100% NO BASH Zone. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2019, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need info: Going to Snow Check a 2020 Switchback Assault 850 "or" a 2020 Backcountry XRS 850 (146")

I have been following both sleds in the forums, magazines, and YouTube. It is easier of course to find more info on the Assault since it has been out so long with the big improvements in 2018.
I wish there were more comparisons on the 2019 Switchback Assault 850 vs the 2019 Backcountry XRS 850 which is a new sled from the previous "Renegade" Backcountry X 850.
Snowtrax did the 2018 Assault 800 vs a 2018 Renegade Backcountry X 850 but neither sled is what is currently out there.
My friend has a Snow Check 2019 Lava Red Backcountry XRS 850 with the 2" track and now has 1500 miles on it and loves it but has not ridden an Assault to compare with. Zero problems.
Which one to get??
Thart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2019, 02:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: WNY

I went threw this last year. The assault in its current form came out in 2017. The IGX crossover rear suspension is what makes it awesome. Ski doo copied it and came out with the backcountry in 2018 with what they call c motion rear suspension. The backcountry comes in 3 trim levels which are different suspensions but basically the same sled.

The biggest difference between them is the front end. The back country comes with a narrow front end and the assault comes with the same front end as the polaris trail sleds. The next difference is the chassis. The polaris is weight centered and the ski doo is more front end biased. Its personal preference but effects how they handle greatly.
BobRoss likes this.
snowmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Thart;20154264]I have been following both sleds in the forums, magazines, and YouTube. It is easier of course to find more info on the Assault since it has been out so long with the big improvements in 2018.
I wish there were more comparisons on the 2019 Switchback Assault 850 vs the 2019 Backcountry XRS 850 which is a new sled from the previous "Renegade" Backcountry X 850.
Snowtrax did the 2018 Assault 800 vs a 2018 Renegade Backcountry X 850 but neither sled is what is currently out there.
My friend has a Snow Check 2019 Lava Red Backcountry XRS 850 with the 2" track and now has 1500 miles on it and loves it but has not ridden an Assault to compare with. Zero problems.
Which one to get??

Will be riding in Michigan south of the bridge and areas inthe U.P.Will be riding 85% trails/15% off trail.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Thart;20154298][QUOTE=Thart;20154264]I have been following both sleds in the forums, magazines, and YouTube. It is easier of course to find more info on the Assault since it has been out so long with the big improvements in 2018.
Which one to get??

Will be riding in Michigan south of the bridge and areas inthe U.P. Will be riding 85% trails/15% off trail.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2008 700 Switchback
Favorite Riding Area: If there is snow, I go
Riding Since: 1994

If you plan on doing mostly trails, I would think the wider stance sled would be better. What sled are you coming from? Snowmachine had some solid information in his post.
BobRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 SBA 850
Previous Sled(s): 2004 venture 700 2005 renegade 800 2012 mxzx 800 2013 BCX
Favorite Riding Area: Ellershouse/ Bowater
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 3800km
17-18 Mileage: 3000 km
16-17 Mileage: 1800 km

I have been on Doos till this year. Was going to spring order a 2019 Backcountry x 850 as I already had an older backcountry x but there ware things about the gen 4 platform I was concerned about. I could not get a good deal out of my doo dealers so on a whim I snowchecked a 2019 switchback assault 850 2" track.

My riding buddy just bought a like new 2018 backcountry x 850 146 x 2" and we swapped sleds last weekend, here's my thoughts.

I prefer the trail width front, more stable and I don't do any sidehilling or tree cruising, my BCX would always be lifting a ski on the trail.

The doo x seat is a deal breaker for me, always liked them in the past but the gen 4 seat is tall and narrow, feels like a bag of jelly that is always trying to get out from under you.

Throttle- doo is jumpy, minimal range from idle to- oh, you want to go fast, do you? One would get used to it of course but the Poo 850 has more useable throttle feel.

Power- a draw, Poo is better for picking the front up in deep snow IMO.

Doo 850 sounds like crap first thing in the morning, rattles like a diesel, lots of vibration too.

Fuel and oil use is identical between both sleds on every run this season.

We were on a trail with 2 feet of powder, on the Doo the powder comes up over the windshield and bars all the time, never on the Poo ( maybe due to centered weight?)

After a few miles I hopped off and back on mine, made the right decision for me.
snowmachine, jmaxdox and BobRoss like this.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Riding Since: 1968

Doos motors are much better reliability wise and the
Doo has the quick ajust front end and the new seat this year
Funny the previous poster say fuel and oil milage are the same when everthing i have read say opposite...the Poo gets shitty gas milage,let alone oil pumps quitting
dskofich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

I wish I could delete two of my repeat posts while trying to figure out on how to delete.

I've been out of snowmobiling for years but I'm moving back to Michigan. I kept following the snowmobiles even though I was living down south.

I want to get back into it. Several of the guys I will be riding with are on 2019 Backcountry XRS 850's. They both rode some 2018 SKS 146 and like the fronts width and suspension but did not like the seats and the rear suspension. I know the rear suspension is a different animal, but even the Polaris guys like their Skidoos better, especially the rear on trails. One guy had a 2019 Indy XC with the mid reservoir Walker Evans rear most shock that people are buying and putting on their Assaults with lighter springs. The shock blew out on this guy's XCR and he said he wanted an Skidoo XRS also!
Old 02-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

If your mainly trail riding get a shorty and put a paddle on it so on the occasional offtrail it will be a blast. Seems like all ski doo guys buy longer tracks because the sleds look cooler and then try trail riding and they are no good for it. If i were you stick with the renegade or assault package with 1.6 track.
jmaxdox likes this.
Jrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: WNY

Your throwing a lot of totally different sleds out their in this post. The 146 Sks is like assault at the base of it but has narrow front end and doesn’t have needle front shocks like the assault and of course it has the 2.25 track. It’s not going to be the trail sled Assault is. The indy xc has totally different rear suspension design not even close to assault so you can’t really compare that either to assault. 85% trail I definitely think the assault is for you. Also keep in mind you must get the xrs trim back country to get the good shocks the x still has junk throw away shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thart View Post
I wish I could delete two of my repeat posts while trying to figure out on how to delete.

I've been out of snowmobiling for years but I'm moving back to Michigan. I kept following the snowmobiles even though I was living down south.

I want to get back into it. Several of the guys I will be riding with are on 2019 Backcountry XRS 850's. They both rode some 2018 SKS 146 and like the fronts width and suspension but did not like the seats and the rear suspension. I know the rear suspension is a different animal, but even the Polaris guys like their Skidoos better, especially the rear on trails. One guy had a 2019 Indy XC with the mid reservoir Walker Evans rear most shock that people are buying and putting on their Assaults with lighter springs. The shock blew out on this guy's XCR and he said he wanted an Skidoo XRS also!
swamper likes this.

Last edited by snowmachine; 02-21-2019 at 03:14 PM.
snowmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement