Walker Evans Velocity RTS - Page 25 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Switchback Assault/SKS/RMK (AXYS Platform) This is a brand-specific forumand a 100% NO BASH Zone. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree128Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2020, 01:34 PM   #241 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '17 Switch SP, '97 Ultra, XLT, RXL, 98 XC7
Previous Sled(s): '00 XCR 144, '97 XLT SP
Favorite Riding Area: Backwoods of Adk Mtns
Riding Since: 1992

Wantry, did you just do the Velocity on the Rear or Front Track shock too? Looking to do that probably next year to my Switchy 144 which is same geometry as Assault, but with Fox non-clickers.
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2020, 02:10 PM   #242 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 SWB Assault 800; 2016 SWB Pro-S 800
Previous Sled(s): Started on 1972 Yamaha 338
Favorite Riding Area: Away from the crowds
19-20 Mileage: 414
18-19 Mileage: 2313
17-18 Mileage: 3870
16-17 Mileage: 936
Riding Since: 1987

I just did the rear shock and springs.

When I got the sled, first few rides set up with the default settings, I wanted more performance out of all four stations (IFS x2, FTS, and RTS).

I was able to get what I wanted out of IFS and FTS within the existing range of adjustment on the stock Walker shocks and factory springs. Messing with the spring preloads made a bigger difference than messing with the shocks. Once I got them set up I have pretty much left them alone.

The same could not be said for stock RTS and torsion springs, I found myself constantly having to get off the sled and change the spring tension and clickers depending on changes to trail conditions.

Once I get back a functioning Velocity RTS I am prolly going to have to back out a little more FTS spring preload (I like the neck snapping fore-and-aft transfer, others don't), but other than that I have no further plans to upgrade.
Wantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #243 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticGabe View Post
Thanks. I'm quite familiar with rebuilding standard (non-piggyback) Fox shocks, and I have all the tools + nitrogen for those. I'd like to get an idea of how different these WE Velocity shocks are and what additional tools I'd need to service them.

How different are they from Fox? Do you know of an online video that explains any unique procedures needed?
Not much, just a little tricky bleeding air but for the most part the only difference is your piston is in reservoir instead of main tube.
Sledtuner360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2020, 08:15 PM   #244 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 Polaris Assault 800
Previous Sled(s): 2015 Polaris 800 Pro X Switchback
Favorite Riding Area: Bosebuck, ME
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 2100
Riding Since: 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennstang View Post
Did you get them yet?

Finally! Picking them up tomorrow! Have all 4 and was told they are the Iron Dog setup valving! Just read this whole thread again! Man oh man! I like the “Lenn Shock”! Let you know once this warm weather passes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lennstang and Sledtuner360 like this.
prolaserguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:23 AM   #245 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2010 D8- 2017 600 Switchback SP
Previous Sled(s): 2009 D8
Favorite Riding Area: Arrowhead
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 175
16-17 Mileage: 585
Riding Since: 1991

Holy MF’r. I am in shock assault. I am dazed and confused. My Assault crapped out a FTS and I ended ordering a 2020 accessory shock. $285.00. This in depth analysis is awesome, but I see like 6-8 shocks here and don’t know which way to go on RTS.

In any event, thanks Len.
lennstang likes this.
koodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:55 PM   #246 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

19-20 Mileage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prolaserguy View Post
Finally! Picking them up tomorrow! Have all 4 and was told they are the Iron Dog setup valving! Just read this whole thread again! Man oh man! I like the “Lenn Shock”! Let you know once this warm weather passes!

Lenn I just picked up my sled with all the Velocities installed and noticed the FTS spring is set to 2”. Stock is supposed to be 1.25”. Where is your FTS spring height set too? Thx in advanced!

Old 01-11-2020, 05:20 PM   #247 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

19-20 Mileage:
Default Walker Evans Velocity RTS

Posting my part #’s for reference. Hope they’re right ones!!

FG-7044819 RTS
FG-7044878 FTS
A-SH-422-32-110 IFS (Iron Dog)
7045203-458 250#x8 coil spring. FTS

Did anyone use the FTS listed above? Where did you end up with Spring setting?

Not sure what the FG means on the above?
Also here is a pick of the FTS need tool for Clickers.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:47 PM   #248 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): ‘20 Indy XCR 850 ‘20 Assault 850
Previous Sled(s): 2012 Ski Doo 600XRS, 2016 ski doo 800 xrs, 2017 Polaris Pro-
Favorite Riding Area: Northern Quebec
19-20 Mileage: 2500
18-19 Mileage: 2500 mi
17-18 Mileage: 2000 mi
16-17 Mileage: 2500 mi
Riding Since: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantry View Post
Finally got to test yesterday. It was a good venue to test since I was up on the Tug (only show in town right now in this BS riding season that we've had to date), enjoyed a nice morning whiteout, and what groomers were out were struggling to keep up with more traffic on a weekday than I have seen in 30 years' riding there.

Here's the 195 mile report on the WE 7044819 "velocity" shock with hi-lo adjustment, and the Polaris 7041627 soft torsion springs, on a '19 Assault 800. I started with both Hi and Lo clickers and the spring rate blocks set in the middle of range.

As a point of reference I'm 190 lb. In addition to the stuff that every sledder carries, I have about another 25 lb. of personal protective equipment, survival items, digging and recovery stuff, tools, and parts on the sled and on my person. As to riding style, I stand up a lot of the time and when the trail gets rough I tend to use throttle to carry the front end, instead of slowing down.

The Good: Holy shit when this setup works right, it's cheating physics. I could absolutely feel the Velocity shock "squish" and slow way down at the end of its travel. This led to super-predictable handling in the rough, and bottoming didn't hurt! The first 100 miles were a revelation of what can be possible with a well balanced long-travel uncoupled suspension. I really enjoyed how the Assault handled stock, and this takes it to a whole other level.

The Not So Good but I can Figure it Out: Handling is more predictable than stock, but, it's not quite as quick to turn in. Something has slightly slowed down the timing of weight transfer. It doesn't lift the skis as far or as fast under hard acceleration; and it doesn't transfer weight back onto the skis (i.e. "face plant") as sharply under deceleration. It feels like the Velocity shock has more low-speed damping than the stock shock; and the lighter spring doesn't pitch the sled back onto its face as hard as the stock spring. It's unnoticeable in most corners, and I bet it's easily solved somewhere between harder torsion spring setting, a softer low-speed clicker setting, and maybe some front track spring preload tinkering.

The Ugly, maybe: 100 miles in, the "squish" disappeared from the end of the Velocity shock travel, and the skid was crashing through the full travel of the shock and bottoming hard. That did hurt! Adding more clicks of high speed damping didn't produce any change in ride, which I think means that it's 86'd. So I set spring blocks to high, left the hi clicker two clicks from firm, and bounced home as best I could.

I'm not pissing on Walker here, or on Lenn's setup. This worked better than stock, when it worked. That said if Walker will warranty the piece, I will be glad to take them up on it. Calling them shortly to see where to go from here.

I also think that for my local terrain and riding style I will be better served with firmer valving, maybe a lot firmer (25-50%); and maybe returning to the stock torsion spring, too. Will share results here... welcome feedback and input...

I believe I just experienced the same thing as you. For reference, I have the velocity ifs shocks, lighter torsion springs and the velocity rear 7044819. I weigh 185 with gear and had a gear bag. I went up to the Cochrane area this past weekend. First 30 miles was very impressed versus my 19 Indy. Had the torsions on low and 3 clicks from full soft.

Then over the next few hours had to increasingly add clicks and torsion setting to prevent bottoming. Then after 2 hours would crash through pretty much any bump. So I spent most of the weekend standing lol.

I’ve never had a new shock “go bad” or have so much break in that this would be a break in issue? My guess is that it needs to be sent back?

m-ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:45 PM   #249 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 SWB Assault 800; 2016 SWB Pro-S 800
Previous Sled(s): Started on 1972 Yamaha 338
Favorite Riding Area: Away from the crowds
19-20 Mileage: 414
18-19 Mileage: 2313
17-18 Mileage: 3870
16-17 Mileage: 936
Riding Since: 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-ro View Post
I’ve never had a new shock “go bad” or have so much break in that this would be a break in issue? My guess is that it needs to be sent back?
I've never had a new shock shit the bed til now, but I have had something similar happen after a rebuild. It's not a break-in issue, it's a leak. I had the same ride experience as you (mine just made it a little further before it shit the bed). Also noticed the sled wouldn't rebound from compressed/sagged state to full ride height -- it would drop 7-9" with my weight in the saddle and stay compressed after I stepped off the sled. And once I took the shock off, I could see and feel that the rebound stroke was slow and weak compared to a fresh shock.

Once I got hold of Walker Evans Racing, which took some doing, they committed to ship me a new one. The tech was up front that they don't have any in stock and it will be a few weeks. At least he was honest about it.

I'm not super stoked that I probably won't get the replacement during what's left of this riding season, but, I still have the stock needle RTS that came on the sled and that's gonna have to do for now. I'm going to try it with the soft springs and see how that goes.
m-ro likes this.
Wantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #250 (permalink)

I just recieved the lighter torsion springs. They look identical to the springs on the sled. Is there a noticeable difference in size compared to the stiff springs that come stock? When comparing them side by side they look identical. Just want to make sure they sent me the right springs before I install them.

Also does anyone have advice or recommendation on installing them? Tough job? I came from a Switchback pros and have never installed torsion springs.

Thanks in advance for advice/help fellas!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
5shotsovwhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement