Who's using the Lock & Ride Backcountry Tunnel Bag? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Switchback Assault/SKS/RMK (AXYS Platform) This is a brand-specific forumand a 100% NO BASH Zone. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Site Moderator - Chris

Current Sled(s): 2018 Switchback Assault 800
Previous Sled(s): '16 SB Pro-X; '15 Rush Pro-S; '12 SB Pro-R; '09 Dragon -Cats
Favorite Riding Area: Lake Namakagon/Cable, WI
18-19 Mileage 457
17-18 Mileage: 2032
16-17 Mileage: 825
15-16 Mileage: 1100
Riding Since: 1975
Default Who's using the Lock & Ride Backcountry Tunnel Bag?

I scored a deal on one of these Lock & Ride bags, and have a saddlebag trip scheduled for next week across the U.P. I was curious if anyone with experience using this bag has any tips/suggestions? Some of the negative comments I've heard include:

1. It doesn't stay secured in place
2. It will scratch the rear tunnel finish
3. Increases the temps as it doesn't allow the rear cooler to work efficiently

I don't know that I can do much about #1, other than follow the instructions to make sure it's latched and secured in place. For #2, is it worth putting something on the tunnel prior to installing the bag? Even if it's something simple like tape of some sort? For #3, I have the SKS snow flap installed so I hope that's good enough. I also have a set of (uninstalled) scratchers. After last weekend's trip though, I'm thinking the scratchers aren't necessary since I had some time on plowed roads and the sled seemed to hold up pretty well.

Anyway, if you guys with experience have suggestions on how to best use this bag ... I'm interested in your feedback! Thanks
Bontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2018, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 assault 800/ 2017 600 assault
Previous Sled(s): doo rs 860 mod,xp tnt, mxz,cat, merc
Favorite Riding Area: leelanau co.
Riding Since: 1971

I got a good deal on one of the Burandt bags used $45.. I think the reason it was such a deal is when I mounted it one of the clamps didn't tighten up that tight and another was so, so. There is a thick rubber squish washer with a couple regular washers that are on the post with the flip latch on top. The latch pops off as the previous owner didn't know and all you have to do is get a ss washers that size and drop it on the post. Adding one washer and I could hardly get it latched it was so tight. I would think the rubber down the line will squish out some more and I will have to slide another washer in. As far as running hot..not. I still run same temps, theres on snow on top of the cooler most the time on your sled. I didn't put any thing under mine, it will probably have a rub mark from it but I don't plan on running with out it as most my gear is in it. If I was a little 1000 grit sand paper and the buffer will clean it up.
Bontz likes this.

Last edited by big tom; 01-16-2018 at 02:54 PM.
big tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 17' SBA 800 1.3
Favorite Riding Area: U.P. Michigan
Riding Since: 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bontz View Post
I scored a deal on one of these Lock & Ride bags, and have a saddlebag trip scheduled for next week across the U.P. I was curious if anyone with experience using this bag has any tips/suggestions? Some of the negative comments I've heard include:

1. It doesn't stay secured in place
2. It will scratch the rear tunnel finish
3. Increases the temps as it doesn't allow the rear cooler to work efficiently

I don't know that I can do much about #1, other than follow the instructions to make sure it's latched and secured in place. For #2, is it worth putting something on the tunnel prior to installing the bag? Even if it's something simple like tape of some sort? For #3, I have the SKS snow flap installed so I hope that's good enough. I also have a set of (uninstalled) scratchers. After last weekend's trip though, I'm thinking the scratchers aren't necessary since I had some time on plowed roads and the sled seemed to hold up pretty well.

Anyway, if you guys with experience have suggestions on how to best use this bag ... I'm interested in your feedback! Thanks
I have the lock and ride shovel bag. #1 it says on perfect. If you do happen to break a latch or loose latch parts, Polaris sells a latch replacement kit. I have had zero issues with mine.
#2I pulled my beg after 1000 miles to clean sled. Im not going to say that there is not a touch of buffing, but very little, and I will always keep this bag on, so it is fine. If you are concerned, you could put a layer of painters tape I guess, but really a little wax and it should be fine.
#3. I does not raise the temps at all. I have also read this, but I can see no raise in temp and mine usually runs at 126f degree.....2107 SBA
Bontz likes this.
sleddog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2018, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Admin

Current Sled(s): 2020 Indy XC 850 137 On the way
Previous Sled(s): Many Poo's & Doo's 1 POS Cat
Favorite Riding Area: Northeast WI, UP
18-19 Mileage 1470
17-18 Mileage: 684
16-17 Mileage: 694
15-16 Mileage: 1112
Riding Since: 1968

Never had a problem with mine not staying securely on or in place.

I put 4 strips of 1 1/4"x3/16" high density foam weather stripping on the bottom of mine to help prevent the scratching. I'll be trying it out this week to see how it works. MINOR scratches from using it last year now and then.

I didn't notice any difference in temps with it on.
Bontz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A05GSHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 18 Polaris SB Assault, 18 Doo Blizzard
Previous Sled(s): Gades, XPs,Firecats, SRXs, Poos
Favorite Riding Area: UP, Maine, North Cent. PA
18-19 Mileage 2050
17-18 Mileage: 2500
16-17 Mileage: 2700
15-16 Mileage: 1400
Riding Since: 1985

SkinZ NXT LVL FLY quick release bag works great and keeps stuff dryer. Got mine on eBay from Country Cat
Old 01-16-2018, 11:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Top gun "The Switchback Assault"!

I'm going to get some rails and strap this bag on the back. After years of wrestling 4 skidoo linq bags in every night I saw one of my buddies with this and I thought it was genius! And the assault is long enough to pull it off. Baller!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8794f25a53431f521918884b6ec0b269_1516161836045.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1936218  
Old 01-17-2018, 12:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2005 700 XCSP
Previous Sled(s): 1990 Polaris Indy Trail
Riding Since: 1988

I also have the lock and ride tunnel bag and here are my thoughts:

No issues at all with it staying in place. On my first trip out west with it I would unlatch the bag and bring it in the hotel room every night to dry out, and repack as necessary - that was very convenient (and by dry out I mainly mean the outside as it stayed dry inside).

In the center of the tunnel there is a raised piece runs the length of the tunnel and the bag will rub on this.. I covered that with a piece of 3M paint protectant film. If I had more time I would have considered having the whole top of the tunnel covered but it was a last minute thought. I see some marks on the tunnel where the 4 locking mechanisms touch it but nowhere else.

This is the first I had heard about cooling concerns! I haven't run mine without it on so I can't say for sure but in marginal snow conditions I have been running pretty warm - low to mid 140's. I installed the RMK snow flap and that seems to bring it down about 5 degrees. Of course in powder or trails with fresh snow it rarely breaks 100... I would believe that the bag does act as a bit of an insulator to the coolers located under the rear tunnel. How much is debatable but it's probably at least a few degrees. I will see if I can test this on my next ride!

Appearance-wise I think the Polaris tunnel bags look great. Like they were made to go on the sled! I have seen lots of others that may be quite functional but look out of place in my opinion!
andreej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 Switchback Assault 800
Previous Sled(s): 17 ProS 600 SB, 14 SBA 800, 09 D8, 03 500 Classic
Favorite Riding Area: Off the beaten path
18-19 Mileage 1380.9
17-18 Mileage: 1481
16-17 Mileage: 1152
15-16 Mileage: 723
Riding Since: 1990

I am running the small Burandt bag now. Stays tight, never unhooked in any East Coast boondocking situation, never wet inside. It does sit direct on the tunnel so there is some associated “marks” but nothing a quick rub down shouldn’t.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 19 Indy XC 850, 18 SBA 800 LE
Previous Sled(s): 12 600 Rush, 76 Twister,17 SBA 800 LE, 15 Pro X 800 SB
Favorite Riding Area: Northern WI & U.P.
Riding Since: 1980

I've got the small Burandt bag as well....ran it last year and this year. Tight fit with the rubber bushings at first, but if you push down hard as you turn to secure, you want have an issue. The velcro compartment separators are a bit of a pain but are easily removed.

Had it on for 1300 miles last year and didn't affect my tunnel at all. I didn't put anything on to protect it.

Never had a cooling issue....

I have it on my 18' and finding the same. Just don't put a bottle of any liquid in there.....i thought i had a bottle of Vitamin Water all nice and secured inside....nope! the entire thing leaked all over and was absorbed by a stocking cap. No liquids back there would be my only recommendation.
wery7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Site Moderator - Chris

Current Sled(s): 2018 Switchback Assault 800
Previous Sled(s): '16 SB Pro-X; '15 Rush Pro-S; '12 SB Pro-R; '09 Dragon -Cats
Favorite Riding Area: Lake Namakagon/Cable, WI
18-19 Mileage 457
17-18 Mileage: 2032
16-17 Mileage: 825
15-16 Mileage: 1100
Riding Since: 1975

Thanks for all the feedback fellas

I'm just a little concerned since I haven't used it (haven't even installed it yet) and we leave for that tour next week. One of those, "I just want this to work!" deals.

For those who've used it on saddle bag trips, do you remove it every day after you're done - or do you try to keep everything in a bag of some sort & just remove that from the storage (and leave the bag on the sled)? I'm guessing remove it every night ... which I probably want to do anyway from a security perspective.
Bontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement