Hardcore Sledder banner

Headlights Not Working

13K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  prorhound 
#1 ·
Fired up the 800 Rush for the season the other day and noticed that the headlight wasn't bright, just barely amber. It was fine last season. I thought that it might be the low battery so I charged it up. The charger said 'sulfated/weak' when it was finished, but it has enough juice to fire the sled right up when you turn the key.

Hooked the charged battery up and it still wasn't bright. I pulled the hood/headlight off the 600 Rush and tried it on the 800. Same result. Everything else seems to function as it should. Flicking between high and low beam changes between bulb filaments, but that 's it.

Everything looks to be hooked up and I can't find any frayed wires or such.

Any ideas?

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
I'm thinking dc, did you check voltage at the hood plugin? Do your hand warmers heat up? Might wanna check voltage in a few places but I'm sure if the stator wasn't throwing enough voltage it would throw a code. Take the battery out and see what happens with voltage. I'm pretty sure the battery does nothing but turn over the starter on these things same as my 09.

#7 ·
I had a left Grip heater go out - and at the same time my buddy noticed the lights weren't on much - similar to your pictures. I pulled one of the wires out from under the grip (bad solder joint) and my lights came back on. In short I would bet it's a short! If your grip heater isn't working I'd start there.....

#8 ·
lights should be ac looks like a bad ground somewhere. find the main chasis ground and check it and make sure it is not loose or corroded. check the battery terminals for corrosion too. not likely a short

#9 ·
Well, we've got a winner, @mick49157:

Handwarmers on: Lights go out. Handwarmers off: Lights go on.

As soon as I removed the brake lever/switch assembly the wire fell out of the grip. I'm thinking I damaged it when I rotated the brake lever at some point, there isn't much wiggle room for the heater wire in the clamp.

All I need is one new heating element and I'm good to go. Thanks for the help guys! :fistpump2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.