Hardcore Sledder banner

Running rich?

5K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  flasch7192 
#1 ·
My sled has a problem of running rich ( mild blubbering ) up to 1/4 throttle. How can this be fixed? 2012 xf800 sp. it has done it from new but since I put on a mbrp muffler it seems worse.

Sent from Snowmobile.com Free App

#13 ·
I believe the theory on it is that the sensor is right by the opening of the air intake so ECU thinks the air is colder than it actually is by the time it makes it through the air box and into the throttle bodies.

#17 ·
So has anyone actually done this? If so please explain results.

Mine never had the stutter or blubber so I assume it helped, I am cutting a 2014 turbo air vent screen directly in front of the throttle body's thru the black center plastic on front end, having the air temp sensor there will definitely help with that. When vent shows up and I install it I will post pictures, Smitty

#16 ·
I relocated mine back in the fall of 2011 when it was new,, mounted the iat between the throttle body's on plate that seals them, I didn't want it to get a artificially low number form air flow acrossed it but I did want it to see actual air box temp going in vs hot air temp near the speedo 18 inches away, Smitty

#18 ·
Air temp sensor relocation is a must just for consistency reasons, sensor location stock is on top of hood above exhaust pipe, airbox becomes heat soaked and actual air temp vs air temp in airbox can differ as much as 20 degrees on long runs, (have seen it on dyno too with back to back runs). Moving sensor downstream in airbox away from exhaust heat will result in much more accurate and consistant readings. But it will actually be richer when moved due to reading colder (realistic) air temps.

#20 ·
I thought the sensor was moved to help with overfueling? Thought sensor saw cold air but air temp rose as it moved through heated up air box and into throttle bodies.I Must have misread Jim's article from dyno tech.

#22 ·
My sled has a problem of running rich ( mild blubbering ) up to 1/4 throttle. How can this be fixed? 2012 xf800 sp. it has done it from new but since I put on a mbrp muffler it seems worse.

Make sure your oil pump is not stuck and overoiling

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.