I would have never guessed electric start could cause so much damage - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Rush/Switchback (AXYS Platform) This is a brand-specific forumand a 100% NO BASH Zone. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2017, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator - Chris

Current Sled(s): 2016 Switchback 800 Pro-X
Previous Sled(s): '15 Rush Pro-S; '12 SB Pro-R; '11 Rush Pro-R; '09 D8; '07 F8
Favorite Riding Area: Lake Namakagon/Cable, WI
16-17 Mileage: 825
15-16 Mileage: 1100
14-15 Mileage: 1153
13-14 Mileage: 1450
Riding Since: 1975
Default I would have never guessed electric start could cause so much damage

Looks like I'm going to be on the shelf for a bit. So if Mother Nature kicks into high gear now, you guys can thank me!!

I'm trying to stay positive, but it's depressing as hell when you know you're "done". We were out yesterday, on a couples trip, and a buddy of mine was using my sled for the day. About midway through the ride, I see him puled over to the side of the trail and that sinking feeling is going through my mind ... just by the way he's standing there. He says, "Bontz - something's wrong. I heard a big BANG and then some grinding noise."

I go to pull off my side panel, and before I even get started I see oil is pouring out ... and all I can think of is, "oh fawk". Pulled the side panel and see shrapnel under the clutching, and then I see it ... my ring gear from electric start snapped off and grenaded. Oil is pouring out from my oil reservoir, which I eventually found was due to the oil line being severed from the reservoir altogether. My primary has some nice gouges in it, and my secondary - of all things - has about a nickel sized hole in the outer sheeve.

I'm still not 100% sure of what all is wrong inside because I just wanted to get the thing off the trail. So we towed it to the nearest road & I worked out a plan to go get my truck & trailer. I assume it's the ring gear that did it all, but need to look it over closer. Now my biggest fear is warranty - might be a learning lesson for me. When I snowchecked, I opted out of the 4-year plan (never really keep my sleds that long and never had much need). I'm hoping it's the 2-year warranty on it, where the 1st year is Polaris and the 2nd year is the deductible. If it's a 1-year warranty, I'm hosed.

I'll try to get some pics later today. But the one take away I'm having from this is .... it really makes me second guess electric start. Ugh

Old 01-29-2017, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Riding Since: 1861

OMG, first thing, thankful no one was hurt. Since we've just seen two other posts where a ring gear / possible bolts failed, tends to make a person think your issue could be along the same lines. With that said, even if your out of warranty it's the kind of issue Polaris should step up to the plate on regardless of warranty or not.
Please keep us up to speed.
zr sled head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 XCR Rush 600
Previous Sled(s): Anything But a Bombi!!
Favorite Riding Area: Where ever there is snow!!
14-15 Mileage: 2187 miles
Riding Since: 1965

That sucks. But you will have warranty because all S\C sleds get 2 year warranty.

Last edited by U-Wish!; 01-29-2017 at 10:59 AM.
U-Wish! is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2017, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2008 Polaris FST & 2005 Polaris 600 Classic
Previous Sled(s): 1996 Polaris 800 Indy Storm-RIP and a Polaris 340 TXL
Location: Central Penna where you have to travel at least 6 hours to ride a snowmobile
Favorite Riding Area: Boonville and Otter Lake
Riding Since: 10
Default Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Wish! View Post
That sucks. But you will have warranty because all S\C sleds get 2 tear warranty.
If the above is true your in luck. Hope you get it up and running soon.
palerider9999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I was looking at many different demo sleds when I was purchasing this fall and I opted for the only non-es sled they had. Mostly because just adding ES bumped the price 700$. Now with some of the issues we are seeing that are directly related to ES I am happier just pull starting the sled.

Hopefully Polaris steps up to the plate if this starts to be a safety issue and does a recall.
f7ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: salisbury, speculator, cny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bontz View Post
Looks like I'm going to be on the shelf for a bit. So if Mother Nature kicks into high gear now, you guys can thank me!!

I'm trying to stay positive, but it's depressing as hell when you know you're "done". We were out yesterday, on a couples trip, and a buddy of mine was using my sled for the day. About midway through the ride, I see him puled over to the side of the trail and that sinking feeling is going through my mind ... just by the way he's standing there. He says, "Bontz - something's wrong. I heard a big BANG and then some grinding noise."

I go to pull off my side panel, and before I even get started I see oil is pouring out ... and all I can think of is, "oh fawk". Pulled the side panel and see shrapnel under the clutching, and then I see it ... my ring gear from electric start snapped off and grenaded. Oil is pouring out from my oil reservoir, which I eventually found was due to the oil line being severed from the reservoir altogether. My primary has some nice gouges in it, and my secondary - of all things - has about a nickel sized hole in the outer sheeve.

I'm still not 100% sure of what all is wrong inside because I just wanted to get the thing off the trail. So we towed it to the nearest road & I worked out a plan to go get my truck & trailer. I assume it's the ring gear that did it all, but need to look it over closer. Now my biggest fear is warranty - might be a learning lesson for me. When I snowchecked, I opted out of the 4-year plan (never really keep my sleds that long and never had much need). I'm hoping it's the 2-year warranty on it, where the 1st year is Polaris and the 2nd year is the deductible. If it's a 1-year warranty, I'm hosed.

I'll try to get some pics later today. But the one take away I'm having from this is .... it really makes me second guess electric start. Ugh
man that sucks. kind of strange that the drive would do anything when it's not cranking. just kind of sits there. almost as bad as my kidney stone taking me out , missing all the good early season riding. cost wise, we are probably spending the same.
sleepybrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 800 Rush Pro-S Ann. 2012 600 Rush Pro R
Previous Sled(s): 2010 F5 LXR, 2000 ZR 600
16-17 Mileage: 612
15-16 Mileage: 113
14-15 Mileage: 4135
13-14 Mileage: 2206

That's several of the same issue in a couple days now.
jyufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 Pro X Switchy, 2013 TD F1100 Turbo
Previous Sled(s): IQR 797, XCR 8, Pro X 800, XC 700, Pro XR 440, XCR 440's
Favorite Riding Area: Here
16-17 Mileage: 2000
15-16 Mileage: 2000
14-15 Mileage: 1500
13-14 Mileage: 2500+
Riding Since: 1980

At least it didn't damage your cases Bontz.... Clutches are easily replaced... You should be back up and running in no time.... Fight with warranty dept. later if need be....
Old 01-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Lummox

Current Sled(s): 2011 pro r 800 rush retro,03 ZR 900(sold)
Previous Sled(s): 1998 xcr700,1998 xc700,1988 400 classic
Location: MT Olympus, Manitoba,the north end of the Interlake
Favorite Riding Area: Over there
15-16 Mileage: 1000
14-15 Mileage: Lol
13-14 Mileage: 1500
Riding Since: 1867

If it is covered by warrenty then you should be fine sucks tho. Can the dealer not loan you a sled in the meantime? Would suck to be done so early, especially if your season came late ...
And btw..es is for women jk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98 % perspiration, and 2% attention to detail
xcr700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Rush Pro-R
Previous Sled(s): ZR600, F7, F8 SP
Favorite Riding Area: yooper or hayward, lakewood
15-16 Mileage: 570 sucked
14-15 Mileage: 1150
13-14 Mileage: 900
Riding Since: 1985

Bontz that sucks, I was thinking about getting ES when I pull the trigger on a new 1 soon. Now I'm reconsidering. Good luck with the warranty too this is something they should be covering
Bradd is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement