Loading a Deckover vs Inline - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Snowmobile Trailers & Haulers Section for discussions about trailers & other ways of hauling snowmobiles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2016, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Default Loading a Deckover vs Inline

Long story short... I bought a house in the mountains last year which turned out to have direct trail access. My wife and I decided to buy a couple of sleds last fall (We are Noobies). Winter sucked and we were only able to ride 2 days from the house but had a blast.

This year, I refuse to be stranded with no snow and I'm looking at buying a trailer. I've never loaded sleds into a trailer so I'm not really sure what "obvious" things I"m missing here in regards to a Deckover vs Inline.

I'm about an hour from Proline in NH so I'm going to buy from them as everyone seems to love their stuff and I love the idea of buying something made in NH. The cost for a 101" vs the 716 Inline is close enough so I can swing either. (We have 2x Renegades) I have a 2015 F150 so I can tow either and I don't care about the gas mileage differences.

Loading... Is there anything tricky about loading the inline? Do I have to lift up and move the sleds over or can you really just drive them up the ramp and "strap" them down? Same thing for the deckover? Why do some people say that loading an inline is a pain?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TTA89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2016, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2009 YAMAHA VECTOR LTX & 08 VECTOR SHORTY
Previous Sled(s): 97-ZRT600,98-XTC600 & 500 XTC, 95-ZR580,91-MX, 86-INDY,
Favorite Riding Area: IDAHO
15-16 Mileage: 1425
14-15 Mileage: 1223
13-14 Mileage: 1150
Riding Since: 1980

Maybe watch a few videos on trailers to see which one fits you the best. If I was only using the trailer for sleds and there storage I would go with a Hybrid 12 ft. It would take up much less space to park than an inline.!
DGZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I would personally go with an in-line. For towing, they tow better and you can see around them easier. As far as loading, the ramps are not nearly as steep which makes them easier to walk up and down and easier to load, you can have higher interior height and keep the same overall height being the deck is closer to the ground. Personally I don't like trailer with only a single axle, if a tire ever blows you have nothing else to support the trailer (hang on). I would buy a trailer that would hold three sleds even though you only have two, it's nice to have room to move around them and not have to shift them to fit. I have a 4-place with 2-3 sleds in it, I can drive them all straight on without moving them. I don't generally use the front ramp, I drive them on and back them off. I love my in-line (NEO).
vettex1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 TZ!
Previous Sled(s): 2003 Polaris Touring

Sounds like you will be hoping not to move the trailer too often, riding from home whenever possible. In that case, I would think the hybrid like above would work well. Since it's a deck over, you can put either one in and out without having to move the other. You could put a block under the back do it doesn't tip, leave it disconnected from a truck, and store the sleds in there, ready to ride from home when possible. Don't have to worry about which one is buried in the front.
polariscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Renegade 800
Previous Sled(s): Yamaha, Cat, Polaris
Favorite Riding Area: Allagash
14-15 Mileage: 2950

In my opinion a big benefit to an inline over a hybrid are 15" wheels instead of 10" wheels. Inlines use larger size tires and because of that they last longer, the hubs see less abuse and the trailer rides better over inclement weather and poor roads. Just my opinion but I have driven both and it's a big difference. When people say they tow better, it's not just less wind resistance, a lot of that is the tires.
jethroxlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 15 XF 6000, 14 XF 7000, 11 Xfire 800, z120
Previous Sled(s): F7, F5, Sabercat and a 1970 Panther EXT still goin strong!
Favorite Riding Area: Where the snow is!
15-16 Mileage: 200 feet
14-15 Mileage: 2800
13-14 Mileage: 900
Riding Since: 1978

Yup 15" gets you radials over bias ply on the 10"
shimxtr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polariscobra View Post
Sounds like you will be hoping not to move the trailer too often, riding from home whenever possible. In that case, I would think the hybrid like above would work well. Since it's a deck over, you can put either one in and out without having to move the other. You could put a block under the back do it doesn't tip, leave it disconnected from a truck, and store the sleds in there, ready to ride from home when possible. Don't have to worry about which one is buried in the front.
I'll probably store the sleds in the trailer during the summer, but in the winter I'll keep them in the garage... Probably the trailer too.

wheel/tire size is a good point. For the times I will use it, I'd like it to just be hassle free.

Size for storage is not a problem.

TTA89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): XS X Gade
Previous Sled(s): Lots of Doo's
Favorite Riding Area: Where the snow is deeeep
15-16 Mileage: Not enough
Riding Since: 2002

I just bought a deck over hybrid from pro line, I too found it hard to choose between the two, I went with the hybrid due to ease of storing it, also pro lines inline is not a v nose so your driving in and backing out with either trailer. The inline was 20 feet long compared to 16, so storing it will be a little easier on me, whatever you do I highly recommend getting the 6 1" roof height compared to the 5 6", IMO can't go wrong with either trailer, pro line makes a great trailer.
qwick68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Cats
Favorite Riding Area: UP, Caddy
Riding Since: 1492

Quote:
Originally Posted by polariscobra View Post

I agree. I would opt for a hybrid if I wasn't towing much, or a short distance.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

15'' wheels and tandem axles do tow great, but electric brakes and winter salt means more maintenance down the road, a single axle hybrid would be a lot easier to move around in that nice garage. Just something to think about.
oldrider54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement