Hardcore Sledder banner

1998 Polaris Indy 500 broke ski skin-should I replace with plastic skis?

12K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  RideSDS43 
#1 ·
So I peeled back the front 12" or so of my left ski skin the other day as I was crossing a small stream and the metal ski went above the edge of the ice and the skin went under. Is this common? Has anyone else ever broken a skin?

If I end up just replacing the skis with plastics, can I get just any skis or do they have to be model specific? Are there sizing guidelines? Who likes skegs?

Thanks for any info.

#2 ·
Plastic skis are a very nice upgrade from the metal skis. I have a couple indy 500's and an XLT all 97 & 98's. That is the FIRST thing I did after I bought them. Shaves weight for sure, and depending on what skis you buy the handling is much improved, even just with the stock OEM plastic skis.

Any plastic skis from the 98-2005 Polaris sleds will work, maybe even some of the newer ones...not sure. 4" carbides would be fine for an unstudded track.

#4 ·
SLP Ultra Lites

I use SLP Ultra Lites on my old Indy's. They are increasing hard to find.

Any of the polaris Plastic skis from around 2000 will fit. The colored skis were recalled because of cracking. The black ones were good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.