Z1 Turbo model years - Page 3 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Turbo 4 Stroke This is the section for all the Turbo 4 Stroke talk This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Sponsored by: Evolution Powersports

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #21 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 09 Z1 Turbo LXR
Previous Sled(s): 07 F8 LXR, 01 ZR800, 99 ZR700, 89 EXT, 81 Jag, 74 Elt 340
Favorite Riding Area: Quebec, Northern Ontario
12-13 Mileage: 2100
11-12 Mileage: 1680
10-11 Mileage: 2320
Riding Since: 1982

I have an 09Z1TurboLXR, love the sled, it has been great (4000miles), love the heated seat too. The track on the other hand, single ply cobra is a slow track (slows down the sled). Top speed 108mph on my sled with everything stock except D&D stage 1 clutch kit and 204 woody grandmaster's. Try to buy one with a ripsaw instead, but the 09's are dirt cheap right now, seeing brand new sleds for $9k in Ontario, not sure where you live
Z1Turbo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2011 Z1 Turbo SnoPro LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1Turbo09 View Post
I have an 09Z1TurboLXR, love the sled, it has been great (4000miles), love the heated seat too. The track on the other hand, single ply cobra is a slow track (slows down the sled). Top speed 108mph on my sled with everything stock except D&D stage 1 clutch kit and 204 woody grandmaster's. Try to buy one with a ripsaw instead, but the 09's are dirt cheap right now, seeing brand new sleds for $9k in Ontario, not sure where you live

ummmmm got a link??
NIL8GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 xf 9000 limited
Previous Sled(s): 1980 srx
Favorite Riding Area: Munising Mi
12-13 Mileage: 1100
11-12 Mileage: 700
10-11 Mileage: 1000
Riding Since: 7

I have a 2010 z1 turbo lxr and its been flawless. First off the lxrs ride is smooth but can handle the rough stuff as well. The handling is great as well. I run snowtracker agressive and the steering is precise and zero darting. These are a must have! I put on 290 miles on the last ride of the season and conditions were groomed rr grade and tight twisties and at the end of day was ready for more. Now I was riding with a 1200 skidoo and a 800 etec and rode them both and the z1 turbo lxr rode so much smoother. The only place the 1200 outshined it was when trail got really tight and rough. Now if I did lots of off trail riding this would not be the sled for me cuz the front weight just sinks in the snow. The heated seat on this sled is a must! Yes its not needed but sure is nice on a cold day. So if you are a groomed trail rider who likes comfort 15miles per gallon excellent handling and wicked fast topend then this sled is for you!
uprider800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Lot of people running the SnowTrackers on the Tz1 and Z1's. Tempted to try them out and put them on the old T660t that we will keep too.
Thanks to all you guys for model year feedback and knowledge.

Mark
eastmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:35 AM   #25 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uprider800 View Post
I have a 2010 z1 turbo lxr and its been flawless. First off the lxrs ride is smooth but can handle the rough stuff as well. The handling is great as well. I run snowtracker agressive and the steering is precise and zero darting. These are a must have! I put on 290 miles on the last ride of the season and conditions were groomed rr grade and tight twisties and at the end of day was ready for more. Now I was riding with a 1200 skidoo and a 800 etec and rode them both and the z1 turbo lxr rode so much smoother. The only place the 1200 outshined it was when trail got really tight and rough. Now if I did lots of off trail riding this would not be the sled for me cuz the front weight just sinks in the snow. The heated seat on this sled is a must! Yes its not needed but sure is nice on a cold day. So if you are a groomed trail rider who likes comfort 15miles per gallon excellent handling and wicked fast topend then this sled is for you!
Old thread I know, but you just described my riding and I will be on a '10 Turbo Sno Pro next season. We usually do 200 to 300 mile days and gas can get costly at that point on a triple 2 stroke. Pretty well made my mind up this season that I'd be going 4 stroke, just couldn't decide which model. Some of the issues with the pro cross chassis made me lean to the Z1 with it's great reputation.

Great to hear the great experiences! I can't wait to join the 4 stroke turbo, better rider position, club! Should be picking it up next week.

tallcool 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): z1 turbo, zr900
Previous Sled(s): all cats
Favorite Riding Area: Northern MN

like was said, they made them from 09-11, and maybe up to year 14 on the 2 up tourings??
the 09's had the ccu while the 10-11 eliminated that. not really a problem as all 07-09 sleds had the ccu, i've heard they can occassionally go bad though.

also on the 09's, they came with poor clutch offset. the specs were even wrong. they corrected this for 10+ but to achieve the right offset you have to machine down the secondary because you couldn't remove enough shims to get there. not a big deal, but something you might want to do especially if you ride it harder or boost it up.

on the 10-11's, the area behind the seat was open, there was no built in storage. this can be nice because the 09 storage is not huge, and then you can get the big tunnel bag and have ALOT of storage in those things.

i wouldn't worry about what year, i would find the best condition one, or one you like the best.

i have an 09 lxr in the limited edition. i absolutely love the sled. on those big mile days, i stay fresh all day and even get more energy the longer you ride and into the night, while other guys are wiped out and complaining, wanting to stop, i am getting faster and more aggressive! get the tall windshield, it is well worth it, that way you can really ride in total comfort and stay warm on the coldest of days.

i really think it is one of the best sleds cat has ever put out. it fits a certain niche very very well. way more comfortable than the new chassis.

here is mine. clicked over 8k miles this year, problem free.

Last edited by mnstang; 03-26-2014 at 02:30 PM.
mnstang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

The one I'm getting is a '10 Sno Pro with 2000 miles, all stock. I don't plan on modding it at all, as long as it runs well. 99.9% of my riding is smooth trails during the week. I don't need a "racer", but it does have to satisfy my need for speed on those long open areas.

The hardest part may be letting go of my Thundercats. From what I've read though, after riding the Z1 I wouldn't want to ride that chassis anymore. I will miss the sound of the 1000 triple, especially the '98. The increase fuel range and ergonomics should be a good trade off though!

Old 03-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): z1 turbo, zr900
Previous Sled(s): all cats
Favorite Riding Area: Northern MN

i had a 98 tcat. you won't miss it.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnstang View Post
i had a 98 tcat. you won't miss it.
Good to hear. For the record, mine isn't a stock '98. I widened the front and stretched it to 136" to become an awesome trail sled. It handles unbelievably....just looking for better fuel range and to get my hips above my knees...I'm 6'4".

Mint 1998 Thundercat 136" Stock, low miles For Sale - Sledswap.com

Old 03-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 F1100 Turbo Sno Pro Limited
Previous Sled(s): 10 Z1 Turbo; 06 F5; 02 4 Stroke
Favorite Riding Area: Northern MI
13-14 Mileage: 1253
12-13 Mileage: 1020
11-12 Mileage: 950
10-11 Mileage: 1050
Riding Since: 1990

The Twin Spar chassis sleds w/turbo are awesome. Handling like a ZR but still good in bumps. I actually like riding my 10 Z1 Turbo better than my 13 ProCross on smooth trails. When it gets really bumpy the ProCross shines.
Advertisement