Overheat - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Turbo 4 Stroke This is the section for all the Turbo 4 Stroke talk This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Sponsored by: Evolution Powersports

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2017, 01:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 XF1100T
Default Overheat

I got back from a sledding trip the other day and I fired up my 2012 XF 1100 turbo to let it warm up before I took it off my truck. I got distracted and forgot that the sled was running, when I got out to the truck the sled was shut off. I believe it overheated and shut off as there was a small amount of coolant under the sled. I got the sled off the truck and drove it around to cool it off.

It has a TD flashed ECU.

Does anyone know what temp parameters TD programmed into their tunes? And does it shut off at a predetermined temp? If so, could any engine damage occur at the temp?

It starts and runs fine, just not sure if any damage occurred.

Thanks
bisonboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2017, 01:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I think TD is safer. Stock will flash around 235 go steady at 245 and shut off a little after that and puke out a little. Need to top it off. No damage, any time even at normal temps after shut down a few minutes will read 225 or so around the sensor until it gets some flow which is instant once the motor is running. Once up to running temp 155-170 letting the engine idle every 6 mississippi count temp goes up 1 degree. Let mine go to counting to 190 takes a lot longer to back down to normal than a 225 restart. I let mine idle once while gassing up went flashing thats one reason why I got a gauge
Old 02-17-2017, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

13-14 Mileage: 8000

your fine cat has a 10-15 min shut down if it see no throttle movement . ps I still want the part you will see $$ today lol .
Bob hog is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob hog View Post
your fine cat has a 10-15 min shut down if it see no throttle movement . ps I still want the part you will see $$ today lol .
It definitely got hot because there was coolant on the ground.
Is there a predetermined temp that it will shut off the engine at?
I got the parts put aside for you, thanks
Old 02-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

13-14 Mileage: 8000

yes 220 is wear they shut down still wont be a issue
Bob hog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

My sled goes into limp mode at 214. They do take quite a heat soak when they are shut down.
Upstater57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob hog View Post
yes 220 is wear they shut down still wont be a issue
Its right in the manual where they shut down. If it was 220 it would shut down everytime you tried to start it when its up to temp.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720 View Post
Its right in the manual where they shut down. If it was 220 it would shut down everytime you tried to start it when its up to temp.

I did some research and what I found is in bold below. It doesn't say anything about it shutting down if the temp rises to a certain temperature. Maybe the shutdown is in the Turbo Dynamics programming? Maybe Ben can chime in on the safety in the programming

I also did a leak down test yesterday, at 100psi one cylinder had a 2psi drop (98psi on gauge) and the other has a 4psi drop (94psi on gauge). So everything should be good there. I think I'm worrying about nothing, but just want to make sure its not hurt.

NOTE: If the coolant temp rises above 105°C (221° F) (4-Stroke) the temp light on the gauge will start to flash and the engine will go into a fuel cut (surging) mode to alert the rider of overheating. If the temp continues to rise and exceeds 110°C (230° F) the temp light will be on continuously. The fuel cut will not protect the engine from overheating if the operator continues to ride the snowmobile.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement