Hardcore Sledder banner

Sent my 2016 Team primary in for balancing

8K views 43 replies 17 participants last post by  markowinnipeg 
#1 ·
I sent in my Team primary for a balance after shimming. I'll be curious to see how far out it was. Pics will of course be uploaded when I get it back.

Does anyone know where to get replacement buttons for it? I would like to make it fresh before the season starts. The rollers IMO too were in tough shape for only 1500 miles on the clutch. If I can I would like to rebuild it but I cannot seem to source the parts.

#4 ·
I'm curious to see how yours turns out. I sent a brand new one into smitty, never even on a sled yet, and it was messed up. Clearances and balance was really good. The back sheave was pressed on crooked and was out .025"+. I watched the video and it wobbled worse than drunken sailor. Would of blew belts likes crazy if I haven't sent it to know. I guess he had one other one that was out to but not as bad. He's only done a handful or two so that's not a good %. Clutch was a warranty replacement already after the first 1500 miles, so I'll be on my 3rd one so far. 9300 miles on my cat clutch without it being rebuilt at all on a boosted turbo. Just shimmed and balanced by smitty.

#11 ·
D Garland is in a league of their own they even balance for the Canadian space program.

It might be too costly to ship the clutch back and fourth though? I paid $65 Canadian to have mine done.

All 3 parts split before and balanced individually so it can be shimmed however I wish and all 3 will remain in balance. Fixed, spider, moveable sheave all independently balanced.

#23 ·
you will need the following.

A very sturdy work bench
A very good vice
A good torch
Hold down tool
Special socket for the spider nut
The big spanner wrench for the spider

You can get them from any cat dealer. i think all of them run about 300 bucks. Call the place and see if they will take it apart and put it back together for you. If you have never taken one apart have some with you that has. They can be bear to get apart and make sure you make alignment marks when you take it part for re assembly.

this is what you need.

http://www.speedwerxstore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1717

#38 · (Edited)
Yeah he takes them apart. he usually chargers about 225 however when I picked mine up he said he was going to raise the pricing on the cat clutches as the last few he has done have been a bear to take apart. Give him a call to confirm, very nice shop to deal with. He also dose not just balance the clutch. He is blue printing it. He cuts the sheaves to spec, corrects the spider shimming to the weights, soda blasts the clutch clean, balances each piece by its self, re assembles the clutch and balances one more time as a complete assembly. If your clutch is not in good working order (as in good bushings, rollers, ect) he wont work on it and will tell you to buy a new one. I think he gets like 75 bucks for a secondary if I remember right. My 4000 mile clutch came back looking better than a brand new one from cat. Get your clutch in fast because just after haydays he gets real busy and will start turning away work by late October. It took about month to get mine back from him. I dropped it off early November. He was very up front about turn around time and mine was done when he said it would be done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.