Hardcore Sledder banner

2001 MXZ 800 Recoil starter problems

13K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Pjw350 
#1 ·
Well My buddy bought this sled this year with 600 miles on it.
2001 MXZ 800

Well the first trip out he was pulling the engine over and his recoil wasnt retracting back into his motor. So we took it apart and greased the recoil assembly up and put it back together.

Well the 2nd trip out he was pulling it and the rope broke. So we found a yamaha dealer and they put it back together for $10 and we put it back on his sled

Well the 3rd trip out we left our sleds out this last weekend and it was around -15 out at night and in the mornin his 800 was so hard to pull over. SO he does some soft pulls and then tries to pull it again and his knot on the end comes apart- now we had that knot as tight as possible.

Is there an electric start kit for these models or is he just screwed. Is there a recoil update or something?

#4 ·
Originally posted by lacapra125@Jan 17 2005, 07:56 PM
yes there is a new recoil update for that model. very common problem that year . just have your buddy buy a new recoil ass. its 145.00 but you will never have trouble again.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=544101
[/quote]

who sells this new recoil assembly? The dealer? He asked the dealer if they had any updates or recalls on his sled 01 mxz800 and they said no

#5 ·
Originally posted by Pjw350@Jan 18 2005, 08:00 PM
who sells this new recoil assembly? The dealer? He asked the dealer if they had any updates or recalls on his sled   01 mxz800 and they said no
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=547111
[/quote]

Yes you can get one from the dealer.

There were 2 updates for the 01 800's.

#1 was a clutch spring

#2 was a piston update.

3 years ago when the 02's were new,According to Bombardier only the 02 800's were having problems with the recoils. There was an updated part, but only the 02's were covered even though the 01&02 had the same part # recoil from the factory. :frech32: I was on my 2nd one when it took a shit on me while I was up in the U.P. 150 miles from where I was staying at. Luckly for me, when it did fail, I was less than 50 miles from the nearest S.D. dealer. They had the new part, but when I spoke to a rep from B.R.P. they said my sled wasn't covered under the update and my warranty ran out 2 weeks prior. It cost me $126 for a new one, but it hasn't given me any trouble since(knock on wood). When I got back home the following Monday, I called B.R.P. and tried to explain my situation to someone higher up. They still wouldn't give me full reimbersement, but they did send me a $75 voucher for my troubles. Better than nothing I guess. :dunno:

#6 ·
Dam whats up with all these recalls.

He called his local dealer up and they sell a electric start kit for $530

When we were there she punched in his sleds vin # and she said there was no recalls on that model

Whats with the piston and clutch recalls?

#9 ·
when we ran the vin though the dealer the last time they said there was no recalls done to it and there was no outstanding recalls

looks like he needs to find a new dealer

why was there a recall on the pistons what is wrong with them?

also whats wrong with the clutch

#13 ·
Originally posted by Pjw350@Jan 19 2005, 08:35 PM
so it sounds like they did a recall on the pistons because of the design. how long do they last- i wonder if my buddies 800 still has stock pistons on it
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=550288
[/quote]

Actually the piston problem wasn't a design flaw. The problem was that Rotax was getting pistons from 2 different suppliers that were being made in different sizes and had different tolerances. Some 800's were getting put together with different size pistons. Weather it was 1 to big & 1 to small. 1 to small and 1 just right, And so on and so on, You get the picture. Some wern't getting bad pistons at all. Anyway, B.R.P. tracked down the problem and did a recall and ALL MXZ and Summitt 800's. Some sleds didn't have to get the pistons replaced, because they caught the problem before some got out the door.

Along with the piston being replaced, the did some mods to the cooling system, changed the engine timing, jetting, and switched to a BR9ECS plug and put in a new break-in-chip.

When I took my sled in to the dealer for the update it had 1,247 miles on it. That was back in Nov of 01. And that was the last and only time I've had to have my sled serviced. As of right now I have 6,579 and she's still going strong. :div20:

#14 ·
Originally posted by MXZ800DUDE@Jan 20 2005, 10:00 AM
Actually the piston problem wasn't a design flaw. The problem was that Rotax was getting pistons from 2 different suppliers that were being made in different sizes and had different tolerances. Some 800's were getting put together with different size pistons. Weather it was 1 to big & 1 to small. 1 to small and 1 just right, And so on and so on, You get the picture. Some wern't getting bad pistons at all. Anyway, B.R.P. tracked down the problem and did a recall and ALL MXZ and Summitt 800's.  Some sleds didn't have to get the pistons replaced, because they caught the problem before some got out the door.

Along with the piston being replaced, the did some mods to the cooling system, changed the engine timing, jetting, and switched to a BR9ECS plug and put in a new break-in-chip.
When I took my sled in to the dealer for the update it had 1,247 miles on it. That was back in Nov of 01. And that was the last and only time I've had to have my sled serviced.    As of right now I have 6,579 and she's still going strong. :div20:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=551604
[/quote]

wow thanks alot alot of great info here!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.