2012 sno pro 500 keeps shutting off - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Sno Pro Race Chassis 2012+ This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4
Current Sled(s): SP 500
Favorite Riding Area: Northern VT
13-14 Mileage: 50
Default 2012 sno pro 500 keeps shutting off

Just bought a used 2012 SP 500 with 1000 miles on it. Thing keeps stalling out when I ride it. Sometimes it bogs down then dies other times it just shuts down like I hit the kill switch. Then it will not start back up. I usually either have to let it set for a time period, 30 mins to 3 hours, or sometimes it will start back up after I disconnect the two wire harnesses from the ECU box. It is very random. Sometimes it will run for an hour and other times it will run for 10 mins before it stalls. At times I get no spark from the spark plugs. I have disconnected the kill switch and the thing will start back up but eventually it stalls again. This happens also when I disconnect the tether switch. Kind of at a loss right now. Not very mechanical so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
makjak29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 114
Current Sled(s): 2013 sno pro 600
Previous Sled(s): 2010 sno pro 500, 2005 f5, 2004 mountain cat 900 151, zr 600
12-13 Mileage: 300
Age: 16
Riding Since: 3
Default

you'll get more info if you go to the right threads, this is the 2012+ son pro 600, the 500 is completely different
Quote:
Originally Posted by makjak29 View Post
Just bought a used 2012 SP 500 with 1000 miles on it. Thing keeps stalling out when I ride it. Sometimes it bogs down then dies other times it just shuts down like I hit the kill switch. Then it will not start back up. I usually either have to let it set for a time period, 30 mins to 3 hours, or sometimes it will start back up after I disconnect the two wire harnesses from the ECU box. It is very random. Sometimes it will run for an hour and other times it will run for 10 mins before it stalls. At times I get no spark from the spark plugs. I have disconnected the kill switch and the thing will start back up but eventually it stalls again. This happens also when I disconnect the tether switch. Kind of at a loss right now. Not very mechanical so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
21sledrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
StHilaireCycle&Sled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,771
Current Sled(s): 2013 Sno Pro 600 XC
Previous Sled(s): Fusions, IQ440's, Pro X, sno pro's
Location: Rochester, NH
Favorite Riding Area: Northern ME
Default

Sounds like an ECU issue. Is there a trouble code flashing on the error code light underneath the ECU?
__________________
ST.HILAIRE MOTORSPORTS
Powersports Accessories, Sales, and Service
MOTORCYCLE::ATV::SNOWMOBILE
(603)479-0904
210 Gonic Rd, Rochester NH 03839
StHilaireCycle&Sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Advanced Member
 
novemberdelta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 89
Current Sled(s): 2012 Sno Pro 500
Previous Sled(s): F7
Location: Northern Maine
Favorite Riding Area: The county
Riding Since: 1995
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21sledrider View Post
you'll get more info if you go to the right threads, this is the 2012+ son pro 600, the 500 is completely different
Isn't this section for the 2012+ sno pro's? It doesn't say it's just for the 600.
novemberdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 13,493
Current Sled(s): r and a hacked togeather Snopro
Previous Sled(s): Xf700, F7sp, F5, ZLs,Zrs, Ext, Jags, el tigre
Location: Minnesota
Favorite Riding Area: Back home In the Yoop
10-11 Mileage: 2000
Age: 29
Riding Since: 1988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberdelta View Post
Isn't this section for the 2012+ sno pro's? It doesn't say it's just for the 600.

2012+ sno pro is a different sled from the 500 (pro cross type chassis). The 500 is a 2008-2011 sno pro chassis sled.
Greg B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Advanced Member
 
novemberdelta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 89
Current Sled(s): 2012 Sno Pro 500
Previous Sled(s): F7
Location: Northern Maine
Favorite Riding Area: The county
Riding Since: 1995
Default

They should probably label the forum a little better then. I have a 2012 sno pro 500, so I just assumed it would fall under the 2012+ sno pro forum. Obviously I'm not the only one. I've seen quite a few threads on the 500's here.
novemberdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
taperk600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,418
Current Sled(s): 14 600-RR, 10 SnoPro500, 07 F6LXR (wife's)
Previous Sled(s): too many Cats.......way too many ...
Location: Lake George, NY
Favorite Riding Area: VT,Tug Hill, Moosehead/Rangley
13-14 Mileage: 1025 ++
12-13 Mileage: 1800
11-12 Mileage: ice skated
10-11 Mileage: 1440
Age: 46
Riding Since: 1975
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberdelta View Post
They should probably label the forum a little better then. I have a 2012 sno pro 500, so I just assumed it would fall under the 2012+ sno pro forum. Obviously I'm not the only one. I've seen quite a few threads on the 500's here.
Agree.... confusing to a point. Doing something as simple as this:

2012+ SnoPro 600 race chassis

And

2008-11 SnoPro 600 / 2010+ SnoPro 500 race chassis

would make it a bit less confusing...... but who are we to make that determination.
__________________
IT FACTOR
Options suck.....at least having to choose which ones to waste money on...........

1999 Chaparral Sunesta 233 LE
Scuba year 'round
Australia and South Pacific Islands

taperk600 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
fortune46x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,470
Current Sled(s): 2014 zr6000r 2014 xf7000
Previous Sled(s): 12 F800,Sp500 , F7
Location: NE IOWA
Favorite Riding Area: Local trail systems/Drifts
10-11 Mileage: 1000+
Age: 29
Riding Since: 1987
Default

Pm'd the mod.

on topic - it sounds like you have a bad stator or a ecu problem . kind of like the old zr600s had , mine would cut out when it got hot then die , you'd shut it off let it sit for 30 min itd pop off run like a scolded dog then die when it got hot again. If you're not very mechanically inclined I would take it back to the dealer.
fortune46x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4
Current Sled(s): SP 500
Favorite Riding Area: Northern VT
13-14 Mileage: 50
Default

Thanks for all the input. Sorry about the confusion with posting in the wrong forum. As for the dealer, I have talked with them and they say they really are not sure what the problem could be so I figured there may have been someone out there that encountered the same issue before I brought it to the dealer. Currently I am waiting for the extended warranty to be transferred to my name before going to the dealer but would like to ride if someone else had any ideas. Once again thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated
makjak29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
fortune46x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,470
Current Sled(s): 2014 zr6000r 2014 xf7000
Previous Sled(s): 12 F800,Sp500 , F7
Location: NE IOWA
Favorite Riding Area: Local trail systems/Drifts
10-11 Mileage: 1000+
Age: 29
Riding Since: 1987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by makjak29 View Post
Thanks for all the input. Sorry about the confusion with posting in the wrong forum. As for the dealer, I have talked with them and they say they really are not sure what the problem could be so I figured there may have been someone out there that encountered the same issue before I brought it to the dealer. Currently I am waiting for the extended warranty to be transferred to my name before going to the dealer but would like to ride if someone else had any ideas. Once again thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated
Pm Krom , he's a wiz at electrical issues.


Sent from Snowmobile.com Free App
fortune46x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0