Hardcore Sledder banner

RMK vs PRO for Northeast Riding

9K views 62 replies 17 participants last post by  NHsledin 
#1 ·
So im on the fence. I want a 155 for the fast approaching season and I can't decide which one. Done a bunch of reading and sing but I thought id get some thoughts here too. So the big differences appear to be shocks and handlebars. RMK has extra heat exchanger which would be awesome for the thin start to the New England riding season and a more robust front end without the carbon fiber. PRO weighs 18 lbs less and has quick drive which is great technology and lighter is always better. Little worried about the cooling and lack of boggie wheels on the PRO in low snow conditions. As far as price goes that's whats making me struggle. Can get a new leftover 14 RMK for $8,999 or a 14 PRO for $10,999. The $2k difference is pretty significant. Could get some really high end shocks for that difference. Not sure about the old school controls and bars on the RMK. I like the Protapers and clean bars on my SBA. Thoughts? Anyone riding a RMK how long did the stock shocks last before they were throw aways? Did you change bars and controls?

Sent from Snowmobile.com Free App

#4 ·
Not really looking to stretch the SBA. It is a awesome sled the way it is. A little shock work would be nice but otherwise I love it. My girl will ride that and it will be my backup. I rode a couple PRO's offtrail late last season and was really impressed with their capabilities that's why im leaning towards a 155. Plus it would be cool to have both in the garage!

#3 ·
So im on the fence. I want a 155 for the fast approaching season and I can't decide which one. Done a bunch of reading and sing but I thought id get some thoughts here too. So the big differences appear to be shocks and handlebars. RMK has extra heat exchanger which would be awesome for the thin start to the New England riding season and a more robust front end without the carbon fiber. PRO weighs 18 lbs less and has quick drive which is great technology and lighter is always better. Little worried about the cooling and lack of boggie wheels on the PRO in low snow conditions. As far as price goes that's whats making me struggle. Can get a new leftover 14 RMK for $8,999 or a 14 PRO for $10,999. The $2k difference is pretty significant. Could get some really high end shocks for that difference. Not sure about the old school controls and bars on the RMK. I like the Protapers and clean bars on my SBA. Thoughts? Anyone riding a RMK how long did the stock shocks last before they were throw aways? Did you change bars and controls?

this is the issue I see in N.H. you have to ride trails to get to off trail. the rmk's are not very good trail sleds. the pro being worse. no front cooler, weak ass rear suspension, this is a true deep snow mountain sled period. the std. rmk will be slightly better then the pro here in N.H. a sba is all the sled you need. its more about rider then it is about the sled. I know guys that would make guys on rmk's look stupid riding a 121 sled. seen it.

#6 · (Edited)
I love the SBA northstarrick and im keeping that one. I agree the rider makes a huge difference. I just found the PRO easier to ride off trail when I tried it last year.

you are absolutely right. the pro is by far easier to ride off trail. just be a where of the on trail short comings. it's not like its horrible but that's not it's strong point. I work on and ride with guys that have these. have a bunch of mods on some. rk-tek drop-in kits, stage 3 slp kits etc.

#7 ·
We ride with 10 Pro RMK's. Fun enough on the trails, insane in the woods and NEVER any heat issues. Put set of Flex scratchers down in December, replace then mid Feb if needed. Anyone buying the RMK for the heat exchanger is making a mistake. Cost savings would be the ONLY reason. The RMK bars are tough to look at but will get the job done. I've seen many people buy the RMK's and add accessories. That cost savings quickly goes away. Also, the resale down the road on the PRO is going to be much higher. Just my opinion. You'll love either sled and hope you make one of the purchases!

#9 ·
We ride with 10 Pro RMK's. Fun enough on the trails, insane in the woods and NEVER any heat issues. Put set of Flex scratchers down in December, replace then mid Feb if needed. Anyone buying the RMK for the heat exchanger is making a mistake. Cost savings would be the ONLY reason. The RMK bars are tough to look at but will get the job done. I've seen many people buy the RMK's and add accessories. That cost savings quickly goes away. Also, the resale down the road on the PRO is going to be much higher. Just my opinion. You'll love either sled and hope you make one of the purchases!
Seriously?:dunno: We have heat issues with SBA's, shortys, and everything else running around Western Maine. Are we doing it wrong:dunno:

#10 ·
I was doing the same debate as you last year. I went with a RMK standard for two reasons- the extra cooler is a huge benefit with all the trail riding we have to do, and I took the savings and put on a full set of Raptors. The result is a sled that has better cooling with a suspension that is flat out amazing.

#11 · (Edited)
Paaso, Hell no I'm not qualified to say you're doing anything wrong! HA! But I've got 3 years on my 155's riding everywhere from Pittsburg down to Bear Brook Park near HK. My wife and I rode all over NH this year in hard pack down, powder and everything in between into April. I ride with 8 other PRO's and all we use is Flex scratchers or the factory pins you can't back up with. 127* all day all conditions (except glare ice!). The Flex scratchers are good for about 500 miles and NEVER fold them up. Once they are warped they are gone. I've tried spinning them but don't work nearly as well so I toss em and replace for $50-$60.

Are you really having heat issues with ALL your sleds?? That's not right is it?

#12 ·
The Pro/RMK will outperform the SBA in the deep every time. No question. Been there, done that. The SBA is better on trails but the 155s are still pretty good.

Buy the RMK, change the bars and shocks and run er. You'll be fine...unless you like to do wheelies.

#13 ·
Rode with a 2014 RMK assault last year under hard snow conditions and he had no problem keeping up or leading. He ran the same temp as the other switchback assaults in our group and the switch back rushes. He just ran the duraflex scratchers. He made a bunch of us switch to the 155's for this winter. Off trail no comparison the 155 is an animal compared to the 144.

#16 ·
If you can swing it... Go for the PRO. You'll have no regrets and I can get over 10 PRO owners to tell you there are NO HEAT ISSUES on reasonable trails in 35 Deg Temps and under. The PRO out of the box is an animal! Let's face it, anyone buying a 155 is doing so to maximize their off trail experience. You're going to need so much other stuff when you buy this sled...accessory items. The accessories available for the PRO are great. Seat Bags, Goggle Defrost... Some work on both sleds some don't. Lots to consider. So if cost is the only reason... Factor everything and make a true decision. You'll love both but I'll bet you a few coctails in Pittsburg over 2 years that money savings will be GONE. Best of luck and congrats when you buy!

#22 ·
I went and looked at a leftover RMK. Great sled especially for $9k but I know it just isn't for me. I really disliked the feel of the bars and I hated the look of the old control housing. Plus I know im gonna wear those shocks off quick and be looking at $1,500 - 2,000 for nice shocks. So im on the hunt for a PRO! If anyone knows of any deals out there send em my way. Thanks for all the input!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.