Temp gauge? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

ProCross (2012 - ) F+ XF 800/1100/ This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
yellowz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 189
Current Sled(s): 2014 zr 9000
Previous Sled(s): 2012 f1100 turbo
Location: Ontario
Favorite Riding Area: where the snow is
12-13 Mileage: 3500
11-12 Mileage: 2500+
10-11 Mileage: 2200
Age: 43
Riding Since: 1982
Default Temp gauge?

Has anyone installed a temp gauge and where did you install the sensor? I have my Koso X2 installed and it has a temp gauge I bought an inline adapter. Just wondered if anyone else has installed one of these and where you put it in the coolant line or maybe there is a fitting in the motor to put the sensor. Forgot to add F1100 Turbo

Last edited by yellowz; 02-07-2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Forgot F1100 Turbo
yellowz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
izzni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 687
Current Sled(s): 2012 M1100T LE
Previous Sled(s): 2002 800 RMK, 2005 600 RMK, 600 Classic, Indy 440
Location: Vadnais Heights
Favorite Riding Area: Snowy Mountain Range
12-13 Mileage: 700
11-12 Mileage: 1600
10-11 Mileage: 1500
Age: 30
Riding Since: 14
Default

Engine Temp Sensor and Gauge Install
izzni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 89
Current Sled(s): 2009 Yamaha Nytro XTX
Previous Sled(s): 2009 MXZ X800 2004 MXZ 600, 2000 MXZ 500
Location: Penobscot County
Favorite Riding Area: Medway Maine
Riding Since: 1995
Exclamation Temp gauge

You already have a temp gauge for your coolant already installed on all premium gauges Yes all 2012 new chassis and all other A/C premium gauges installed of previous models. All you have to do is start your sled hold down on the two buttons that are stacked on top of one another. press down both at same time. hold for 10 seconds the bottom of the gauge will come up with a volt meter. press the down button to the 3rd selection it will give you a number 3 this setting gives you a current temp reading of the coolant. This is NOT IN YOU OWNERS MANUALS AND MOST DEALERS DON'T KNOW OF THIS FUNCTION. I work as a tech at a cat dealer I use this function alot because of some 2012 with coolant problems the coolant cap is prematurly blowing off too soon around 150 degrees F and by reaplacing your cap with a new 16lbs cap the coolant temp will go to around 190 before blowing off fixing the problem. Hope you guys can benifit from this.
__________________
Be like a Duck calm on the surface but Paddeling like the dickens underneath
Js650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
720
Super Advanced Member
 
720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js650 View Post
You already have a temp gauge for your coolant already installed on all premium gauges Yes all 2012 new chassis and all other A/C premium gauges installed of previous models. All you have to do is start your sled hold down on the two buttons that are stacked on top of one another. press down both at same time. hold for 10 seconds the bottom of the gauge will come up with a volt meter. press the down button to the 3rd selection it will give you a number 3 this setting gives you a current temp reading of the coolant. This is NOT IN YOU OWNERS MANUALS AND MOST DEALERS DON'T KNOW OF THIS FUNCTION. I work as a tech at a cat dealer I use this function alot because of some 2012 with coolant problems the coolant cap is prematurly blowing off too soon around 150 degrees F and by reaplacing your cap with a new 16lbs cap the coolant temp will go to around 190 before blowing off fixing the problem. Hope you guys can benifit from this.
I read something like that here before. He said he did it with the engine cold and the reading that came up was way above the current air temp outside. He thought maybe the display was in a code have you found that. Do you have the conversion chart if it is? What would be the chances since the water temp sensor is already there that you could tap into the wire at a connection and hook up a gauge thats on all the time.
__________________
If it aint broke keep changing stuff til it is
720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 89
Current Sled(s): 2009 Yamaha Nytro XTX
Previous Sled(s): 2009 MXZ X800 2004 MXZ 600, 2000 MXZ 500
Location: Penobscot County
Favorite Riding Area: Medway Maine
Riding Since: 1995
Default Temp gauge

I have run this test several times it does seem on some models that the temp gauge is about 5-10 degrees hotter than real temp but most of the time its pretty accurate. I have not found exactly how it works yet seeing as the water pump has no temp sensor. I have a slight inclination that it maybe using the knock sensor to give this reading but No one quote me on this please because I am unsure. So if we can find out what sensor is reading coolant temp you maybe able to tap into the harness and run a constant water temp sensor gauge on your sled. Problem is Arctic cat does not give you any information on this its not in my service manuals or owners manuals?
__________________
Be like a Duck calm on the surface but Paddeling like the dickens underneath
Js650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 91
Current Sled(s): xf 1100t
Previous Sled(s): Thundercat2000 Thundercat 2002 Jaguar 2007 z1t 2009 z1t 2010
Default

Drilled a hole in coolant tank 1 1/2 inch from bottom towards the exhaust and made treads for the sensor. Did it with the hood and exhaust on. Had to catch the coolant with some tape and a can
stannt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
yellowz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 189
Current Sled(s): 2014 zr 9000
Previous Sled(s): 2012 f1100 turbo
Location: Ontario
Favorite Riding Area: where the snow is
12-13 Mileage: 3500
11-12 Mileage: 2500+
10-11 Mileage: 2200
Age: 43
Riding Since: 1982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js650 View Post
I have run this test several times it does seem on some models that the temp gauge is about 5-10 degrees hotter than real temp but most of the time its pretty accurate. I have not found exactly how it works yet seeing as the water pump has no temp sensor. I have a slight inclination that it maybe using the knock sensor to give this reading but No one quote me on this please because I am unsure. So if we can find out what sensor is reading coolant temp you maybe able to tap into the harness and run a constant water temp sensor gauge on your sled. Problem is Arctic cat does not give you any information on this its not in my service manuals or owners manuals?
There is a sensor in the front of the motor just below the exhaust where the front coolant pipe runs out (thinking the water pump is there). I was thinking of tying into this line as it may be a more accuate reading of the engines temp. I know about the diagnostic mode on the gauge I have added a Koso X2 which also has a temp gauge built in and wanted to hook it up. This one I will be able to monitor without going into the diag mode of the premium guage.
yellowz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
izzni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 687
Current Sled(s): 2012 M1100T LE
Previous Sled(s): 2002 800 RMK, 2005 600 RMK, 600 Classic, Indy 440
Location: Vadnais Heights
Favorite Riding Area: Snowy Mountain Range
12-13 Mileage: 700
11-12 Mileage: 1600
10-11 Mileage: 1500
Age: 30
Riding Since: 14
Default

There are many reasons as to why the builtin one is inadequate:

-The 10 seonds you have to push both buttons down is a long time, and it is pretty difficult to get both buttons pushed at the same time.
-Once in diagnostic mode it doesn't come out. You no longer have a trip until you restart the machine.
-You can't setup a warning temperature to make rhings start flashing at.
-This display is tiny and not readable at speed really.
-The temps it gives you are not in degrees. The thermostat opens at 145F, not 167 as the diagnostic mode would lead you to believe.

You may or may not be able to tap into the existing water temp gauge. It might have a different output calibration, or different voltage range than the aftermarket gauge.
izzni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
yellowz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 189
Current Sled(s): 2014 zr 9000
Previous Sled(s): 2012 f1100 turbo
Location: Ontario
Favorite Riding Area: where the snow is
12-13 Mileage: 3500
11-12 Mileage: 2500+
10-11 Mileage: 2200
Age: 43
Riding Since: 1982
Default

Probably going to use the adapter and T into the front coolant line, just looks like a real pain to get to.
yellowz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
izzni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 687
Current Sled(s): 2012 M1100T LE
Previous Sled(s): 2002 800 RMK, 2005 600 RMK, 600 Classic, Indy 440
Location: Vadnais Heights
Favorite Riding Area: Snowy Mountain Range
12-13 Mileage: 700
11-12 Mileage: 1600
10-11 Mileage: 1500
Age: 30
Riding Since: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowz View Post
Probably going to use the adapter and T into the front coolant line, just looks like a real pain to get to.
Once you get the intercooler and muffler out of the way you can remove the hose at the water pump and oil cooler. You'll drain the coolant from the motor, but trying to splice the hose with it in place would be awful.
izzni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0