Hardcore Sledder banner

First Ride With Updates (Report)

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  greenflyer 
#1 · (Edited)
First ride today with some of the updates for my 2012 F800. Trails were in decent shape with a good mix of steady cruising and aggressive riding through the rough and twisty sections.

It was a great day with the only minor issue being that I saw the "low oil" light for the first time since I owned the sled which kind of surprised me and made me a little nervous, but I should have expected it. I only filled the reservoir up to the middle of the sight glass prior to heading out. Fuel mileage averaged out to just over 13 mpg and oil ratio calculated at 28:1. I know this is a little heavy but I'm OK with it. I had adjusted the oil pump last season by 4 turns and only got it down to 33:1. I decided to put it back to stock just for peace of mind. It really doesn't smoke all that much unless left to idle for more than a few minutes.

Anyway, here are a few observations of the updated components and some of the other things I did to the sled while it was apart for said updates.

Big Fin Driven Clutch - I never had any belt issues or excessive heat even with the stock secondary, but I've been using a Speedwerx setup pretty much from the beginning. With the Big Fin I seemed to have picked up about 100 rpm so I am now over-revving more than I was before. I was seeing 8300-8350 with the original secondary and 083 belt and now it's up to around 8450. Keep in mind I am running Speedwerx exhaust, etc. Should be running 8250-8300. I also broke in a new 084 belt for the first 50 or so miles of this ride and used it all day. Now I need to go back and run the 083 for comparison. I'll be adding weight to the primary either away, it appears. Even with breaking in a new clutch, belt, brake disc and pads - there was hardly any dust or soot around the clutch compartment. The couple times I checked I was able to hold my hand on both clutches no problem. Sorry I don't have any solid temperature data.

Exvolute Track Drive and Slide Rails - The biggest thing I noticed was that the sled rolls much easier now. Able to set the track nice and loose - also running the Dupont hyfax. The sled will actually roll down a slight grade on its own if you let it. Before it seemed like the brake was dragging. Huge improvement here. I can't make any ride quality comparisons with the original rails because I went ahead and had my skid shocks done up with Hygears' pro package while I had the skid apart. I can say that Hygear did an outstanding job with the calibration. I might make a few small clicker adjustments over the next couple rides but WOW, what a difference! The rear end of the sled now feels as good as any of the R-Motion sleds that I've ridden. If you look close at the first photo, you can see where the Hygear reservoirs are mounted inboard on the rails. Thats why the idlers are on the outside now. Using the '14 seat foam also, which feels just like the mountain seat I had on last year, except that it is narrower at the front which I like better. Now I just need to get the new Float 3's dialed in. Also need to say a big thanks to RACE Metalsmiths in Wilder, VT for the outstanding powder coating on the new rails.

12 gallon Tank - Not much to say here other than it sure is nice knowing I can easily get 120 miles on a tank. Oh, the new clutch guard fits perfectly with this tank - no trimming required.

Some of the other things I did for this year are C&A XTX skis (had Razors last 2 years) with 9" shapers. The added flotation is nice and they certainly are an aggressive ski, but they compliment the 1.7" track well. Running studs this year as well - 102 1.875" Stud Boys. Went with the next size taller bar riser (7" I think). I'm 6'1" and this seems just right. Fox Float 3 Evols. I put an o-ring on the outer shaft before I mounted them so I could keep an eye on total shock travel (another thread, lol). SLP's intake air temp relocation kit. Not sure if this is doing anything - I still get some funny fueling off-idle. Might be fuel mapping or possibly need to get the ECU re-flashed to get rid of it. The medium windshield looks better IMO than the stock low SnoPro Shield and keeps the wind off the chest a little better. I added the clutch side Frogzkin vent and thanks to HCS member arctic_cat_man1 for the batwing venting idea. I also drilled some holes in the rear of the new clutch guard to help with airflow. Replaced the stock brake rotor and pads with those from the 600 race sled. Also added some of the bracing and gussets on the tunnel.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
How those XTX skis do in tight corners? I am running the 1.7 and keep going back and forth as to which to get, the XT or the XTX. I would think the XTX would be just a tad less aggressive, which could be a good thing, but I want to eliminate push and we have tight trails here.

#11 ·
Yeah, I tried that last year. I turned the rod out a total of 4 turns (2+2) and it only went down to about 33:1. There is conflicting information out there about whether these oil pumps can be adjusted that way. Some people say they are progressive and some say they are 2 stage hi/low. The fact that 4 turns on my linkage resulted in such a small change leads me to believe that either (1) my oil pump is stuck on full open or (2) changing the length of the linkage only changes where the pump goes from hi to low. I hear that some people are turning theirs just 2 turns and going from 28-34:1 down to 45-50:1. I didn't want to keep turning it so far from stock 'cause it just didn't seem right, so I just put it back to stock. The oil usage doesn't bother me and it runs fine.

Oh, and I cleaned and lubed the moving parts of the pump and it moves freely, so I don't THINK that it's stuck open.

#9 ·
Greenflyer what does the hygear pro package entail in the rear skid. I did the linkage and reservoir and it definitely helped with stutters but I find it bottoms too easy on big stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.