Tempa flow install - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XCR This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I started installing a tempa flow on my 00 XCR 800 and I'm not sure where to place it in the air box as the 2 peice airbox makes it kinda tricky to install it as they say in the instructions. They want the main unit mounted as high in the airbox as it can be, and the inlet in the same compartment as the original carb vents and not in a high flow area. So to me it looks like the main unit should be mounted in the upper airbox and the vent in the lower part, but it would make it hard to install and to take the box out in the future.

Can I mount the main unit as high as I can in the lower half of the airbox?

Anyone have any suggestions or pics of how they did it?

Thanks
120xcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2009, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
I started installing a tempa flow on my 00 XCR 800 and I'm not sure where to place it in the air box as the 2 peice airbox makes it kinda tricky to install it as they say in the instructions. They want the main unit mounted as high in the airbox as it can be, and the inlet in the same compartment as the original carb vents and not in a high flow area. So to me it looks like the main unit should be mounted in the upper airbox and the vent in the lower part, but it would make it hard to install and to take the box out in the future.

Thanks[/b]

I am kind of interested in this topic.. I was thinking of putting 1 on my ultra spx. Heard that they work well on these sleds Did you buy yours right from Holtzman?

Three hole holdout!!
ck3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
I am kind of interested in this topic.. I was thinking of putting 1 on my ultra spx. Heard that they work well on these sleds Did you buy yours right from Holtzman?[/b]

I orded it in at my local polaris dealer.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 02 EXCR 00 and 02 XCR 800's
Previous Sled(s): Indy 600, JDX8, Rupp Nitro
Riding Since: 1970

Here are the pix of how mine was installed

Old 10-25-2009, 10:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks[/b]
How I did it with the ATACC was to make the upper and lower parts of the airbox one; i.e. join them. This was, when you take out the airbox, it comes out one piece. All you have to do is remove the air hose connections to the connection on the airbox. You want to follow the instructions. If the main unit is to be mounted in the upper box, that is where it goes. The vent into the lower part is tricky, as the have to figure out how to keep the nifty little filter from coming off with vibration, and keep the 3/4" distance to the end of the filter. I got around this by using a plastic fitting with the same inside diameter as the plastic vent hose, and putting the filter on that. I checked this with Holtzmann and was told it would be fine.

You want to know how I connected the upper and lower airbox? A small eyebolt at the back of the upper part in the floor, far enough back to the "eye" was clear of the lower box, and I then bent a piece of stiff welding rod precisely so it would be a very tight fit around the bottom of the box, with the end stuck into one of the drain holes. This way I could pull it off and the two halves would come apart. Below is a photo:
It shows the air inlet in the bottom half, and the wire holding the two halves together. The stupid Well-nuts were always oozing through the holes allowing the halves to come apart.

Note: this was on an ATACC install. From what you described the installation is quite similar.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Air_Inlet_Placement.jpg (107.1 KB, 7 views)

You can piddle with the puppies or run with the wolves....

Old firends: '97 Ultra SPX SE, '99 XCR 800
New friend: '00 XCR 800
Thekuskokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
How I did it with the ATACC was to make the upper and lower parts of the airbox one; i.e. join them. This was, when you take out the airbox, it comes out one piece. All you have to do is remove the air hose connections to the connection on the airbox. You want to follow the instructions. If the main unit is to be mounted in the upper box, that is where it goes. The vent into the lower part is tricky, as the have to figure out how to keep the nifty little filter from coming off with vibration, and keep the 3/4" distance to the end of the filter. I got around this by using a plastic fitting with the same inside diameter as the plastic vent hose, and putting the filter on that. I checked this with Holtzmann and was told it would be fine.

You want to know how I connected the upper and lower airbox? A small eyebolt at the back of the upper part in the floor, far enough back to the "eye" was clear of the lower box, and I then bent a piece of stiff welding rod precisely so it would be a very tight fit around the bottom of the box, with the end stuck into one of the drain holes. This way I could pull it off and the two halves would come apart. Below is a photo:
It shows the air inlet in the bottom half, and the wire holding the two halves together. The stupid Well-nuts were always oozing through the holes allowing the halves to come apart.

Note: this was on an ATACC install. From what you described the installation is quite similar.[/b]

Ya it sounds similar, Except I have no filter just a 1/2' plastic T for the inlet. It looks like it would be hard to work inside the upper airbox half as the holes are all small. I'll have to have a second look at mine.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Here are the pix of how mine was installed

[/b]

Thanks for the pics Roger, That looks like a much simpler install than trying to go through the upper half. Have you had any issus or has it worked AOK?
Old 10-26-2009, 07:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

worked ok till I removed it, and put it on the shelf.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
worked ok till I removed it, and put it on the shelf.[/b]
Why did you remove it?
Old 10-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

hmm not sure I liked it or dis-liked it, don't remember !!
maybe time to try it again..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement