Hardcore Sledder banner

Just bought a 2012 RUSH 800 Pro R--what to expect?

4K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  ProRMike 
#1 ·
Heard lots of good things about this chassis/motor...just committed to buying a few minutes ago..

Came off an XR1200 Doo, XP 800, F1000 Cat..been ice racing the last few years and haven't done much trail riding. This will be my first Polaris ever.

How do you guys like these sleds? Any must do mods/changes?

#3 ·
From what I have seen riding mine for 1700 miles.

Race sled it is not, Trail sled it's just about perfect. The Ski-doo 800etec is the closet thing out of all to compare to. The best way I can describe the difference is the Etec, you drive the sled, the pro-r you ride the sled.

Takes more rider input to run aggresive, once suspension is dialed in it will out handle the ski-doo. Take the time to play with the shock settings, it will pay off BIG!!

The 800 motor likes to be loaded, gear it down 1-2 teeth at least a 1.74-1.76 ratio and keep adding weight to the clutch till she can't pull it. Alot of guys like the 160-310 primary spring. I went to a 120-240 secondary spring and the sled seems to like it. Backshifts great and pulls a touch better down low.

I put a bikeman pipe and power commander on. Don't spend the $$ on a single pipe. The PC-5 will gain you about the same. Clutched good, geared right and good traction will put you in front of any Etec, F800 with out much problem in the short race. Top end 100mph plus they keep rolling and the Pro-R dies around 100-108 at best. Suspension robs a lot of MPH.

Seating position is like nothing else, more upright, higher position. I am 6'3 I put on a 2" riser and ergos are spot on perfect for me. I also own a 2010 Renegade X 1200. So I compared the 2 all winter. Hands down the Switchback Pro-R is better for fun factor. If you have perfectly groomed trails all the time and nothing to playfully jump, and just cruise around, the 1200 is better. There was a 1 or 2 days I took the rene X out juts cause. That is a fun sled as well, the polaris just does it a touch better.

I put the side fins and a wyde clyde shield, Wide protection is great, but the Mountain mid shield is great for days warmer then 15 degrees.

The group that I ride with has every brand of sleds, and hands down they all wanted to ride my sled for the day. gave me a chance to ride the new F1100 turbo, F800, etec 8 and 600. 2 different 1200 ski doos, and an old IQ. I already know I hate the yamahas, I owned them already.

In the end its chocolate and vanilla, which one you like.

#4 ·
From what I have seen riding mine for 1700 miles.

Race sled it is not, Trail sled it's just about perfect. The Ski-doo 800etec is the closet thing out of all to compare to. The best way I can describe the difference is the Etec, you drive the sled, the pro-r you ride the sled.

Takes more rider input to run aggresive, once suspension is dialed in it will out handle the ski-doo. Take the time to play with the shock settings, it will pay off BIG!!

The 800 motor likes to be loaded, gear it down 1-2 teeth at least a 1.74-1.76 ratio and keep adding weight to the clutch till she can't pull it. Alot of guys like the 160-310 primary spring. I went to a 120-240 secondary spring and the sled seems to like it. Backshifts great and pulls a touch better down low.

I put a bikeman pipe and power commander on. Don't spend the $$ on a single pipe. The PC-5 will gain you about the same. Clutched good, geared right and good traction will put you in front of any Etec, F800 with out much problem in the short race. Top end 100mph plus they keep rolling and the Pro-R dies around 100-108 at best. Suspension robs a lot of MPH.

Seating position is like nothing else, more upright, higher position. I am 6'3 I put on a 2" riser and ergos are spot on perfect for me. I also own a 2010 Renegade X 1200. So I compared the 2 all winter. Hands down the Switchback Pro-R is better for fun factor. If you have perfectly groomed trails all the time and nothing to playfully jump, and just cruise around, the 1200 is better. There was a 1 or 2 days I took the rene X out juts cause. That is a fun sled as well, the polaris just does it a touch better.

I put the side fins and a wyde clyde shield, Wide protection is great, but the Mountain mid shield is great for days warmer then 15 degrees.

The group that I ride with has every brand of sleds, and hands down they all wanted to ride my sled for the day. gave me a chance to ride the new F1100 turbo, F800, etec 8 and 600. 2 different 1200 ski doos, and an old IQ. I already know I hate the yamahas, I owned them already.

In the end its chocolate and vanilla, which one you like.
great post!!!:bc2:

#7 ·
Congrats..put my first 723 miles on mine a week and a half ago in the UP.. I have a pretty extensive motocross background and was expecting a lot put 1300 miles on a 2003 ProX 600 earlier this season so that's what I can compare it to. 0-95 awesome for stone stock.. set it up to what I've been reading
on here- major push in the corners on fresh groom to start. Changed rear preload to 215 lbs. I weigh 195 street clothes comp to 4 from soft, dropped fts (front track shock) preload to 1-1/8" spring to collar- bumped comp up to 7 clicks from soft. Stock settings on front shocks but added a click harder on comp..helped a ton in the corners..still need shapers to really make me happy but probably have to get more transfer but that will be easy.. 144 studs on the way. It took everything I threw at it and was a joy to ride fast. Just needs tweaking. BTW-I lean as much as possible but that's half the fun..that's why I bought a Rush! Enjoy!

#11 ·
I love my switch800r overall best all round sled i have owned your going to love it everything you ask of the sled it does .The big cobra in all snow conditions
rocks and 110 plus with a $70.00 gear change i bought mine in Febuary I have 900 miles smiles on mine finally a sled that does what its suppose to do out of the box

#12 ·
Well i just took the plunge too!! Doo guy for 15yrs and just bought a 2012 sb pro r orange madness!! Cant wait to ride it as i never even have demo'd one but have only heard great things! Coming off a 600 etec which was a great machine but i wanted something to play off trail with a bit and something that pulled a little harder corner to corner! :))) long wait till snow though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.