2011 Rush 12 Volt wire & GPS/Phone Install - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Rush/Switchback (Pro-Ride Chassis) This is a brand-specific forum and a 100% NO BASH Zone. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 03:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

10-11 Mileage: 500
Riding Since: 1980
Arrow 2011 Rush 12 Volt wire & GPS/Phone Install With Pic's

Thought I would post a nice way of putting in 12 volt power (technically 5 volt) & mounting a GPS/phone in a fairly safe & trouble free location. I will soon find out anyway, after logging a few miles.

This was done on a 2011 Rush 800 Pro-R "Retro"

The tools I used to remove the hood are a T40 torx for the 2 screws that need to be removed by the handle bars/post, and a a flat edge screwdriver or a pliers to get a hold of the black plastic push pins it and pop/pull them out. Others may find a different tool to work better. There's only two black plastic pins to deal with. 1 on each side of the hood up towards the rider. Torx looks like this (since some may not know what it looks like it):

The mount I used was made by Arkon & is model GPS032.
Link here: GPSCheap.com - Arkon GPS032 Bicycle and Motorcycle Handle Bar Mount with Waterproof Case for GPS

I then modified the handlebar mount by cutting off a portion of the plastic that would wrap around the handlebar and then fabricating a piece of stainless steel with a rubber backer to extend the plastic mount a little bit higher. Here is a few pic's after I modified it:

The first pic is the adapter that you will need to connect to the factory plug that's tucked under the hood up by the gauge cluster. I bought mine at Fleet Farm (in the trailer light section) for $1.75, which is double sided so I actually got a 2 for 1 deal so to speak. I should add that Tousley Motorsports in White Bear Lake, Mn quoted me $30 for the Polaris connector. (Note: The left connector & right connector use opposite colored wires for each pin.) Here's a few pic's of the wiring items I used:

The second pic is of the Garmin Nuvi hardwire kit that I bought from Amazon. I wouldn't recommend it if you use the same GPS case I did because the case requires a 90* mini USB end and this one comes with a straight mini USB. I ended up chopping off & soldering the 90* end off the 12 volt charger that came with my Nuvi 265WT and swapping the mini USB connectors.(Note, when I chopped the end off the factory 12 volt and swapped it for the straight end, the straight end mini USB did not come with extra data wires in it for the FM traffic receiver/so I lost that). Also, I used liquid electrical tape around the seam of the 12 volt hardwire kit as to help prevent moisture from getting in there.

Link here:Hardwire Cable for Garmin Nuvi (Mini-USB connector) - Charger and Power Solutions

If ordering again I would get the Gilsson direct wire kit as it comes with a 90* end.
Link here: Direct Wire 12-30V DC Hardwire Pigtail Cable for Garmin Nuvi GPS 200 200W 250 250W 260 350 360 370 600 650 660 670 680 750 760 770, eTrex Color, StreetPilot C510 C530 C550 C580 Zumo 450 550, Mio C220 C230 C520 H610 C720T, Magellan 3200 3250 4250, Tom

Here is a few pic's of the 2 amp mini fuse:

Pic's of the hood flipped upside down showing location of factory connector:

A few pic's of the final outcome:

What isn't shown was that a person will need to take and (preferably) solder the 12 volt hardwire wire kit to the factory style connector that I bought at Menards. I went from red wire to red wire. Then I used the white wire from the Menards connector to the other Polaris wire (can't remember color off hand/check later). I also put wire loom over the 12 volt kit for added protection. I bought 2 & 3 amp mini fuses for around $2.89 a package(package of each) at Pep Boys since Fleet Farm didn't sell packages of just 2 or 3 amps.

With where the GPS/phone mount is located it completely misses the handlebars(I'll try and get a better pic up later for people to see it miss) and stays low enough that if the sled flipped, hopefully the handlebars would take the brunt of the weight, and not the GPS/phone mount. BTW- This is using the stock handlebar riser.

I am not sure if I will keep the hardwire setup the way it is, or change it later this Spring. Thinking I might rather have both, or just wire in a 12 volt receptacle and use a car charger to power either the GPS or my phone depending on what I need for the day or trip. This was kind of a fast install to get me setup for a 4 day saddlebag trip from Upsala to Grand Rapids that 4 other friends and I have setup to do on Friday morning......If there is any snow left after this heatwave we are getting.

Wish the pic's would have come out better. It almost looks smokey in my garage. I'm not sure if it was the florescent lighting, or just the settings that were set in my HTC Incredible. I might try and retake the pic's later this Spring.

Also, I bought everything off Amazon and had links to the products, but seem to be having issues with the links. For some reason I could only get 1 Amazon link to work at a time. If I added a new one, then the old link would not work. So I just linked to other websites that have the products, but I did not buy them from those places in case anyone was wondering. Maybe the forum has some kind of spamming software not allowing multiple links from same site?

Last edited by load97; 02-15-2011 at 06:21 AM.
load97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 11' 800 Rush Retro Pro-r LX
Previous Sled(s): 08' Shift 600 carb
12-13 Mileage: 890ish
11-12 Mileage: 980
10-11 Mileage: 991

Mounted my gps off the handle bars with ram mount, the hardwiring of the power looks like something I'll be doing very soon, thanks for the info.
nasty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I was gonna mount in the same place actually. Decided that in case I would flip the sled (accident etc..) I wanted it lower than the handlebars. Though, I haven't flipped a sled in 8-9 years, it probably wasn't much of a worry, but still decided to mount it lower.
Thanks, hope it helps.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '11 Assault Switchback
Previous Sled(s): too many to choose from

Last night I mounted Garmin 128 on my '11 Assauld SB, decided to mount it to the handlebar clamp so that it sits below the crossbar and don't obscure the MFD.
Today I'll look into the wiring.
Load97, whats the output of that underhood connector?

Pics will follow.
00 XCR800 - Pro-X rear skid w/lowered front arm, otherwise stock. My trail rocket
99 XC700SP - 12000 miles - needs work
97 XLT SKS 2up got it for free - 13000 miles and still runs good
ivar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I believe its full 12 volts. That's why you need to buy a wiring kit like I linked to above or make one with a resistor to bring it down to 5 volts for GPS units and other accessories.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Measured it, it was 14-15V at idle.
Wired it to a 1.3Ah battery, then to the GPS (no internal battery in the G128). Had to wire in a diode to avoid the battery feeding 12V to the sled with the ignition off.

Forgot to bring my camera, but will snap a couple pics the next time I have the hood off.
00 XCR800 - Pro-X rear skid w/lowered front arm, otherwise stock. My trail rocket
Old 03-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 11' 800 Rush Retro Pro-r LX
Previous Sled(s): 08' Shift 600 carb
12-13 Mileage: 890ish
11-12 Mileage: 980
10-11 Mileage: 991

I picked up a cigarette adaptor cheap for the garmin 5$. Soldered wires onto the center pin and the grounding pin of the adaptor, taped it up good. put spade connectors on the other side of the wires, hooked them in parallel to my cigarette adaptor next to my gauge panel. fished the usb connector out to the bars following the other cables. worked great and still have my 12v acc plug if needed for other things like the cell phone.
nasty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 4 Rushes, 1 SBA, 1 Dragon
Previous Sled(s): Several Polaris
Favorite Riding Area: Maine
13-14 Mileage: 1600
12-13 Mileage: 1650
11-12 Mileage: 950
10-11 Mileage: 850

ivar, which underhood connector are you referring to that supplies the 14v-15v DC? By chance did you happen to measure amperage? You also wouldn't happen to know if the headlights on Rush's are DC?

Reason I ask is I plan on Snow Checking this year, and after having HID's in my D8 I don't want to go back to regular halogens...I'd prefer to not have ES, but have only ever seen HID setups on Rush's with ES...

Thanks
dbutler212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I'm refering to the connctor in the headlight area with 1 male,1 female plug. Looks like stabilized dc to me. No idea what it'll supply.

Havent checked if headlights are DC. did not get the spec sheet / wire diagram with the sled, gotta nag the dealer a little tomorrow.
Would like HiD's myself. Would be interesting to see how the ES kit is mounted/wired.

my mount a 1/8" aluminum L-angle bracket mounted below the h/bar clamp:
Old 03-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 800 ProR SB, 2007 IQr 660HO
Favorite Riding Area: Closest place with snow
13-14 Mileage: 2135
12-13 Mileage: 2950
11-12 Mileage: Not enough
Riding Since: 2006

It is the SAE plug. Looks like what a battery tender for a motorcycle would connect to. Definitely DC as required by pretty much all fuel injection systems. Not sure on the amperage, or where it is fused which could give you an idea. Do HID's pull that much more than standard bulbs? Are there HID's that can take the vibration and trail whoops that a sled goes through?

I am interested myself in upgrading the headlights as having more light (on brights) is never a bad thing.

Here is a picture of the connector although its plugged in so its hard to see (looks like a 2 plug trailer connector):

In my case I spliced in a cigarette adapter that I had laying around and then taped a standard motorola charger in place (seemed easier than building a circuit to drop it to 5v)

I used a RAM atv mount with the 2" shaft and dual balls. Holds my Droid just fine and keeps it charged. Previously in my pocket in the cold with GPS active the battery would last less than two hours. This solves that
Deephaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement