Tunnel Protector Instructions - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Rush/Switchback (Pro-Ride Chassis) This is a brand-specific forum and a 100% NO BASH Zone. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 SB 800 Ann. Black
Previous Sled(s): 20+ Polaris, ...but have owned some of each
Favorite Riding Area: QUEBEC

I don't pick up my protectors until tomorrow night, but hear it is a BIG job to install. does someone have the instructions so that I can get all the pre-work done tonight and maybe get to ride tomorrow night?

Also, any tips/tricks to this install? My dealer just kept laughing at me telling me I was in for a job...
rob in ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't pick up my protectors until tomorrow night, but hear it is a BIG job to install. does someone have the instructions so that I can get all the pre-work done tonight and maybe get to ride tomorrow night?

Also, any tips/tricks to this install? My dealer just kept laughing at me telling me I was in for a job...[/b]
Dont have them but you can pull the seat & gas tank - need to remove hood to do this . You need to drill holes (marked in top of tunnel ) I unbolted rear & folded it up . If you have to stud yet , you'll pick up time by drilling track here .
noscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Cat Race Braaper
Favorite Riding Area: tug hill
12-13 Mileage: 1200
11-12 Mileage: 750
10-11 Mileage: 1600
Riding Since: 1987

Quote:
Dont have them but you can pull the seat & gas tank - need to remove hood to do this . You need to drill holes (marked in top of tunnel ) I unbolted rear & folded it up . If you have to stud yet , you'll pick up time by drilling track here .[/b]

instructions says a 20-30 min job. ready the instructions it doesnt seem all that bad. just takes some time. i'd say about an hour. im heating up garage as we speak for a tunnel protector and 126 pick install.

need a template? i'll sell you mine for $18 shipped.
USCC #143 USCC Cross Country Racing
ECS #143 East Coast Snocross
SHCRA #143 SHCRA
Cat Race Braaper
Syracuse, NY
gerard143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
instructions says a 20-30 min job. ready the instructions it doesnt seem all that bad. just takes some time. i'd say about an hour. im heating up garage as we speak for a tunnel protector and 126 pick install.

need a template? i'll sell you mine for $18 shipped.[/b]
Don't think it will be here tomorrow

I guess the dealer was probably just pissed I am not paying him to do it and tried to make it seem like a big job. 20-30min. job is fine. Guess I'll go for a ride tonight and tomorrow night too!!
Old 01-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rob,
Not a big deal, but it does take an hour or so. Hang the sled from something like a overhead hoist. I used my tractor bucket. Strip off the side panels and hood, tank cover and seat and then remove the tank (and under tank bag). I left it connected to the fuel lines and swung it out 90 degrees to the PTO side and rested it on a "work mate" stand. The idler wheel shaft comes out real easy and you don't even need to loosen the track. Two more carriage type bolts to remove that separates the black rear slide rail arm to the red triangular frame and the whole works drops clear of the tunnel. I tried skipping this step but there's no way to reach between the track and tunnel to install the protectors. There will be a row of rivets running down two seams on the top of the tunnel and you'll find 4 holes on each side that don't go through the bottom layer. These are the ones that are drilled out for the fasteners.

Once you're done that you'll need the parts to put in. The instructions are clear and the re-assemble is easy too. Should be 30 minutes or so from here. I studded my track from the top at this time as well.

Got any snow over there? We were considering riding north of Pembroke into Quebec next week.

L8r
MuskokaRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Rob,
Not a big deal, but it does take an hour or so. Hang the sled from something like a overhead hoist. I used my tractor bucket. Strip off the side panels and hood, tank cover and seat and then remove the tank (and under tank bag). I left it connected to the fuel lines and swung it out 90 degrees to the PTO side and rested it on a "work mate" stand. The idler wheel shaft comes out real easy and you don't even need to loosen the track. Two more carriage type bolts to remove that separates the black rear slide rail arm to the red triangular frame and the whole works drops clear of the tunnel. I tried skipping this step but there's no way to reach between the track and tunnel to install the protectors. There will be a row of rivets running down two seams on the top of the tunnel and you'll find 4 holes on each side that don't go through the bottom layer. These are the ones that are drilled out for the fasteners.

Once you're done that you'll need the parts to put in. The instructions are clear and the re-assemble is easy too. Should be 30 minutes or so from here. I studded my track from the top at this time as well.

Got any snow over there? We were considering riding north of Pembroke into Quebec next week.

L8r[/b]

the instructions blow and have step 8 twice..... numerous typos.... and u use a t25 torx not a t27. a 2nd grader could have proof read it better. polaris should be ashamed as its obvious no one gave it a half of a glance before it was printed. i have pics i'll post now. this will make it easier.

def takes about an hour...hour and a half. roll the thing on its side. way easier then dicking with the sled's ass end in the air. did it myself with no helpers. its not real hard just takes time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 012.JPG (491.3 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 013.JPG (623.6 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 021.JPG (640.0 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 020.JPG (488.4 KB, 101 views)
SHCRA #143 SHCRA
Cat Race Braaper
Syracuse, NY
Old 01-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

If you have the means to lift it up, I found it was pretty easy since the tank was still attached. Also a much better position for studding. I didn't get too bent out of shape over the lack of proofing of the instructions, maybe because I just looked at the two pictures and had it figured out.

Gerard, have you tried that thing on the snow yet? Looks like you've had some fun in the mud somewhere!

L8r
MuskokaRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
If you have the means to lift it up, I found it was pretty easy since the tank was still attached. Also a much better position for studding. I didn't get too bent out of shape over the lack of proofing of the instructions, maybe because I just looked at the two pictures and had it figured out.

Gerard, have you tried that thing on the snow yet? Looks like you've had some fun in the mud somewhere!

L8r[/b]

man you think the sled lifted up is a better position for studding? damn. not me. much better laying it on its side. its studded 126 now and the tunnel protectors are in. I definately disconnected my tank completely. for one its easy (need the line disconnect tool... 3/8 automotive style) and I definately didnt want to leave it hanging by the lines.... two it had 10 gallons in it so I definately couldnt leave it hanging by its lines haha. tired though. studding a track sux.

An interesting note and off topic.... now my fucking fuel sender works. I took it out again during all this to check it over again. Perhaps that damn float was stuck under the pickup lines as it hasnt worked since brand new. I took a magnetic pickup tool and worked it up and down with it running and it's working. Hopefully it stays that way. Gotta call the dealer and tell em to hold off on that replacement one.

haha and o ya... its seen plenty of snow...only had like one day of marginal snow conditions. My digital camera has a tendency to make things look about 10x dirtier then they are and 10x rustier. Its a weird trait of it. But yes now that I got the garage real hot and about a months worth of snow finally melted all off it it does look dirty doesnt it.

SHCRA #143 SHCRA
Cat Race Braaper
Syracuse, NY
Old 01-08-2010, 07:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Rob,

L8r[/b]
Yeah, we got good snow here. I have not run from Ottawa to Lachute yet since the river is still flowing strong.
Had cars on my lake (Near Mt. Tremblant) at Christmas, which was a first in recorded history. We have no roads to the cottage.

Setting up to be a great winter around here. More snow is always great, but we have enough to ride now. You're in good shape for your ride.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
the instructions blow and have step 8 twice..... numerous typos.... and u use a t25 torx not a t27. a 2nd grader could have proof read it better. polaris should be ashamed as its obvious no one gave it a half of a glance before it was printed. i have pics i'll post now. this will make it easier.

def takes about an hour...hour and a half. roll the thing on its side. way easier then dicking with the sled's ass end in the air. did it myself with no helpers. its not real hard just takes time.[/b]
Thanks for the insight!! Glad it worked out well for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement