New to my buddy, Ski Doo 2001 MXZ-700 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XP/XR New Style MXZ This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Default New to my buddy, Ski Doo 2001 MXZ-700

A friend just purchased a used 2001 MXZ 700. I think it is a 2001. On the plate that shows VIN, Date Mfg. and all that stuff it's blank. There is nothing on that plate, I think that is odd. So, a few questions, What spark plug does this sled use? It has a BR9ECS in it now. The Yamaha SRX runs the same plug and they are WICKED expensive plugs @ $8.00 each. Is the Mobile-1 75W-90 gear oil we use in the Yamaha's OK to use in this sled as well. How hard is it to pull the carbs on this thing? It looks like a PITA with all the wires and tubing for the air/temp compensation stuff on it. He has no maint history on the sled, what should we be looking at as far as stress cracks, shock mounts, bearings.... All that stuff. He did pay $6.00 and downloaded a Ski Doo manual for this sled, it is 1000 pages in PDF. I have not looked at it yet, but I will be.

What is the funny two prong tool in the tool bag, looks like some tool to adjust or change a belt or clutch.

BTW, I have 5 Yamaha's in the stable so wrenching on sleds is not new, but this Ski Doo is all new to me. Thanks, Doug
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

What oil is best to run in this thing. He runs Yamalube in his Yamaha, I am guessing it should be fine in this as well so he only needs one type of oil. The oil in it now is red that all we know, and it STINKS to all hell.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

My mistake, it's actually a 2002 according to my buddy. It's also a Canada sled. He bought it here in NY but it shows KM on the speedo.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 Mach Z-07 Blizzard 600-08 XP600
Previous Sled(s): 04 Rev 800X

Check the crank seal on the pto side. Tend to shit the bed. I had a 2000 which wasn't too bad a sled. If you ride sitting up near tank, actually will handle pretty good.
800ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '13 BC X '13 SUMMIT X
Previous Sled(s): Many doos
Favorite Riding Area: any place with snow...
Riding Since: 1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_SXR700 View Post
A friend just purchased a used 2001 MXZ 700. I think it is a 2001. On the plate that shows VIN, Date Mfg. and all that stuff it's blank. There is nothing on that plate, I think that is odd. So, a few questions, What spark plug does this sled use? It has a BR9ECS in it now. The Yamaha SRX runs the same plug and they are WICKED expensive plugs @ $8.00 each. Is the Mobile-1 75W-90 gear oil we use in the Yamaha's OK to use in this sled as well. How hard is it to pull the carbs on this thing? It looks like a PITA with all the wires and tubing for the air/temp compensation stuff on it. He has no maint history on the sled, what should we be looking at as far as stress cracks, shock mounts, bearings.... All that stuff. He did pay $6.00 and downloaded a Ski Doo manual for this sled, it is 1000 pages in PDF. I have not looked at it yet, but I will be.

What is the funny two prong tool in the tool bag, looks like some tool to adjust or change a belt or clutch.

BTW, I have 5 Yamaha's in the stable so wrenching on sleds is not new, but this Ski Doo is all new to me. Thanks, Doug
Should use NGK BR9ES plugs. Carbs are not as bad as it looks once you take them off. I always use BRP synthetic gear oil in the chaincase...cost about $15 for a jug. The 2 prong tool is used to adjust your shocks.....
Old 11-04-2012, 03:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): ski doos mostly
Previous Sled(s): lots of em
Favorite Riding Area: mountains or rivers or woods
Riding Since: 1980

you guys need to to a leak down test and a compression test.Mostr likely the clutches need an inspection and a cleaning.After that check your motors alignment.
Check out dootalk for info on the 2 tests and clutch info.
pozz907420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Current Sled(s): 2014 XR 1200X Gade
Previous Sled(s): 2010 XR 1200 Gade,08 XP800 Gade,04 800 Gade,03 ZR 900SP,
Favorite Riding Area: CNY
13-14 Mileage: 3448
12-13 Mileage: 3211
11-12 Mileage: 3656
10-11 Mileage: 4025
Riding Since: 1845

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_SXR700 View Post

That tool is prolly for shock adjustments by the description you give.

Check carb boots for dilapidation also.

There's those who get out and get it while they can and there those who cry about not getting it while it was here!!!

BobbyNJ66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement