600 Etec failure! - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XP/XR New Style MXZ This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 12 BackCountry 800
Previous Sled(s): 10Gage600etec; 04REV600HO; 01MXZ600; 98-440x
Favorite Riding Area: Western Mountains ME
Riding Since: 1987
Default 600 Etec failure!

Just a little info on sled... 2010 Renegade 600 etec adrenaline with a 1.75 bc track and 2700 miles. Sled/engine just came to stop and will now not start. Ride 70/30 trail/off trail.

I know there are other topics out there but wondering/wanting more input. Seems it could be a bad crank seal, bad oil injector, bad gas, or spark plug/knock sensor pin falling into cylinder. Or possible electrical problem. (All fuses seem ok that I could find)

Full Story...
Was driving home on the trail after a 150 mile day about 2 miles from the house. Sled was running normal/fine all day. Sled just stopped with no light or beeps from the computer. Was doing about 60mph and the headlight and gauges started flashing as the sled was coming to a halt. No bangs or noises from engine. Just a shutdown. Once I stopped I tried to start but electric start just made a clunk noise like the engine was seized or dead battery. Waited a minute and tried again... this time is turned but no start. Blowing an engine before (different sled), I got beside the sled and tried turning the primary. Primary turned without any hesitation or hiccups... Tried the electric start again. This time it fire up but I could tell it was only running on one piston. Sled start beeping all lights flashing. Ran for about 5 seconds and shutoff/backfire by itself. Now it wont start at all and just backfires every time.

Have it at the dealer now but not being looked at for a few days. After doing some research found others had issues with...

___
etec goes down with no warning lights it is not a fuel/lean issue it is a crank seal/ leak on the bottom end which will cause any motor to go bad. The dealer told my friend they were told about this occurrence and it will not show up on a dummy light because it comes from the bottom end.
___
PTO side crank seal failed, even thought they didn't pressure test it prior to disassemble. Needs crank, bearings, seal, piston, connecting rod and jug. $2500.00
___
Ultimately the etec motor failures that the ECM cannot protect against is bottom end air leaks which causes a lean situation in the case and bearings will fail. This damage/failure happens prior to or During temp heat up of motor/coolant. That is why there is not a temp indicator until the issue has occurred and the damage is done. Conversely top end failures are due to lean situations which start burning hotter before the failure happens. So, when the lean state starts prior to damage the temp goes up and the light comes on. Also, The ECM starts adjusting the timing and the a/f ration and if it doe not correct it will go into limp mode to avoid damage.
____
My buddies 09 etec went down with no warning back in December with 4500 miles on it. Seized up one side tight and when tore down dealer found the injector failed on that side. BRP warrantied the whole job, less one spark plug on good side, cost him a whole $17.00. Ask your dealer about the injector.
____
I have an '09 etec with 4010 miles on it and just had the mag side ring pin come out which in turn trashed the cylinder. I have read a few other posts with this or something similar taking place but I do not think its the norm. It took place during slow travel and low rpm's so it don't have to happen going balls to the wall.
___
The other issue is that the ring anti rotation pin has a habit of coming out.. and a ring will catch a port and the engine will self destruct.
___
Dealer replaced ECM, PTO injector, PTO coil. I believe that all was caused by a spark plug that was broken off in the spark plug nut. Each part was replaced during a different visit. Essentially every time I went on a trip I had trouble.

Then on what turned out to be my last trip the motor went. Both pistons, mag side cylinder and injector. The piston ring appeared to have been nipped in it grove. BRP helped with the parts for the motor a request was not made for assistance on the problems above.
___

Was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues or have some more input for me?

Thanks in advance!

-Sean
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

could be your ecm but the fact that the motor was seized you said at 1st has me puzzled
Capt. Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Yeah... the only other thing I can think of is there was a little oil spilled out the top of the cap. After taking the cap off it looked like the rubber gasket was folded and didn't have a good seal, so some oil had leaked out. However, not enough to seem like it would do any damage to the electrical. Looked like a little had leaked down around the battery/chain case. Not sure where the ECM is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstinker View Post
could be your ecm but the fact that the motor was seized you said at 1st has me puzzled
Old 02-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Lost Engine in 2009 600 etec

April 2011 on groomed trail Engine just died with no warning, Tried to restart and it seemed like the Engine was seized, waited for awhile and it started on one cylinder, Took it to dealer, they couldn;t tell me what caused it or what happened but they had to replace all one side of motor, cylinder, piston, rings and head, it cost me $2100.00 and it only had 1400km.s on it, Bombardier would not look at me regarding warrenty, as it was past just two months,

I just got it back from dealer this past week, It has a little miss when idling but other than that it has lots of power, However let her warmup and drive it for mile or so and the check Engine light now comes on and she looses one cylinder and half power and may even stall, Leave it alone for a couple of minutes and then start it again and she works fine a quater of a mile and the samething happens repeatly over and over and becomes more frequent,

I am to my limit with Bombardier and the 600 etecs. Feels like i have no other choice but to take legal action against Bombardier when you have a sled with just 1400km's and after spending $2100.00 and its still not working, Just can afford to have this machine,

I hope somebody have some answers for me as BRP dont seem to have them
lewishillrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

That's why I got rid of my etec and went back to a carb 600....etec motors have way too much electronics for a 2 cycle engine....if I get something else besides a carb sled it will be a Doo 4 stroke....never buy an ETEC out if warranty!!!
yzf1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): None :(
Previous Sled(s): 2007 Apex RTX
Favorite Riding Area: Mont Valin, Gaspe
12-13 Mileage: 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
___
The other issue is that the ring anti rotation pin has a habit of coming out.. and a ring will catch a port and the engine will self destruct.

Was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues or have some more input for me?

Thanks in advance!

-Sean
This happened to my friends 09 when it had 2,000 miles on it. Just died on the side of the trail. BRP had him up and running in less than a week.
one ton fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Ski-Doo GT V-1000, 600 ACE, ZX 600
Previous Sled(s): 4 Ski-Doo's and AC Pantera
Favorite Riding Area: Millinocket, Jackman, NEK
Riding Since: 2004

Fitzy did your sled get fixed? What was it?
yabbadabbadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

My wifes 09 etec lost a cylinder in quebec in 09 with around 900? miles on it. After an approx. 2 hr discussion with BRP over the phone after the dealer said the engines were backordered, they gave us a rental sled for her and they overnighted a new engine on the next workday which was monday. We`ve put another 4000 miles on it since with no problems. There was no expense to us, except for the extended warranty that we bought. I think they had many problems early on with the 600 etecs, but I thought they were ok now with the updates.
Northbound 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadabbadoo View Post
Fitzy did your sled get fixed? What was it?
Yes, just heard from the dealer yesterday. Low end mag side was grenaded. I was 364 days out of warranty (stupid me not to buy the extended). My dealer went to battle for me with BRP. Got them to cover 1/2 the price of a brand new engine but I'm out on labor and the other 1/2 of the engine instead of just a re-build. I guess its better than nothing but still upset that a bearing went with 2800 miles on it. $1650 I owe out of a $2300 job. For my type of riding I will not be buying another 600 for sure.

Bought a new 800 etec BC 2012 and love it... lesion learned here... buying the extended warranty.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 F800 Sno Pro orange/black
Previous Sled(s): 440/700 SNOPRO 2 03 F7 efi
Favorite Riding Area: DISTRICT 5
13-14 Mileage: Almostdied
12-13 Mileage: 192
11-12 Mileage: 19
10-11 Mileage: 2122
Riding Since: 98

Guys!!!!!! just buy a good 06 Firecat F7 R with low miles, u will blow almost anything away, and u will have a sled with a suzuki motor that wont need a new piston/ring set till 12000 miles, and then just do a precautionary one, oil and fuel is cheaper then rebuilding those etecs u know!!!! 2003 FIRECAT F7 efi, 12336 miles and counting!!! tops out at 116mph!
Aalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement