800R Antifreeze Leak - Page 3 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XP/XR New Style MXZ This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): POLARIS ASSAULT EIGHT
Previous Sled(s): three Doo...three Cats..Pol Assault en Route
Favorite Riding Area: NEK.....mountains... OFFTRAIL
13-14 Mileage: NOT ENOUGH
11-12 Mileage: 2000
10-11 Mileage: ?
Riding Since: 90

Bad bottles, They overheat and the bottle actually melt to the point of losing the seal @ the cap. Take it back, and get your new belts also...
offthetrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 12 XRS 800 / 12 Assault / 15 RMK 155
Favorite Riding Area: In the Backcountry

Mine leaked a/f from day one and after a few times to the dealer it turned out to be a cracked cylinder. Same problem with a couple of sleds at my dealer.
empiresportriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #23 (permalink)

BRP is aware of the issue and as they deal with most issues they have first addressed it in a Dealer Bulletin. This means they are aware of it. It does not mean they are going to do anything about it with existing sleds, but most likely with newly built sleds. ( Got this off of Dootalk.com)
xpxryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #24 (permalink)

Sorry forgot to add this:

BRP is aware of the issue and as they deal with most issues they have first addressed it in a Dealer Bulletin. This means they are aware of it. It does not mean they are going to do anything about it with existing sleds, but most likely with newly built sleds.

It reads:
"We have received a few reports of mystical coolant loss. Many times this is mistaken for overheating. We've noticed that a few coolant reservoirs tend to leak slightly around the cap. This causes some coolant loss out the overflow tube, which is mistaken for engine overheating. Most dealers tell us that once the coolant reaches a level slightly lower than the full line, it stays there. If you fill the reservoir, some coolant may leak past the cap seal and the level will return to the slightly low level again. This appears to be where the system likes to operate and can be left alone. Also because of the new thermostat and coolant routing the .engine will seem warmer than the heat exchangers at times. This is normal.
If overheating is suspected, you must determine if the engine is truly overheating. Does the overheat light come on? Is the engine extremely hot? Is the coolant circulating? If you determine that the engine is really not getting hot, simply tell your customers to let the reservoir run a little low, and keep an eye on it."
xpxryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:56 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2008 MXZX 800R Renegade
Favorite Riding Area: Bancroft, Ontario
12-13 Mileage: Not Enough
11-12 Mileage: Even less
10-11 Mileage: Decent
Riding Since: 2000

Quote:
Bad bottles, They overheat and the bottle actually melt to the point of losing the seal @ the cap. Take it back, and get your new belts also...[/b]
Mine went down a bit, but nothing leaked, been good so far, just over 600 miles, belt still looks new too!!
scrimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Just got back from the dealer.

An antifreeze line that runs under/near the air box rubbed thru and had a pin sized hole in it leaking. Might be a problem on others I would assume....
[/b]

We had to fix one on the trail this weekend. This one was bigger than a pinhole. If your sitting on the sled it's on the right side of the airbox. Rubbed/Vibrated against the airbox. Another one in the group was showing signs, but wasn't through yet. Had to pull the gas tank back in order to fix it.
5 spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:43 AM   #27 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 14 XF 8000 LTD
Previous Sled(s): SRX ET SRV Jet Alouette
Riding Since: 1991

Quote:
If overheating is suspected, you must determine if the engine is truly overheating. Does the overheat light come on? Is the engine extremely hot? Is the coolant circulating? If you determine that the engine is really not getting hot, simply tell your customers to let the reservoir run a little low, and keep an eye on it."[/b]

Ekkkss so run it low on coolant but yet keep a eye on it?... damn does that ever sound reassuring.

Thinking about a XP thats why i in the doo forum.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #28 (permalink)

Just watch it The program from Ski Doo is that it's a self leveling system it will purge some antifreeze until it finds it's level then you should not see anymore.Noticed mine untill about 750 miles then has been fine. I watch my bottle just to make sure the level
was ok.
vmaxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:17 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Found my resevoir almost empty, among a plethora of other problems on my last check to go out of town
revrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:00 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 13 Renegade BC 800R E-TEC
Previous Sled(s): 11 Rengade 1200
Favorite Riding Area: Pittsburg, NH
13-14 Mileage: 1900
12-13 Mileage: 1300
11-12 Mileage: 2600
10-11 Mileage: 2140
Riding Since: 92

Leaky clamp replaced ran fine for 700 miles this weekend loaded it last night on trailer got up this morning antifreeze all over the trailer floor and bottle empty going back tomorrow ahhhhhhh
JJL-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement