Best CDI for a ZRT600? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

ZRT/Thundercat This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Ron Hunyady 1107 Cat Triple :)
Default Best CDI for a ZRT600?

I am asking for a guy I know.....he has a race sled and has it punched out to a ZRT700. He wanted to know if there was one year of the ZRT600 cdi's that were better for racing. I've never messed with ZRT 600's ever so any help/info I can relay onto him would be appreciated.

The link below leads you to my Cat electrical diagnosis videos.
Arctic Cat Electrical Testing
blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Need more info on the engine, primarily rpm.
Most will say the T-Cat for serious, high rpm race engines.That's over 10,000 RPM for the ZRT 600. IMHO the ORIGINAL 1995 800 and 1000 CDI's are a very close second, slight difference in timing curve. They were superseded with a milder box, so you want an original. Only way to know for sure is the CU number on the CDI or measure the timing curve yourself.
motormind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Which CU would be the good one? How do you measure the timing curve? I m setting up an improved stock 600, with the 10200 pipes and ported pretty heavy. I have a cdi box ,I think is out of an 95 zrt 800,,but the CU number is rubbed off. Kind of a poor way to mark these things, I have a half a dozen cdi s around and half have no marking left.

Last edited by stolpy123; 11-18-2011 at 01:25 PM.
stolpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpy123 View Post
Which CU would be the good one? How do you measure the timing curve? I m setting up an improved stock 600, with the 10200 pipes and ported pretty heavy. I have a cdi box ,I think is out of an 95 zrt 800,,but the CU number is rubbed off. Kind of a poor way to mark these things, I have a half a dozen cdi s around and half have no marking left.
Most common way is mark degrees on flywheel or clutch and check with a timing light. Just stay off to the side in case the clutch explodes at 10.000 rpm! I'll try to dig up my old notes and 95' boxes. I did a couple 600's years ago, 164hp with the BM pipes. Who's doing your porting and heads etc?
I still have several good parts like cylinders if you need anything. Ya, those markings practically fell of the cdi.
motormind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I have two ported setups,One was done by Black Magic ,They claimed 165 hp. I m going to run that one at 9400 rpms with D&D pipes, 38mm carbs. That has the 99 ignition on it. Then I have another setup I picked up this summer . Came out of Canada, Iantomasi did the worlk on the the cylinders and heads, came with the 10200 pipes, although he mentioned it being tempramental when trying to run the big rpms. If it gives too many issues I ve got a set of 9200 pipes too.. I did pick up a cdi out of a 95 800 zrt. so I know what I have to start.. That running a sled 10000 rpm under no load doesn t sound very good to me. Any input is good. How much differance is this differant cdi going to make versus putting a more advanced key in? It has only a 1 degree now, so that isnt going to change much. thanks gene
stolpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement