symptoms of a stator going bad??? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

ZRT/Thundercat This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 96 zrt 600, 05 F7 joker
Previous Sled(s): 77 eltigre 5000, 79 eltigre 5000
Favorite Riding Area: black hills
12-13 Mileage: 400
11-12 Mileage: 450
10-11 Mileage: 600
Riding Since: 2004

i was just wondering what happens when the stator goes bad?? does the sled stop all together?, does it miss? answers please...
zrt 600 rider 4 u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): ZRT 800, Not stock.

I've had 2 that just went completely dead. I've had one that would start and idle and cut out at higher RPM's. I had another chug along at idle, but would not go over 3000 RPM if throttle is pinned.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Ron Hunyady 1107 Cat Triple :)

Quote:
i was just wondering what happens when the stator goes bad?? does the sled stop all together?, does it miss? answers please...[/b]
There are all kinds of symptoms depending on if the stator goes totally bad or is "going" bad. Every once in a while a guy has bad reeds causing a "miss" and thought that the stator was going bad. In some cases you get no spark. Sometimes you get weak spark and sometimes you get a missing condition a couple of seconds after you push the throttle. There is no 100% sure easy way to test the stator. You can measure the ohms and possibly see a bad stator but you can also get "good" readings within spec and still have a bad stator because it is shorting out internally. You can get a voltage output tester and it still shows "good" output even though at running conditions it is not putting out adaquate voltage at rpms. You can also have a bad coil. I read somewhere a while back that if you have all of your plugs out, pull it over and one plug seems to be bright blue and one has more of an orange or "weak" spark that your coils are bad. When I checked my triple a couple of years ago I had one plug that was very bright blue when you pulled it over and the other 2 were weak or "orangish" looking. There are people who have never had one go bad on them and I have had 2 sets go bad on me. The least likely failure in the system is the CDI box. Of course they can go bad too, but they usually last. Of course you can swap out parts to see which one fixes it. I ohm tested my coils and they showed good but my sled was missing as soon as you held the throttle to the bar for more than 3 or 4 seconds. After swapping out a set of coils it was fixed. Of course you should make sure all connections are good including the ground, no wire insulation is worn, there is no moisture in the connectors ect. The 3 main symptoms is that it either wan't start due to lack of spark or it'll start and idle ok but after you get higher rpms it misses a little bit (or a lot) or it will barely start and won't go anywhere.

The link below leads you to my Cat electrical diagnosis videos.
Arctic Cat Electrical Testing
blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I forgot to mention that you should also check your jumper wires between your coils. If the connections are loose, it'll cause an intermitten "miss" when riding and it acts like a stator going bad.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): zr900
Previous Sled(s): thundercat 900
Riding Since: 12

Quote:
I forgot to mention that you should also check your jumper wires between your coils. If the connections are loose, it'll cause an intermitten "miss" when riding and it acts like a stator going bad.[/b]
mine dropped a cylinder and the next day it wouldnt start i just happened to have a spare all big tripple owners should have a spare common problem
arcticcat9oo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Advanced Member

[attachment=594215:user6920...07_thumb.jpg]
Quote:
mine dropped a cylinder and the next day it wouldnt start i just happened to have a spare all big tripple owners should have a spare common problem[/b]
my brother had two go bad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user69209_pic58885_1257702607_thumb.jpg (5.4 KB, 120 views)
Old 11-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
mine dropped a cylinder and the next day it wouldnt start i just happened to have a spare all big tripple owners should have a spare common problem[/b]
Spare coils or stator?

Old 11-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:
Spare coils or stator?[/b]
stators, never had a coil go bad
Old 11-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:
stators, never had a coil go bad[/b]
or a cdi go bad
Old 11-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:
There are all kinds of symptoms depending on if the stator goes totally bad or is "going" bad. Every once in a while a guy has bad reeds causing a "miss" and thought that the stator was going bad. In some cases you get no spark. Sometimes you get weak spark and sometimes you get a missing condition a couple of seconds after you push the throttle. There is no 100% sure easy way to test the stator. You can measure the ohms and possibly see a bad stator but you can also get "good" readings within spec and still have a bad stator because it is shorting out internally. You can get a voltage output tester and it still shows "good" output even though at running conditions it is not putting out adaquate voltage at rpms. You can also have a bad coil. I read somewhere a while back that if you have all of your plugs out, pull it over and one plug seems to be bright blue and one has more of an orange or "weak" spark that your coils are bad. When I checked my triple a couple of years ago I had one plug that was very bright blue when you pulled it over and the other 2 were weak or "orangish" looking. There are people who have never had one go bad on them and I have had 2 sets go bad on me. The least likely failure in the system is the CDI box. Of course they can go bad too, but they usually last. Of course you can swap out parts to see which one fixes it. I ohm tested my coils and they showed good but my sled was missing as soon as you held the throttle to the bar for more than 3 or 4 seconds. After swapping out a set of coils it was fixed. Of course you should make sure all connections are good including the ground, no wire insulation is worn, there is no moisture in the connectors ect. The 3 main symptoms is that it either wan't start due to lack of spark or it'll start and idle ok but after you get higher rpms it misses a little bit (or a lot) or it will barely start and won't go anywhere.[/b]
im the the brother of 96 tcat every time i needed anew stator was after warm ride through tight trails were the engine gets hotter than usual iswhen my stators got damaged 2 times on the zrt 1time on a wildcat but theiy would run till shut the engin off then it wont reastart
96zrtcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement