06 FST Classic Belt Issues - HCS Snowmobile Forums

FST/4 stroke This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 Ski-doo Freeride 146
Default 06 FST Classic Belt Issues

I'll also post on polarisfiles once the registration is approved.

I bought a used 2006 Polaris FST Classic earlier this year, first time out I could smell a real light hint of rubber, almost as if the belt was smoking. Also felt like it was skipping in either the primary or secondary (can't tell). The guy I bought it from had just changed the belt. Anyways, I go to load it on the trailer and could really smell/see smoke from the belt. Brought it in and had it replaced.

Flash forward to today. We just got snow so I decided to take it out again. Every time I tried to go from a start I could smell a little rubber, not bad though. Kept going. I knew the belt was tight enough b/c every once in a while I would hear a squeal. Nothing huge.

So I hit some deep snow and suddenly came to a dead stop with the belt smoking. Clean the area around the sled and got it out. Now when I accelerate all I feel/hear is the belt slipping.

So what is going on, is this common? What should I look for? I sure can't afford new belts every time out!
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Okay, I've done some research and one of my problems is air flow - damn belt is getting too hot. I ordered the hot air elimination kit (SLP) and will try this out. Hopefully it helps...

Any other suggestions / things to look at would be appreciated!
Old 02-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Current Sled(s): 2010 RUSH
Previous Sled(s): 2007 600 Switchback
Favorite Riding Area: Bancroft Ontario Canada
11-12 Mileage: 1450
Riding Since: 1829

check your clutchs, springs might be due for replacement
H8 TO WORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Thanks H8 TO WORK - what exactly should I be looking for with regards to the clutch? I don't necessarily have tools for taking it apart. But besides that can you tell visually if there's a problem?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Make sure that the belt is adjusted properly. You should have about 1-1/4" of deflection. On the secondary you can use the adjuster and get the belt about 1/8" above the clutch when its sitting and you'll be close but an actual check would be a good idea. Also, make sure you have the Polaris 3211121 belt. Anything else is no good on this sled. The 098 belt will smoke and bust regularly due to the heat and power. The 121 belt is kevlar impregnated and can handle it. Venting is big on these as well.

AGAIN....... Make sure the clutches are aligned properly and by the book. The FST specs are not the same as the 2 strokes and proper alignment is huge on these.

Scooter
scooterber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Thanks Scooter. I would have assumed the shop checked the alignment, but that could be a bad assumption. Is it that easy to hourglass the belt under load...and I shouldn't be smelling a slight odor of rubber every time I take off?
Old 02-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013FST touring/2013Renegade 1200/2010fst tou
Previous Sled(s): XCR 800 / xc 700sp
Favorite Riding Area: Up River ( The Big Road )
Riding Since: 1982

These sleds have alot of secondary spring/helixe pressure and I find the mounts are to soft . I hear a lot of guys are installing the upgraded mounts from precision sports .
Old 02-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Thanks Bathurst. I see you have a FST also and commented on the mounts. By chance having the same issue?
Old 02-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Also a stupid question - what is reasonable for wearing in a new belt. i.e. how long, how hard, etc. Just curious if I was too hard on the new belt.

I know deep snow and no vents may have been the big factor.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I have 4400 mi on my first belt. The only reason I changed it was because the track was froze and my daughter smoked it.
grizz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement