Tips for Newbs... - Page 3 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

General Discussion Forum Where sometimes threads get Hyjacked!!! This Forum for off topic, mostly non-sledding related talk. Just remember comments about a member's Family is 100% OFF LIMITS! Posting pictures of another members family, personal attacks, and threatening posts involving physical harm, WILL NOT be tolerated. The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread, a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited. Sharing of private messages from site staff is against site rules and will be subject to banning from site temporarily or permanently.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 XF 1100 Turbo LTD, 2004 ZR 900 SP
Previous Sled(s): 1997 ZRT 600
Favorite Riding Area: Where the snow falls
12-13 Mileage: 0.002
11-12 Mileage: 2000
10-11 Mileage: 3000
Default Re: Tips for Newbs...

Don't eat any yellow snow on the side of the trail. I can't stress this enough.

Sent from my MZ604 using Snowmobile.com App
*Clutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #22 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodDB View Post
good stuff... I've been praying for snow since I've been walking and spent most of my life involved in some sort of snow sport, mainly snowboarding on Mt.Hood... The advice of carrying essentials; maps, gps, compass, etc, has saved my arse a handful of times... Recently, I followed a job to WI and have been in severe altitude withdrawal ever since, hence the sled....

Found out first hand this weekend how easy it is to get turned around on lakes at night (gps saved me) and how many asshats like to rip blind corners and hills but otherwise it was a great 100 mi trip.

One question about speed... Other than the fact that I love it and tend to get over confident a little too quickly, I also don't want to paint a tree with my fluids... I know guys rip on the lakes and long straight sections of the corridor trails but whats the general consensus regarding high speed runs? When do you do it and more importantly when do you refrain?

Just don't get caught in MN.
drewvr51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #23 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: maine
11-12 Mileage: 500
Riding Since: 1999

stay to the right. this can't be stressed enough.

ride mid-week if you can, traffic on the trails is much lighter, and thus safer

when you take a break at a trail-side establishment, throw some money in the grooming fund jar
Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #24 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2003 ski doo mxzx 600ho

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodDB View Post
One question about speed... Other than the fact that I love it and tend to get over confident a little too quickly, I also don't want to paint a tree with my fluids... I know guys rip on the lakes and long straight sections of the corridor trails but whats the general consensus regarding high speed runs? When do you do it and more importantly when do you refrain?
i like to know the area before i do any high speed runs. if you are going to do it on a lake, make sure you know where you are going. you do not want to come up to an unexpected ice heave or something similar. i know a few people get hurt hitting heaves going way too fast
slep64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #25 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slep64 View Post
i like to know the area before i do any high speed runs. if you are going to do it on a lake, make sure you know where you are going. you do not want to come up to an unexpected ice heave or something similar. i know a few people get hurt hitting heaves going way too fast
Just wanted to expand on the ice heaves in case you're not sure what they are. Whenever someone pins the throttle from a stop you get a snow buildup between the track and the snow flap. That can sometimes leave a mound of snow that will eventually freeze into a solid lump. These heaves can literally be anywhere. Back in my trail days if I was gonna do a high speed run I would run the route at moderate speed first to scout it out and then run the high speed run in the same direction that i ran the moderate speed run at. Sometimes the trail or lake can be very different in one direction than it is in the other.

Oh and buy a spot beacon. They are about $90 and if you are ever lost or hurt or whatever they will save your life. I've seen people say that they are kinda expensive but all you need to do is ask your wife if your life is worth $90. If she says no you need a new wife.
06 Switchback 900

Last edited by polarisfornow; 02-05-2013 at 11:41 AM.
polarisfornow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '09 Polaris 146" RMK Assault
Previous Sled(s): '98 Yamaha SRX
Favorite Riding Area: Vilas Co
11-12 Mileage: 30
10-11 Mileage: 820
Default Tips for Newbs...

I believe the "ice heaves" slep64 is referring to is on lakes when it's below freezing and ice is being made, it expands and has no where to go and it creates a heave. they come out of nowhere when going 100mph+

Sent from Snowmobile.com App
Old 02-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuips View Post
I believe the "ice heaves" slep64 is referring to is on lakes when it's below freezing and ice is being made, it expands and has no where to go and it creates a heave. they come out of nowhere when going 100mph+

Sent from Snowmobile.com App
Ah yes... That's a possibility as well.
06 Switchback 900
polarisfornow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #28 (permalink)
Paparazzi of the Trail

Current Sled(s): 2010 MXZ800R
Previous Sled(s): 2006 MXZ800X
Favorite Riding Area: Parry Sound On.
10-11 Mileage: 1325
Riding Since: 1985

Ice heave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heave.jpg (139.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Current Sled(s): 06 Xfire 700 sp black
Previous Sled(s): 95 zr580 99 zr700
Favorite Riding Area: CNY
Riding Since: 1998

yes he was talking about pressure cracks and ice heaves on the lakes.I hit one before and previously new it was there,just not the exact spot and it was hard to see until it was right in front of you with no time to stop.luckily this was just a nice big hump with a nice face like a good jump.so I hit it head on a 75 at night and my sled took it without any prob. and landed smooth.scared me a bit though.then a friend clipped the edge of it with just one ski doing like 90+ during the day and that just through him off the sled and they both rolled for many ft. sled landed upright and coasted so no damage.If you hit a wall of ice or something bad that can kill or injure you.I just squeeze the throttle and hope for the best no practice runs on every trail that would take to much time and gas.
yamahayzf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '13 Switchback Pro-R LE 800
Previous Sled(s): '01 Zrt 6
Favorite Riding Area: U.P.
13-14 Mileage: 512
12-13 Mileage: 1366
11-12 Mileage: 500
10-11 Mileage: 600
Riding Since: 1998

Never, ever, never blast down a railroad grade (long straight trail)that you haven't already RECENTLY been down before. I learned my lesson, forgot it, then learned it again. My last lesson involved hitting a 4' bump at about 70 mph. I had no time to slow down....just get my ass off the seat. The outcome was alright but it could have gone much worse if I didn't hit that thing square on.
Advertisement