Plumbers... How do you take apart PVC pipe... - HCS Snowmobile Forums

General Discussion Forum Where sometimes threads get Hyjacked!!! This Forum for off topic, mostly non-sledding related talk. Just remember comments about a member's Family is 100% OFF LIMITS! Posting pictures of another members family, personal attacks, and threatening posts involving physical harm, WILL NOT be tolerated. The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread, a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited. Sharing of private messages from site staff is against site rules and will be subject to banning from site temporarily or permanently.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ski Doo Official Representative

Current Sled(s): 15 Ski-Doo Renegade X 1200
Previous Sled(s): 12 MXZ-X 800R E-Tec, 09 XP 800R, & 04 Rev 800 HO
Favorite Riding Area: Northern Minn
13-14 Mileage: 1442
12-13 Mileage: 1538
11-12 Mileage: 479
10-11 Mileage: 1,138
Riding Since: 1985

Force??? Heat??? Solvent??? Hack Saw & replace???

I want to fix the dishwasher. The folks that installed it used the wrong type of sealant and it leaks. I need to take the pipes apart and remove the old sealant and use the right stuff. I guess they used purple stuff when they should've used red or high pressure stuff or something like that. Any advice would be appreciated...
nacapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2011 Pro R Retro 800
Previous Sled(s): 2003 Pro X 800

Quote:

I want to fix the dishwasher. The folks that installed it used the wrong type of sealant and it leaks. I need to take the pipes apart and remove the old sealant and use the right stuff. I guess they used purple stuff when they should've used red or high pressure stuff or something like that. Any advice would be appreciated...[/b]
For the price of just doing the dishwasher plumbing, I would cut it all out and replace it using the proper glue. It wouldn't cost much at all, and you know it's right.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

^^^^^X2 I work on PVC sprinklers quite a bit and the only way to get it right is cut and replace.
06 Switchback 900
polarisfornow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): MXZ 600

Are you trying to get the pipe out of a fitting?

Just cut the pipe flush with the end of the fitting
then make two small cuts thru the inside of the pipe about a 1/4" apart, don't cut thru the fitting
take a small screwdriver and a hammer and slowly tap and pry the around the pipe and fitting and it should come right out. Don't beat or pry real hard, just go easy and it will come out, then clean and re-glue the pipe and fitting.

Or cut it all out and start over?
Jerry 976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:

I want to fix the dishwasher. The folks that installed it used the wrong type of sealant and it leaks. I need to take the pipes apart and remove the old sealant and use the right stuff. I guess they used purple stuff when they should've used red or high pressure stuff or something like that. Any advice would be appreciated...[/b]
The purple is a primer / cleaner and the glue is usually clear, maybe it was not properly cleaned and glued. Re-clean/prime the pipe and fitting, then glue the pipe and fitting, push them together and give it a 1/4 turn and hold it together for a few seconds.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Don't try to "fix" the existing leak, that will only lead to problems. If it's black PVC you only need glue. If it's white you need the purple primer then the glue. Just cut it all out and replace. It's possible that the original pipe didn't get enough glue, that's why it leaks. Make sure you cover the entire area.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

You could also try one of these, Pasco ram bits They sell them from 1/2" thru 4" bits.

The black pipe is A.B.S pipe
The white pipe is P.V.C pipe
The almond color pipe is C.P.V.C pipe
Make sure you us the proper glue for the pipe

You do not need primer for A.B.S. pipe and fittings, just P.V.C. and C.P.V.C pipe and fittings need priming and glue.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mr. Blue

Quote:
You could also try one of these, Pasco ram bits They sell them from 1/2" thru 4" bits.

The black pipe is A.B.S pipe
The white pipe is P.V.C pipe
The almond color pipe is C.P.V.C pipe
Make sure you us the proper glue for the pipe

You do not need primer for A.B.S. pipe and fittings, just P.V.C. and C.P.V.C pipe and fittings need priming and glue.[/b]

Whats the Grey stuff? And is it true you guys chew your finger nails when no one is looking?
Old 01-23-2010, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Whats the Grey stuff? And is it true you guys chew your finger nails when no one is looking?[/b]

The Grey pipe can be one of two types of pipe, P.V.C. (Polyvinyl Chloride) or P.B. (Polybutylene)

A.B.S. (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) Black plastic pipe

C.P.V.C. (Chlorinated Polyvinyl Chloride) Almond color plastic pipe

P.V.C. (Polyvinyl Chloride) White or Grey, White is for D.W.V. ( Drain, waste and vent) Grey is usually for electrical

P.B. (Polybutylene) Grey pipe is for water lines.

The stuff under your finger nails is for when you get hungry during the day......
Old 01-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Are you trying to fix the supply line or the drain line? plowking
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement