Tempstar Furnace DC90 Issues - Wont Ignite - HCS Snowmobile Forums

General Discussion Forum Where sometimes threads get Hyjacked!!! This Forum for off topic, mostly non-sledding related talk. Just remember comments about a member's Family is 100% OFF LIMITS! Posting pictures of another members family, personal attacks, and threatening posts involving physical harm, WILL NOT be tolerated. The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread, a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited. Sharing of private messages from site staff is against site rules and will be subject to banning from site temporarily or permanently.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 Renegade 600 E-Tec / What Next ???
Previous Sled(s): 1998-2002 ZR 500s /2003-2005 Firecats F5s / 2006 Crossfires
Favorite Riding Area: Ishpeming MI / Crazy 8s
13-14 Mileage: 1120
12-13 Mileage: 1700
11-12 Mileage: 1350
10-11 Mileage: 1500
Riding Since: 1998

Any HVAC Furnace Experts

I have a Tempstar / Honeywell NTGM075EGA3 Forced Propane Furnace - Pilot wont lite , no heat - Unit is about ten years old

The Exhaust Blower kicks in - The Pressure Switch Clicks on - Looking through the glass site for burner , the igniter starts to glow , and within a few seconds , stops glowing
So the pilot lite is not igniting , hence no heat

How long typically should that igniter stay glowing to fire up the pilot ???

I removed the igniter , cleaned it , still no luck - Anything else i should bee looking at - Propane valves are open , Tank at 40% - Gas Valve Switch is on

Bad Igniter ???

A few years back , i had problems with birds in the condenser pipes outside the house - They had gotten into the pipes/started building nests - Fixed that problem with pipe spouts now installed outside the house and a good air compresser cleaning to get all the straw out - Even found a dead bird in the exhaust blower so had to take that apart and clean - Also cleaned out the washer for exhaust blower - Furnace has been fine other then the bird issues a few years back causing havock with the exhaust blower

Damn cold in the house
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bees / 383 Magnum / 440-6 Pack / Pistol Grip / Slapstick / 3:91 Sure Grip / 4:10 Dana
bee1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Any HVAC Furnace Experts

I have a Tempstar / Honeywell NTGM075EGA3 Forced Propane Furnace - Pilot wont lite , no heat - Unit is about ten years old

The Exhaust Blower kicks in - The Pressure Switch Clicks on - Looking through the glass site for burner , the igniter starts to glow , and within a few seconds , stops glowing

I removed the igniter , cleaned it , still no luck - Anything else i should bee looking at - Propane valves are open , Tank at 40% - Gas Valve Switch is on

Bad Igniter ???

A few years back , i had problems with birds in the condenser pipes outside the house - They had gotten into the pipes/started building nests - Fixed that problem with pipe spouts now installed outside the house and a good air compresser cleaning to get all the straw out - Even found a dead bird in the exhaust blower so had to take that apart and clean - Also cleaned out the washer for exhaust blower - Furnace has been fine other then the bird issues a few years back causing havock with the exhaust blower

Damn cold in the house[/b]
Check the hoses on your pressure switch, if it isn't holding pressure it will drop out acts the same as a blocked flu.
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 07 Gade 800HO
Previous Sled(s): 99 MXZ 600
Favorite Riding Area: Bottineau, N.D. Bemidji, Mn.
10-11 Mileage: 300
Riding Since: 1999

Quote:
Any HVAC Furnace Experts

Bad Igniter ???

Damn cold in the house[/b]
I'm not an HVAC guy, but I had mine do tre same thing. My heating element/ignitor was bad. While I changed it, I brushed out any bebris in the gas lines going to and into the nozzles. I pulled a decent amount of crap out of there. Re-check to make sure you have all valves on and the circuit breaker reset if you tripped it. My ignotor stays lit for approximately 3 to five seconds. Hope it helps.
P.S. My electronic control circuit board had a circuit breaker on it also. Look at the board you'll see it, might not have one, worth a shot. It's very small, look closely.
bELOWzERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): t-660, zl800
Previous Sled(s): ext 600,cougars,fossils
Favorite Riding Area: 665
13-14 Mileage: 1842
12-13 Mileage: 1390
11-12 Mileage: 842ish
10-11 Mileage: 840
Riding Since: 1978

ck.the pilot tube you may have to take it off and blow air through it or open the end up with a sewing needle
(don't do this with a constantly burning pilot). sounds like it won't ignite because theres no fuel. have fixed
my sister in laws rheem every year for 4 years because the orifice was plugged-she just got a new furnace.
I have 2 rheems and neve had this problem.
thefoolsbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 Renegade 600 E-Tec / What Next ???
Previous Sled(s): 1998-2002 ZR 500s /2003-2005 Firecats F5s / 2006 Crossfires
Favorite Riding Area: Ishpeming MI / Crazy 8s
13-14 Mileage: 1120
12-13 Mileage: 1700
11-12 Mileage: 1350
10-11 Mileage: 1500
Riding Since: 1998

Quote:
ck.the pilot tube you may have to take it off and blow air through it or open the end up with a sewing needle
(don't do this with a constantly burning pilot). sounds like it won't ignite because theres no fuel. have fixed
my sister in laws rheem every year for 4 years because the orifice was plugged-she just got a new furnace.
I have 2 rheems and neve had this problem.[/b]

BINGO !!!!!!!!

Thanx Guys - I worked on it tonight after work - Checked/Rechecked and blew out all the vacuum lines , pressure switch was definetly working properly
Checked the moisture trap at bottom of exhaust blower - I knew the intake/exhaust flues were good to go

The igniter would stay lit/glowing for about 5-10 seconds and then nothing - Figured it was either the gas valve or pull the igniter/pilot tube out and again , and this time take it apart and clean

I knew instantly when i removed the aluminum gas line from the pilot flare - A small piece of dirt/rust fell out and then the aluminum orifice popped out , man that hole is small , and then when its covered with dirt , that you cant even see it - Cleaned that out with some contact cleaner and made her look nice and pretty , did i mention that hole is small

Put it all back together , and within seconds , had a nice blue pilot flame , and then HEAT

WORKS PERFECT - Pretty amazing what a speck of dirt can do to a furnace - First time that pilot orifice has been cleaned in ten years

THANX MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bees / 383 Magnum / 440-6 Pack / Pistol Grip / Slapstick / 3:91 Sure Grip / 4:10 Dana
bee1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:
BINGO !!!!!!!!

Thanx Guys - I worked on it tonight after work - Checked/Rechecked and blew out all the vacuum lines , pressure switch was definetly working properly
Checked the moisture trap at bottom of exhaust blower - I knew the intake/exhaust flues were good to go

The igniter would stay lit/glowing for about 5-10 seconds and then nothing - Figured it was either the gas valve or pull the igniter/pilot tube out and again , and this time take it apart and clean

I knew instantly when i removed the aluminum gas line from the pilot flare - A small piece of dirt/rust fell out and then the aluminum orifice popped out , man that hole is small , and then when its covered with dirt , that you cant even see it - Cleaned that out with some contact cleaner and made her look nice and pretty , did i mention that hole is small

Put it all back together , and within seconds , had a nice blue pilot flame , and then HEAT

WORKS PERFECT - Pretty amazing what a speck of dirt can do to a furnace - First time that pilot orifice has been cleaned in ten years

THANX MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b]
I have to thank you guys for saving me a service call.Hate calling in people when I know I can fix it myself. I have this same furnace dc 90 and having the same issues just about took everything apart and cleaned including pilot gas line(didn'nt know there was an orifice in line) the last 2 days. Took pilot line apart again after reading this. Cleaned it up and sure enough works like new. So THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
OUT OF PHASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): MXZ 600

This might be a dumb question, but do you guys have a dirt leg installed on your gas line before it goes into the furnace? This will help prevent the dirt and rust from clogging the orifices on the furnace.
Jerry 976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 07 Gade 800HO
Previous Sled(s): 99 MXZ 600
Favorite Riding Area: Bottineau, N.D. Bemidji, Mn.
10-11 Mileage: 300
Riding Since: 1999

Quote:
This might be a dumb question, but do you guys have a dirt leg installed on your gas line before it goes into the furnace? This will help prevent the dirt and rust from clogging the orifices on the furnace.[/b]
MXZ60HOSDI,
Educate me, what's dirt leg? I'll assume a its a run of tubing with a filter in it which is installed before the gas gets to the nozzles? Sorry, i'm still alot hung over from last night. Didn't see your post. You need to type clearer. Ooooooch, my head!
bELOWzERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): MXZ 600

A dirt leg or sediment trap is just a tee placed on the gas line just before it goes into a furnace, water heater, or boiler with a nipple and cap installed facing down, as the gas flows past the tee it helps catch dirt, rust, scale and sediment that is moving thru the gas line, natural gas or propane. A dirt leg is usually installed on any gas appliance that turns on and off by its self such as a furnace, water heater, or boiler, a dirt leg is not required on a kitchen stove, dryer, fireplace, or outdoor grill. The nipple for the dirt leg should be at least 6 times the I.D of the pipe, so a " steel pipe going to a gas appliance would require at least a 3 nipple with a cap to make the dirt leg. Check with your gas supplier, gas company, building inspector, or local plumber to see if a dirt leg or sediment trap is required for the area where you live. Even if a dirt leg/ sediment trap is not required on gas lines where you live it can not hurt any thing to have one installed on you gas lines.

[attachment=585378:IMG_2118.JPG]

Dirt leg on a furnace

[attachment=585379:IMG_2117.JPG]

Dirt leg on a water heater
Jerry 976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement