2 Stroke Oil Differences - Page 3 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

General Discussion Forum Where sometimes threads get Hyjacked!!! This Forum for off topic, mostly non-sledding related talk. Just remember comments about a member's Family is 100% OFF LIMITS! Posting pictures of another members family, personal attacks, and threatening posts involving physical harm, WILL NOT be tolerated. The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread, a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited. Sharing of private messages from site staff is against site rules and will be subject to banning from site temporarily or permanently.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 09:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2011 SnoPro 500
Previous Sled(s): Way too many to list
Favorite Riding Area: Away from the trail
12-13 Mileage: 400
11-12 Mileage: 200
10-11 Mileage: 1300
Riding Since: 1999

Cheapest oil I use is SuperTech Outboard. Meets all standards, and works great. Limited carbon buildup ( I noticed more when using Castrol 2-stroke oil ). At $8 a gallon from wal-mart, how can you really go wrong.
Fusion101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #22 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
I suggest the Spectro Full Synthetic Platinum. A little expensive, but worth it! No, Ski-Doo cannot legally void your warranty as long as you make sure you use 2 stroke oil.[/b]
How much does it cost? I checked out their website and didn't see any prices. I've been shopping around for a good synthetic oil that works with powervalves.
emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned 4 Life

all the hype on oil is bullshit.fuckin wal mart cheap shit or valvoline is good enuff.they are clean burning.i know tons of people who use the the wal-mart brand and have no trouble.
GreenStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #24 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Quebec or anywhere else
12-13 Mileage: 500-600
11-12 Mileage: hardly any
10-11 Mileage: not enough
Riding Since: 70's

Quote:
How much does it cost? I checked out their website and didn't see any prices. I've been shopping around for a good synthetic oil that works with powervalves.[/b]
I bought some spectro syn-sno for $32.00 a gallon at a new england sled show in the fall. Depending on different dealers that might discount it....seen it around $32-35 a gallon in the past.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Cheapest oil I use is SuperTech Outboard. Meets all standards, and works great. Limited carbon buildup ( I noticed more when using Castrol 2-stroke oil ). At $8 a gallon from wal-mart, how can you really go wrong.[/b]

You can go wrong because its likely a TC-W3 rated oil, therefore is Ashless, and yeah will give you clean valves. You say "meets all standard" I'm pretty sure it doesn't even meet API TC. Problem is it's ashless, as all outboard oils are, therefore doesn't contain the detergents necessary to maintain the ring-land area of a High HP two stroke. 2 stroke outboards never get hot, therefore can survive on an ashless formula. That and when the temperature dips, your cheap outboard motor oil will not flow at your calibrated pump setting. Its a bad idea, won't fail immediately and likely won't hurt if used intermittently but after prolonged use your top end will cook due to having carbon buildup behind the ring(s). If its a single ring engine failure will occur much quicker. Premium oil always ends up being cheaper in the long run.

indytriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
You can go wrong because its likely a TC-W3 rated oil, therefore is Ashless, and yeah will give you clean valves. You say "meets all standard" I'm pretty sure it doesn't even meet API TC. Problem is it's ashless, as all outboard oils are, therefore doesn't contain the detergents necessary to maintain the ring-land area of a High HP two stroke. 2 stroke outboards never get hot, therefore can survive on an ashless formula. That and when the temperature dips, your cheap outboard motor oil will not flow at your calibrated pump setting. Its a bad idea, won't fail immediately and likely won't hurt if used intermittently but after prolonged use your top end will cook due to having carbon buildup behind the ring(s). If its a single ring engine failure will occur much quicker. Premium oil always ends up being cheaper in the long run.[/b]
You know, my dad and I have asked around everywhere and no one has ever come up with an answer like this. They always just tell you how good the expensive stuff is instead of how bad the cheap stuff is. My dad took his chainsaw in for service and he asked the guy about that cheap Wal-Mart crap and the guy said "I wouldn't put that in ANYTHING!!" Thanks for the info though.
emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Polaris
Previous Sled(s): Yamaha
Favorite Riding Area: Allagash

Quote:
all the hype on oil is bullshit.fuckin wal mart cheap shit or valvoline is good enuff.they are clean burning.i know tons of people who use the the wal-mart brand and have no trouble.[/b]
But, but, but... I use the Polaris oil because I think their refinery is bigger than the Ski-Doo refinery. I haven't seen the Spectro refinery yet, but it must be big also for as much as they charge. I wonder if Spectro has as many oil wells as Polaris? Now the Klotz oil wells and refineries must be state of the art because that shit is expensive. And I have always wondered how many tankers Royal Purple has on the open ocean? For the amount they charge, they must be some kick ass oil tankers with real big engines.

(the above is huge sarcasm)

If more people knew what the big oil game was all about, you'd see a lot less buying expensive oils. I'll provide a little insight here for you: Wanna see the Polaris refinery? And the Klotz refinery? And every other refinery other than Shell, Mobil and BP? Here it is:

jethroxlt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2007 M1000
Previous Sled(s): 95 PS/97 Wildcat 700
10-11 Mileage: 188
Riding Since: 1980

Quote:
But, but, but... I use the Polaris oil because I think their refinery is bigger than the Ski-Doo refinery. I haven't seen the Spectro refinery yet, but it must be big also for as much as they charge. I wonder if Spectro has as many oil wells as Polaris? Now the Klotz oil wells and refineries must be state of the art because that shit is expensive. And I have always wondered how many tankers Royal Purple has on the open ocean? For the amount they charge, they must be some kick ass oil tankers with real big engines.

(the above is huge sarcasm)

If more people knew what the big oil game was all about, you'd see a lot less buying expensive oils. I'll provide a little insight here for you: Wanna see the Polaris refinery? And the Klotz refinery? And every other refinery other than Shell, Mobil and BP? Here it is:
[/b]
So, are you trying to say it's like arguing over Ford/Chevy/Dodge or Arctic Cat/Polaris/Ski-Doo/Polaris? Who would have thunk that a $5 oil with the same ratings and approvals as a $25 oil wouldnt work as well?

I have always bought oil based on the requirements, not the brand.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Quebec or anywhere else
12-13 Mileage: 500-600
11-12 Mileage: hardly any
10-11 Mileage: not enough
Riding Since: 70's

Well...the spectro oil corp. is about 25 miles down the road from our buildings where i'm employed. I do not believe you can call them a refinery nor the polaris...ski-doo... cat or yammy. As far as spectro... not sure who supplies their oil stocks or actually performs the blending. These guys have engineers that brew up an oil to meet certain specs. i'm sure. For all purposes this spectro building may just bottle...package and ship their product to their customers....much like the others. All i can tell you spectro sells good chit.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement