Kerosene heater issues Throw away or troubleshoot ? - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

General Discussion Forum Where sometimes threads get Hyjacked!!! This Forum for off topic, mostly non-sledding related talk. Just remember comments about a member's Family is 100% OFF LIMITS! Posting pictures of another members family, personal attacks, and threatening posts involving physical harm, WILL NOT be tolerated. The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread, a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited. Sharing of private messages from site staff is against site rules and will be subject to banning from site temporarily or permanently.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2007, 08:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 03 F7 fulie
Favorite Riding Area: Dark side of the moon
Riding Since: 77

I was having problems with mine last year. Hook up a fuel pressure gauge & make sure it's in specs.It says how much PSI. it should have in the manual.Try running it with the fuel cap loose.If I tighten the cap all the way down on mine pressure builds up in the tank & it will shut down after about 10 mins.
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2007, 04:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I also have a 60,000 btu reddi heater. Over this last weekend I would plug it in and after one to fifteen min. it shuts down. Got the manual out and tried to troubleshoot it. Got lazy and started it without the top on and it worked! But as soon as I put the hood on it shut down. WTF. I called Desa International who makes the unit and was told I may have a cracked air hose from the pump to the nozzle. They have a website and manuals one line at www.desatech.com also a parts order page. Hope this helps. Ron
TUR660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Fuel presure issue, I've had trouble with the fuel cap hole plugging up, try running with the cap off...

If you do end up dugging further usually cost more then just buying a now one.
SNOWNUT#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I don't know seems like you have time to mess with it....lol No but really I work at a rental place and do repair these heaters and there isn't a whole lot going on. Also the gasket rebuild kits for most of it are cheap. Pull the back off and check the little fins on the back of the fan motor. They are what create suction and pick up. Fuel tank vent in cap is a good point too. Timing on how long it runs would change depending on how much fuel is in it. Is it plugged into an extension cord or direct? Most of the expensive parts sound like they are working, I.E. fan
ujstrelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Reddy Heaters are crap been through 3 of them, most the motor/pump quit.
Have moved on from reddy and stepped up to Dayton,, although I now use propane never had any trouble with the Dayton.

Fear the Diesel!
Thunder Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

same thing is happining with mine.. runs for 30seconds then stops.. it worked excellent until about last year, wouldnt run with the cover on and with it off it was really rich, think i need to get a pressure gauage and put it in spec and see whats goin on. My dad cleaned the whole thing and it still wouldnt run, after he cleaned it it would run for 30 seconds then it would shut off and kerosyne would be dripping on the front of it like it wasnt igniting and just spraying kerosyne out the front
Old 02-25-2007, 12:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Try bypassing the eye. Not permenantly, just to see if it is the cause. If I recall there are two different sensors one for light and one for heat.
Elyria, Ohio
On The Gas Kickin' Ass
Nothing is as inevitable as a mistake whose time has come.
Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Doesn't play well with other

Current Sled(s): Twin Spar mod v2.04
Previous Sled(s): lots
Riding Since: 1981

Well its going on 3rd week with out heat in the garage, me without heat in the garage is like a fish out of water.
I have decided to buy a new one for the remainder of the year and see if I can get my current broken Reddy fixed so I will have a back up so I am not without heat again.

I missed out on a nice Mr Heater torpedo for a smokin (no pun intended) deal. But I dicked around and they were both sold with the BIN when I went back to buy.

My garage is a 3car I can put 3 full size ex-cb 4x4 F150's in it, the same seller that had the 75k heaters also has a 125k. does anyone think that a 125k will be to big for my garage ?
Its fully insulated and sheet rocked.
I can get the 125k for about $80 more shipped
Here are the links to the 75k and the 125k

75k Mr. Heater torpedo

125k Mr. Heater torpedo

I am leaning towards getting a Mr.Heater because I have a factory service center 15miles from my house so if I ever have any issues again I can just let someone else worry about it.

Ethenol free fuel in Wisconsin, click >here<

You gotta ask yourself how serious you are about going fast.
1. Cheap
2. Fast
3. Reliable
Pick two cause you can't have all 3 at the same time.
Flash and Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Doesn't play well with other

Current Sled(s): Twin Spar mod v2.04
Previous Sled(s): lots
Riding Since: 1981

I am just cautions about the 125k, I do not want some thing super loud or a fuel hog. My 60k did a great job, wasn't to loud and was great on fuel with the external Tstat that I added.

Ethenol free fuel in Wisconsin, click >here<

You gotta ask yourself how serious you are about going fast.
1. Cheap
2. Fast
3. Reliable
Pick two cause you can't have all 3 at the same time.
Flash and Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Did you notice that the Mr Heaters are RE-CONDITIONED? That would be a red flag for JUNK!

Don't you have a Grainger that you can get A Quality Dayton heater from?Why don't you check with some knowlegeable HVAC people ask them who makes the good stuff.
You do ride Cat though so crap is OK.....lol

Fear the Diesel!
Thunder Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement