Tucker VS PB - HCS Snowmobile Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2006, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

OK this forum needs some controversy. Our club currently has two tucker terras. We have been having some track issues and several members of the club are poo pooing tucker and looking for differant machines. In the past we had a BR180 and while it did have some pluses we felt overall the tucker was a better machine. Which is how we ended up with two. Because of the swamps and lake we cross the lightest psi is a plus. Piston Bully looks interesting. Does anyone have any experience with both to give good feed back? Or just PB. Thanks is advance.
upnorth500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2006, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2004 Sabercat LX EXT
Favorite Riding Area: Right here at home
11-12 Mileage: 68
10-11 Mileage: 1600
Riding Since: 1973

Just an opinion........

I have limited experience with PBs but several thousand hours on two tracks. If your trails are anything like ours, the corners get icy. Two track machines pulling drags on icy corners are useless. Thats the beauty of a four track machine is you have full power to all tracks no matter what.

I haven't heard of a set of tucker rubber tracks lasting more than 2500 hours and many reports of only 1500 hours. At $20,000 for replacements, they aren't cost effective. Don't forget, Tucker still makes steel track machines. The dealers don't want to sell them because they can't get rid of the trade-ins. Everyone wants the nice riding rubber tracks.

PB is a cleated machine. Granted they have rubber pads, but still metal cleats. Same issues.

With all of that said, Pisten Bully is the absolute Cadillac of two tracks. Now that they have come out with the Trail Bully (longer tracks, extra axle, large cab), they are a real contender in the trail grooming market.

Every machine out there has its positives and negatives. I wouldn't wish my machine on anyone, but it's awesome in the swamps. Everything is a trade-off..........
groomerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

1800 hrs on a 2002 terra and the tracks are looking pretty tough. Dealer has offered 20% off of new tracks. Is everyone have problems with terra tracks? I have found a few but dealer says no. The whole situation is very frustrating. 120K machine and the tracks wont do 2000 hrs. Not good!
upnorth500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

WE have over 2000 hours on our old '99 LMC 1800 and the tracks are in pretty good shape yet but we need to replace a few cleats this year as there are a few broken ones, Only machine we have so gotta keep fixin' it to keep using it
trailhawk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
OK this forum needs some controversy. Our club currently has two tucker terras. We have been having some track issues and several members of the club are poo pooing tucker and looking for differant machines. In the past we had a BR180 and while it did have some pluses we felt overall the tucker was a better machine. Which is how we ended up with two. Because of the swamps and lake we cross the lightest psi is a plus. Piston Bully looks interesting. Does anyone have any experience with both to give good feed back? Or just PB. Thanks is advance.[/b]

You'll never make a bigger mistake then going from 4 tracks to 2. The control, cornering, power to ground on uneven surfaces and no damage in the corners compared to sliding a track cannot be understated. I feel for you with the track wear issues. I used to be involved heavily with Tuckers (Dad sells and services them in WI/UP) but since him and I aren't on speaking terms now for 4 years I dont have the inside skinny. I do know though Camoplast had some issues with the rubber compunds when they where making tracks for Tucker and it took awhile to get it right. If I remember correct the guy in Minnesota is named Steve at Track Inc. Call him up and see if they can help you at all. I wouldnt expect full replacemnts but at least some sort of "adjustment" might be in order especially is your maintenance program is sound.

just my 2 cents...........mps
Old 11-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
ckf
Super Advanced Member

I've never run a PB but would love to be able to use the blade without fear of breaking a tie rod end on the Tucker.
ckf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

How many hours should you get out of the cleated tracks?
JBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
How many hours should you get out of the cleated tracks?[/b]
Depends on the type of cleats. I use a U shaped cleat which means two edges/wear surfaces per cleat. At 3800+ hours I decided it was time to replace the belting. I'm putting on new cleats on the rear so I can use studs, but otherwise I wouldn't really need them. I've only broke one cleat so far.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '08 FX Nytro
Favorite Riding Area: Pittsburg
13-14 Mileage: 1527
12-13 Mileage: 2108

Quote:
I wouldn't wish my machine on anyone, but it's awesome in the swamps. Everything is a trade-off..........[/b]
What is that beast Bob? I have never seen one like that.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
What is that beast Bob? I have never seen one like that.[/b]
It's a Sno-Plane. Built in central Minnesota. Articulated rear engine hydrostat. 185 hp. Only about a dozen built. It's had a hard life(http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forum...howtopic=89132), but it's served me well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement