HCS Snowmobile Forums

HCS Snowmobile Forums (http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/)
-   Trail Grooming (http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/400-trail-grooming/)
-   -   Tucker VS PB (http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/400-trail-grooming/183883-tucker-vs-pb.html)

rev kev sdi 12-04-2006 07:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

It's a Sno-Plane. Built in central Minnesota. Articulated rear engine hydrostat. 185 hp. Only about a dozen built. It's had a hard life(http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forum...howtopic=89132), but it's served me well![/b]
WOW those are some rough looking Pics Groomerbob, Here is a shot of the recovery of a groomer from a swamp in Northern Ontario, Club is the Wawa Sno Riders out of Wawa Ontario.

snowmobile rider 12-04-2006 09:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
is taht the same gromer as this one off of the tread "Groomer Disaster"

Groominfool 12-19-2006 09:36 AM

Quote:

I've never run a PB but would love to be able to use the blade without fear of breaking a tie rod end on the Tucker.[/b]
The blade on Tuckers are very limited due to the makeup of the machine although the machine itself is very good. Our club uses PB 200s and you just can't beat their blades. 12 way, very strong, hydraulic relief....
Gfool :div20:

RedBeard68 12-31-2006 03:12 PM

Groominfool, I understand that the new Tuckers come with double wheel rollers in the front and rear positions in each track now. They are supposed to greatly reduce the wear. Cost to refit older Terra-Cat ~$2000 dollars. I haven't run Pb, but have lots of time in an LMC 1800 and even more in Tuckers from '92 thru '03, and one thing I've learned, is that a fair mechanic (and watched McGyver in the day) with some tools won't likely be left in the woods by a Tucker. The two tracks on the other hand, if any thing goes wrong, you are dead on the trail. With the remoteness of our trail, and finding wolf (timber, not coyote) killed moose and deer on our trail every winter, that 'dead-on-the-trail' thing carries a lot of weight with our club! Another thing, check on parts prices. I've heard that PB parts are quite spendy. Any of you guys that have run them know if that is the case, or have I heard it wrong?

Groominfool 01-02-2007 01:10 PM

Quote:

Groominfool, I understand that the new Tuckers come with double wheel rollers in the front and rear positions in each track now. They are supposed to greatly reduce the wear. Cost to refit older Terra-Cat ~$2000 dollars. I haven't run Pb, but have lots of time in an LMC 1800 and even more in Tuckers from '92 thru '03, and one thing I've learned, is that a fair mechanic (and watched McGyver in the day) with some tools won't likely be left in the woods by a Tucker. The two tracks on the other hand, if any thing goes wrong, you are dead on the trail. With the remoteness of our trail, and finding wolf (timber, not coyote) killed moose and deer on our trail every winter, that 'dead-on-the-trail' thing carries a lot of weight with our club! Another thing, check on parts prices. I've heard that PB parts are quite spendy. Any of you guys that have run them know if that is the case, or have I heard it wrong?[/b]
Hey RedBeard
I agree with what you say. I have run both, and as I said Tucker makes a fine machine. Their drive and roller system has been improved a great deal over the last few years. My first response was in response to the blade system. You can't beat the PB blades! As you say it is more likely you can fix a failure on the trail so you can at least limp home with the Tucker whereas you are considerably less likely to be able to with a PB. Very true, however both are reliable when maintained and operated properly. As with any piece of machinery maintenance is extremely important. Grease, madatory fluid level, track, drag checks with documentation prior to operation...... really pay dividends. A limited number of trained operators on consistant schedules also helps. Also, refueling at the end of every run redues the condensation that is produced in the fuel system by a hot machine and cold temps.
Pray for snow I am itching to get rolling!
Gfool :div20:

LabradorBoy 01-11-2007 11:52 PM

I'mn getting a kick out of what some of you are calling remote locations.

We use BR180's, Tucker Sno Cats and PB100/200 here in Labrador. The Tucker's have not proven to be very reliable and the triangular tracks tend to submarine rather than climb up onto the snow as the BR and PB series do. Four tracks have not worked well for us at all, especially while breaking/opening trails and climbing hills in the remote wilderness. I'll take the PB200 anyday over any Tucker product, but that's just my personal experience.

RedBeard68 01-14-2007 04:25 AM

Groominfool is dead on with the blade issue. Tuckers are notorious for all sorts of evil things resulting from using the blades in a manner that wouldn't be an issue with most any two-track. The LMC (when I'm in practice) can cut corner berms/moguls while dragging full speed, but it can go ugly pretty quick. Relative to LabradorBoy's comments, no question that our neighbors to the North have far more remote areas than we (NEMN) do, as probably many areas in the mountains in the West. As someone who is trying work with retired club members as volunteer operators (and they are certainly capable and experienced, though many have medical issues we all may have to face as we get older) I am quite 'fussy'. And no doubt a well maintained machine of any brand is reliable, but my preference is the Tucker. We don't get the serious dumps of snow that some of the rest of you get, and I've not run a PB. The best part of this forum in general, and this post specifically is that we can get info from each other that is honest, real world experience, vs. the BS that the manufacturers put out. Keep the comments coming!