Track extension or NO track extension? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Phazer This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I am in the market to do either a new track on my 121 skid or got to a 136 track. I have talk to zook alot on here for the past few days i love the look of his sled with a 136inch track on but is it worth the money? Thats the wuestion pwople need to ask themselve. Also you need o find out what track you want to use and you have to make a tunnel extension. Like me i like to build things and fabericate parts so i plan on making a tunnel extension and make a storage box because that on they give you sucks. Now back to the topic i called around a few places in my area and the track alone for a 121 is 300.00 on average now the 136 is 500.00 there probaly cheaper places but i just wanted to get a rough estimate. Now the track extension i believe are 155 on tracksusa.com so your at 655.00 for the 136track but you need new hyphaxes and i you plan on studding it so say around a 950.00. Now this is just a rough there other places that might be cheaper. The 121 set up comes to 500.00 with studes and new hyphaxes. Now i dont know which way to go? Now i said i am lening more towards the 136 but i heard from a guy at my work i have to reclutch the sled so theres more money. Also i dont have Fo struts on my sled i have KYB i plan on buying fox struts within the year looking at the snowmobile shows up here for a pretty good deal on a set. I need some input here i know there are not a lot of threads on this so anyone that has done one or plans on it. lets talk and get great info on the phazer forums

(if the spelling is bad sorry cant spell that great)

Hope this thread with help everyone including me
07fx4stroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

maybe this is a better way to do this

136" Track extension
Pros[
1.) Way better ride do tot he fact it is longer
2.) Looks a lot better
3.) I hear it handles better but would like to here from someone that has one
4.) better to go threw more snow

Cons
1.) Cost a lot more then a 121 track
2.) A lot more work to put it on
3.) Cost more to stud it of you plan on studding it
4.) Should reclutch the machine

121" Track
Pros
1.) Stock skid no modification
2.) Costs less to stud the track
3.) Easier to ditchbang with it and do jumps since its lighter
4.) Can put yamaha racing package on it and still cost as much as putting a 136" track on it

Cons
1.) harder ride
2.) Doesnt look as good

If i missed something or I am wrong in a section let me know tis a learning ecperience for me
Old 01-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I put a 121 1.5 Freeride on my 07 Std and a 136" 1.25 ripsaw on my 04 xcsp ( stole the track off of a 2up) after my first ride on 12-7 near Alba. There was 3' of powder, we ended up getting stuck several times with both sleds. the 2nd ride was on Dec 23 similiar conditions (lots of POW and perfect trails) It is like riding a different sled, i haven't stuck the phizer in the last 400miles or even overheated it. On the 1st trip I had to scrap the heat exchanger 7 times. I put an Ulmer clutch kit in after chritmas and ran it Last thursday and Saturday, it improved the bottom to mid acceleration. The ripsaw isn't a good off trail track so it is hard to compare the 121 vs the 136 but for ditchbangin and mild boondock the 121 freeride will work for me. If you want the 136 I would skip the studs and by the 136 Freeride, tracksUSA Rails, add some extra wheels up front to help with slide wear too wait till next year to dial in the suspension RIDE it while we have SNOW and mod it when we DON'T.

Yamaha should have put the Freeride on from the factory, thinking about scratchers but I haven't had a lot of wear yet. I had 2100 miles on my orginal set when I switched tracks.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
I put a 121 1.5 Freeride on my 07 Std and a 136" 1.25 ripsaw on my 04 xcsp ( stole the track off of a 2up) after my first ride on 12-7 near Alba. There was 3' of powder, we ended up getting stuck several times with both sleds. the 2nd ride was on Dec 23 similiar conditions (lots of POW and perfect trails) It is like riding a different sled, i haven't stuck the phizer in the last 400miles or even overheated it. On the 1st trip I had to scrap the heat exchanger 7 times. I put an Ulmer clutch kit in after chritmas and ran it Last thursday and Saturday, it improved the bottom to mid acceleration. The ripsaw isn't a good off trail track so it is hard to compare the 121 vs the 136 but for ditchbangin and mild boondock the 121 freeride will work for me. If you want the 136 I would skip the studs and by the 136 Freeride, tracksUSA Rails, add some extra wheels up front to help with slide wear too wait till next year to dial in the suspension RIDE it while we have SNOW and mod it when we DON'T.

Yamaha should have put the Freeride on from the factory, thinking about scratchers but I haven't had a lot of wear yet. I had 2100 miles on my orginal set when I switched tracks.[/b]

great info now i am having second thought maybe just put a lot of work into my 121 skid but i am all up in the air right now so we will see
Old 01-06-2009, 11:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I went with the 1-3/8" X 128 X 13.5 track from a SNOPRO, got it as a new takeoff on e-bay it was dirt cheap. Contemplating the 1.7" Attack 20 track, but I think I do too much trails for such a large lug... Would be nice in the powder though, I bet.

Either way, another option.

More details here :

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=4...ghlight=firecat
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 08 600 RS,07 phazer
Previous Sled(s): prox,iqr,mxzx 440's
Favorite Riding Area: north of m-28, kalkaska
11-12 Mileage: 700
10-11 Mileage: 700
Riding Since: 1974

I also went with the 1.375 x 13.5 x 128 fully clipped sno pro track from an F7( picked it up off here). I did mine a little simpler than Mars, I got my rail extensions from hartman inc. $95 + shipping, new standard hyfax just don't have to trim any off, 4th wheel kit from schmidt bros, used stock axle, and wheels, unstudded( for now). Yes the idler wheels are on the outside edge of the track but they work and I don't see any need to remove them. I've got 250 miles on this set up and I agree with MARS this is the set up that should have come stock. The very least an 1.375 lug on a 121. It hooks up so much better than stock. It's worked good in the trails, and powder so far. It is not as smooth over the stutter bumps as my buddies 136 rev but a little better than a 121. I'm happy with the mod so far. The one con of using a firecat track is the track windows are more rectangular than square(like the stock track) so the one track tension adjuster is harder to get at.( 1/8 turn at a time) Thanks to JAFGREEN for advice and pointing me to hartman inc., HARTMAN INC quality products and advice, schmidt bros-Chris is the man, and MARS for the idea, answering my pm's, and posting his set up.
My uncle has a 121 freeride on his 07 phazer and that track is awesome.I don't think you can go wrong with any of the mentioned set ups. 136 just is the pricier way to go.**** I heard from a distributor here in michigan that the 136 free ride was discontinued. Has anyone else heard this?

Sun shines on a dogs butt every once in a while.
snirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
I went with the 1-3/8" X 128 X 13.5 track from a SNOPRO, got it as a new takeoff on e-bay it was dirt cheap. Contemplating the 1.7" Attack 20 track, but I think I do too much trails for such a large lug... Would be nice in the powder though, I bet.

Either way, another option.

More details here :

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=4...ghlight=firecat[/b]

good stuff theres anythere option and thats a 128 track so more to think on
Old 01-07-2009, 06:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
I also went with the 1.375 x 13.5 x 128 fully clipped sno pro track from an F7( picked it up off here). I did mine a little simpler than Mars, I got my rail extensions from hartman inc. $95 + shipping, new standard hyfax just don't have to trim any off, 4th wheel kit from schmidt bros, used stock axle, and wheels, unstudded( for now). Yes the idler wheels are on the outside edge of the track but they work and I don't see any need to remove them. I've got 250 miles on this set up and I agree with MARS this is the set up that should have come stock. The very least an 1.375 lug on a 121. It hooks up so much better than stock. It's worked good in the trails, and powder so far. It is not as smooth over the stutter bumps as my buddies 136 rev but a little better than a 121. I'm happy with the mod so far. The one con of using a firecat track is the track windows are more rectangular than square(like the stock track) so the one track tension adjuster is harder to get at.( 1/8 turn at a time) Thanks to JAFGREEN for advice and pointing me to hartman inc., HARTMAN INC quality products and advice, schmidt bros-Chris is the man, and MARS for the idea, answering my pm's, and posting his set up.
My uncle has a 121 freeride on his 07 phazer and that track is awesome.I don't think you can go wrong with any of the mentioned set ups. 136 just is the pricier way to go.**** I heard from a distributor here in michigan that the 136 free ride was discontinued. Has anyone else heard this?[/b]

disconnected that sucks becsue i was going more towards this set up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement