Hardcore Sledder banner

08 Phazer Suspension Problems

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  equillibrium88 
#1 ·
The rear suspension travels between two white plastic stops.* Our sled at rest would sit about 1/2 way between the stops.* We could only get it to rise to the highest position by lifting the rear of the sled.* We replaced the two springs and many other parts.* We also had the rear shock rebuilt.* Now it is all back together.* But the problem persists.* If the rear of the sled is lifted, the suspension rises to the upper stop.* It will sag 1/4 when you put the sled back onto the ground (heard Yamaha has a sag problem, but this seems over the top).* If my 105 lb son sits on it, the rear suspension travels to about 1/2 way to the bottom stop.* If he gets off of the sled, the suspension stays at about 1/2 way.* With just a light lift, the suspension will rise to the top stop again.* It does not seem that the suspension is hanging up or is stiff anywhere.* It just sags.* Why?* How do we fix this?

#2 ·
I'm having the same problem with my '07 Mountain Lite. Granted, I'm a wee bigger than your 105lb. son, but same thing. Suspension will drop when weight is on the sled and will not return when removed. A little tug and it comes right to the top of the travel. I asked the Yamaha dealer here and they recommended that if I was going to continue to ride the machine (evidently I'm too big for it), I look at some custom torsion springs because the OEM springs would not eliminate the issue.

#3 ·
Installed HYgear spring spacers on wifes Phaser, they work amazing no sag or squat and returns to full extension on it's own. I call it her pogo stick. Also put on XClick spring cams. They have 4 positions vs.3.

#5 · (Edited)
The 07's, had weak pivot links and lousy welds on the front scissor. Yamaha changed the pivot to a billet piece for 08'. Having previously owned a 07' Phazer GT you are right about the sag and sadly those blocks are not adjustable either. The front stops on mine could only be hit if the rear of the sled was lifted too but it shouldn't be eating up that much travel. Now you could install the Hygear spacers they will provide a more effective spring rate since the spring isn't sitting all crooked on that weasley black hanger. The Fx model has stronger springs than the GT, not sure about the MNT lite and you could get 4 position adjusters for the torsions too but it's not a good idea to go ditch banging in the overload position. There needs to be some sag for the skid to work properly but the factory springs are pretty soft. If you're over 6' and weigh more than 250 lbs you won't be very comfortable

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.