98 chevy truck vortec 5.7 hop up???? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Any one out there ever try to hop up a 96-2000 chevy truck with the vortec 5.7??? mine has tons of miles and I want to freshen her up a bit, I bought a good core motor to rebuild and am looking for sugestions. I want to keep the stock fuel injection but would like to put a small cam in it at the least. Im just using it for towing the toys around.
800cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Advanced Member

QUOTE (800cat @ Mar 12 2010, 10:39 PM)
Quote:
Any one out there ever try to hop up a 96-2000 chevy truck with the vortec 5.7??? mine has tons of miles and I want to freshen her up a bit, I bought a good core motor to rebuild and am looking for sugestions. I want to keep the stock fuel injection but would like to put a small cam in it at the least. Im just using it for towing the toys around.[/b]
I looked at all options.

My truck is a 1996 1500 step side with a 2500 front end, new front axels, superlift 4" sus lift, 2" body lift, yukon 456 gears, new transfercase, new tranny with upgraded tourqu converter, limited slip yukon locker in the rear, all new u-joints. and several sets of 35" rubbers. Truck also has fram airfilter, flow master 3" exhaust, exturnal tranny cooler and 2 add-a-leifs. The super chips tuner is the way to go.

this year i have a lot better job so for sure i am going with 35-37" tires on new 16" wheels, and probuly a 6" suspension lift (not sure which one)

As for engine wise, i looked at super chargers, turbos, headers, and i have just decided to pull my 167,000 mile abused 5.7 out and replace it with the new gm 383 ho l.e. engine with headers, custom exhaust, new intake, do the 5-7 swich cam, and have some custom front axels made.

I will probubly have the engine balenced. Then send out all my EFI stuff ot have it reprogrammed for the new engine.

Thats what i am planning on doing. what about your self?

I_OWN_U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

QUOTE (I_OWN_U @ Mar 15 2010, 01:42 PM)
Quote:
I looked at all options.

My truck is a 1996 1500 step side with a 2500 front end, new front axels, superlift 4" sus lift, 2" body lift, yukon 456 gears, new transfercase, new tranny with upgraded tourqu converter, limited slip yukon locker in the rear, all new u-joints. and several sets of 35" rubbers. Truck also has fram airfilter, flow master 3" exhaust, exturnal tranny cooler and 2 add-a-leifs. The super chips tuner is the way to go.

this year i have a lot better job so for sure i am going with 35-37" tires on new 16" wheels, and probuly a 6" suspension lift (not sure which one)

As for engine wise, i looked at super chargers, turbos, headers, and i have just decided to pull my 167,000 mile abused 5.7 out and replace it with the new gm 383 ho l.e. engine with headers, custom exhaust, new intake, do the 5-7 swich cam, and have some custom front axels made.

I will probubly have the engine balenced. Then send out all my EFI stuff ot have it reprogrammed for the new engine.

Thats what i am planning on doing. what about your self?[/b]
I dont want to go crazy, looking for better towing most of all, have you looked at the gm performance crate motor, ht383e.? its like 350 hp and 465 ft lbs torque. its nearly 4 grand but has a killer warenty and works with all the stock stuff on your truck. its worth looking at, comes with new distributor plugs, wires and ballancer too.. Im planning to just go .030 bore, flat tops and a cam and headers, not looking for a racer or off roader I use it more pulling anyway.
800cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Advanced Member

QUOTE (800cat @ Mar 15 2010, 11:51 PM)
Quote:
I dont want to go crazy, looking for better towing most of all, have you looked at the gm performance crate motor, ht383e.? its like 350 hp and 465 ft lbs torque. its nearly 4 grand but has a killer warenty and works with all the stock stuff on your truck. its worth looking at, comes with new distributor plugs, wires and ballancer too.. Im planning to just go .030 bore, flat tops and a cam and headers, not looking for a racer or off roader I use it more pulling anyway.[/b]

That is the engine i was looking at. It has been a while since i have looked into it. IMO, the best mod you can do is get rid of the 373 gears and go 456. It is a GREAT gear ratio and the truck will cruise great at 70-78 in 3rd and 88-95 in 4th. Also i recommend adding a tranny cooler. The super chips programmer lets you up your speedometer, allow much harder shifts, adjust shift points, adjust for tire sizes, and gives you better gas millage.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): pro r 800
Previous Sled(s): 600 rush
Favorite Riding Area: from home
10-11 Mileage: 6000
Riding Since: 2002

QUOTE (I_OWN_U @ Mar 15 2010, 12:42 PM)
Quote:
I looked at all options.

Thats what i am planning on doing. what about your self?[/b]
6'' bds. 3'' body. 37'' superswamper ssm16. cold air intake bbk headers and full exhaust. predator programmer. 456 running gears. locked in rear true track in front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jeremy_037.jpg (442.4 KB, 1 views)
jrmy_bck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I know it says 5.7 but how bout the 5.0? any body put a shift kit in a daily driver? Can I still have a mild shift points drivin normal then get on the tall pedal and have the crisp shifts? 146,000mi and a shit load of power braking has made the 1 - 2 shift a little soft. Is there a way of gettin rid of that automatic up shift? [attachment=635254:100_0029.JPG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0029.JPG (466.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Advanced Member

QUOTE (mn600 @ Mar 21 2010, 09:15 PM)
Quote:
I know it says 5.7 but how bout the 5.0? any body put a shift kit in a daily driver? Can I still have a mild shift points drivin normal then get on the tall pedal and have the crisp shifts? 146,000mi and a shit load of power braking has made the 1 - 2 shift a little soft. Is there a way of gettin rid of that automatic up shift? [attachment=635254:100_0029.JPG][/b]

I love my new trany with the shift kit. I had the valve body upgraded, a bigger stall installed, and with my chip i have the shift pressure maxed out.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

you've got the 96 chevy right? that would be a vortec then? what chip did you put in? I've always wondered about a chip but, never pulled the trigger. anybody alse run a shift kit?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 09 Dragon 800 , 01 XCR 800, 00 XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): 98' XC 700, 94' Storm 800
Favorite Riding Area: Rivers, lakes, trails.
13-14 Mileage: 1500+
12-13 Mileage: 2000+
Riding Since: 1986

I have a 98 1500 with a Vortec 350. I have the tuning program in my lap top to tune these trucks and all the newer GM trucks and cars....
The 350 Vortec has a good stock tune for 87 octane but if you run premium fuel there is some power to gain with tuning. I have tuned mine to run on E85 and it has noticeably more power then stock around 18-20 more hp at the wheels then running 87octane and the stock tune. E85 is much cheaper then running 92octane as well.

I just put true dual exhaust on it and got rid of the cats. It makes a little more power but it really needs headers to wake it up. The pipes off the exhaust manifolds are tiny, less then 1-7/8, way to small for a 350 Vortec.
Another good thing for these engines is a set of full roller rocker arms, the 1.6ratio full rollers should make another 20hp on this engine. They work, there is a reason GM went to roller rockers on all the new style V8's. They make an underdrive crank pulley and I've seen dyno test where these have made 10-20hp depending on the engine.

With the above stuff done and some tuning a 350 vortec will be well over 300hp. Add E85 with a ported throttle body and electric fans and 325+ should be easy.
BattleStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Advanced Member

QUOTE (mn600 @ Mar 23 2010, 11:22 AM)
Quote:
you've got the 96 chevy right? that would be a vortec then? what chip did you put in? I've always wondered about a chip but, never pulled the trigger. anybody alse run a shift kit?[/b]
I like my super chip. I had a hypertech tuner that worked well but the programmer stopped working so i stole the superchips out of my dads 5.3 yukon and haven't looked back.

The features are

tow mode, sport mode, and economy
+or- size tires ( you can put in exact size to adjust spedo)
you can enter your gear ratio
and you can bump up the tranny pressures like 20 pounds. The best way to make the stock transmissions last in ANY automatic is to have very hard shifts. Ever drove a ford and felt the tranny shift? Kinda feels like some one stretching out a rubber band and slowly releasing it....thats not good.

Also, if you do any transmission work, add an external trany cooler and filter. This will add alot more fluid and make it run alot cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement