2000 polaris sportsman 500 rse - HCS Snowmobile Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): M8 162"/m7 162" mod./m6 153"/99 powder pro
Previous Sled(s): 121" tracks
Favorite Riding Area: SHHHHHHH>
12-13 Mileage: oh boy
11-12 Mileage: Ridin
10-11 Mileage: Hours
Riding Since: 95

I just purchased a polaris sportsman and thought I should do a complete service. ( looks a little neglected) What type of lubes do I use for front/rear diffs, engine, trans, and hubs. I took front hubs apart and found, what I thought to be no lubrication. Yet everything looked good. What and how do I put oil/grease in the hubs? Also the rear cv joints click with light loads, But when I put weight on it the noice goes away. Is it possible that someone has put a lift kit/longer shocks and cv angle is to great? Can some one help me out? I am a quad idiot. thanks, tom
tdayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 04 proxr 440/800
Previous Sled(s): 06 cf700 snopro, 03 f7 snopro
Riding Since: 12

demand hub drive goes in the front hubs, 80-90weight in the front differential, 2 quarts of 10w40 for the engine and I believe AGL if the transmission and rear diff are all one unit, if not its AGL in the tranny and 80-90weight in the rear also.

-Fly_KiD003-
fly_kid003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
tc1
HCS Advertiser

Current Sled(s): 800 Pro R SWITCHBACK
Previous Sled(s): WAY TO MANY TO LIST
Favorite Riding Area: Canada, Father Trucker area
13-14 Mileage: 1114
12-13 Mileage: 1733
11-12 Mileage: 961
10-11 Mileage: 1528
Riding Since: 1972

Quote:
demand hub drive goes in the front hubs, 80-90weight in the front differential, 2 quarts of 10w40 for the engine and I believe AGL if the transmission and rear diff are all one unit, if not its AGL in the tranny and 80-90weight in the rear also.[/b]

0/40 syn. for the engine oil NOTHING ELSE.
You should have an allen screw in each front hub, take that out and fill to what you think is half full, then turn hub to 3 o clock and let drain, reinsert allen screw.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Paparazzi of the Trail

Current Sled(s): 2010 MXZ800R
Previous Sled(s): 2006 MXZ800X
Favorite Riding Area: Parry Sound On.
10-11 Mileage: 1325
Riding Since: 1985

The clicking noise means the CV joints are on the way out! Jack up the back of the wheeler and check for play in the CV joints. If there isnít any yet, itís still okay to ride for a while.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2011 MXZ-XRS 800 E-TEC, 2013 1100 turbo RR
Previous Sled(s): revs,firecats, yamaha ,eskimo,scorpion and a wolverine
Favorite Riding Area: anywhere there is snow
Riding Since: 1972

Quote:
The clicking noise means the CV joints are on the way out! Jack up the back of the wheeler and check for play in the CV joints. If there isnít any yet, itís still okay to ride for a while.[/b]
My friends and I all bought 500 sportsmans those things are indestructable we all loved them I liked the sportsman so much Iwent out and bought the 700 efi sportsman ,but I hardly have the time to use it , now it,s a very expensive snowplow Ihope you have good luck with yours
burky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): M8 162"/m7 162" mod./m6 153"/99 powder pro
Previous Sled(s): 121" tracks
Favorite Riding Area: SHHHHHHH>
12-13 Mileage: oh boy
11-12 Mileage: Ridin
10-11 Mileage: Hours
Riding Since: 95

Thanks for the great info so far. I take everthing you can send. thanks, tom
tdayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the great info so far. I take everthing you can send. thanks, tom[/b]

You can use ATF in the hubs. turn them to 4 or 8 oclock. This will leave the oil level even with the seal lip on the inside of the hub.. That 2000 uses Polaris synthetic gear case oil. It's kind of purple color. There is a dip stick on the side of the diff next to the rear brake.

There are a ton of grease zerks on that machine. The ones on the rear wheels are easier to see by pulling the wheel. One on the top A arm and 2 on the bottom. 2 on the inboard end of those A arms both top and bottom if I remember right. One on each end of the rear sway bar. One in both u joints on the front drive line. One on the slip joint in that line, access it from the hole in the skid plate. One at the bottom of the steering column. One on the bottom rear of each front strut assembly. These lube the lower ball joint. One on the inboard bottom A arm on both sides. One on the u joint in both front drive shafts. And finally one at the top of the steering column although it doesn't need grease very often. I think that is all. You may want to order an owners manual because I think they are all shown in it. Grease it after riding through water and at the end of the season.

Clean the air filter often and it should run a good long time.

Gary
BB454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
demand hub drive goes in the front hubs, 80-90weight in the front differential, 2 quarts of 10w40 for the engine and I believe AGL if the transmission and rear diff are all one unit, if not its AGL in the tranny and 80-90weight in the rear also.[/b]
0w/40 synthetic for the engine.I have a stack of cams from people who tried to save a buck on oil.
phat bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
You can use ATF in the hubs. turn them to 4 or 8 oclock. This will leave the oil level even with the seal lip on the inside of the hub.. That 2000 uses Polaris synthetic gear case oil. It's kind of purple color. There is a dip stick on the side of the diff next to the rear brake.

There are a ton of grease zerks on that machine. The ones on the rear wheels are easier to see by pulling the wheel. One on the top A arm and 2 on the bottom. 2 on the inboard end of those A arms both top and bottom if I remember right. One on each end of the rear sway bar. One in both u joints on the front drive line. One on the slip joint in that line, access it from the hole in the skid plate. One at the bottom of the steering column. One on the bottom rear of each front strut assembly. These lube the lower ball joint. One on the inboard bottom A arm on both sides. One on the u joint in both front drive shafts. And finally one at the top of the steering column although it doesn't need grease very often. I think that is all. You may want to order an owners manual because I think they are all shown in it. Grease it after riding through water and at the end of the season.

Clean the air filter often and it should run a good long time.

Gary[/b]
the hubs should be 1/2 full or in other words to 3:00 or 9:00 not 4 or 8.
phat bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
the hubs should be 1/2 full or in other words to 3:00 or 9:00 not 4 or 8.[/b]

If they are half full, they will weep past the seal. Regardless, put some oin in them.
BB454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement