400ex trouble shooting - HCS Snowmobile Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 11:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Hey, i just bought an 01 400ex and it ran great the day i picked it up and the day after and such but i tried to start it today and the battery was dead, so i charged it up and it won't start up, it turns over fine but it will not start up. I think i might have something wrong, maybe a switch wrong or something. Any ideas or where i should start to trouble shoot this? Which direction should the choke lever be? Shoul it be vertical or horizontal? Any other tips would be much appreciated, thanks
-Crazymisfits
crazymisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Advanced Member

sounds electrical, when you turn your key on while the bikes in neutral does your green light come on ? i havent had a problem with mine but a buddy of mines doing the same thing . i thought maybe a short but havent looked into it yet. the choke is on when the lever is up and off when down .sorry cant help much good luck . check out E x r iders . c o m they can help you alot more than on here
throttlejunkie450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Advanced Member

douse it have a spark ?
Old 05-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 08 Ski-doo TNT
Previous Sled(s): 04 F7
Favorite Riding Area: NEK,VT

I got an 03' and its cold blooded. If the light comes on in neutral, and it tries to turn over, then put it on full choke and give it some gas when you start it.
31sledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

it has spark but i think it may be more a fitment issue with the spark plug and the boot. it is tough as hell to put on. Im gonna try to tinker with it monday and see if i can get something out of her. I bought a manual on it so maybe that will help too. Any other ideas?
Old 05-23-2008, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Talking

Quote:
it has spark but i think it may be more a fitment issue with the spark plug and the boot. it is tough as hell to put on. Im gonna try to tinker with it monday and see if i can get something out of her. I bought a manual on it so maybe that will help too. Any other ideas?[/b]
i think all boots are hard to put on, as myne is hard too. and try changing the plug. when i got myn the next day it would not start. the plug had a strong spark but would not fire. but when i put a new plug in she fired up and i have not had a problem. try that might work!!
rev440 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:
it has spark but i think it may be more a fitment issue with the spark plug and the boot. it is tough as hell to put on. Im gonna try to tinker with it monday and see if i can get something out of her. I bought a manual on it so maybe that will help too. Any other ideas?[/b]
same here really hard to get the boot on its happened to me to many time where it was not kilpped on right or seems like it is on then rattles off.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I took the plastcs off and im gonna give it another shot trying to get this damn boot on, what a pain in the ass. Has anyone tried and aftermarket coil like a high output one? Any better? Thanks
Old 06-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 09 M8 SP, 05 Sno Pro, 96 XCR 440
Favorite Riding Area: Mountains

Quote:
you want them to be tight so they dont rattle around and give inconsistant spark

sell it and buy a 450R....jk
2002 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
2005 Honda TRX450R -TT
2004 Honda TRX450R -MX

Quote:
thats not a fanny pack........its a manpurse
Quote:
You just wait till I race you with the Bearcat. 6,000 pounds of pure power
mezz250x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): none
Previous Sled(s): 07 F1000/02/01 XC800/Formula Z/97 XLT
Favorite Riding Area: Minto ND/Dairyland WI
13-14 Mileage: In England
12-13 Mileage: In Lajes
11-12 Mileage: 200
10-11 Mileage: In Lajes
Riding Since: 1995

Does it have a REV box?? Sometimes on the EX's that will make them a pain in the ass to start every now and again. And on two quads I have had if the battery is on it's way out it will give enough power to turn it over but not start. I know that probly doesnt make sense, but my Raptor was like that. Try starting it with a battery charger on it to eliminate that being the problem. After that it's spark, fule and compression.
loud800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement