2007 Polaris Sportsman 800 efi - HCS Snowmobile Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

i've been looking to get a new bike lately and was looking at some 2007 polaris sportsman 800 efis. some of them seem to be pretty fairly priced. i was wondering if anyone has had any problems with one and how well they perform.

thanks
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2011 iqr
Previous Sled(s): 05 switchback 600

my friend has one. No problems with it, i'm not sure how much miles it has. It has 17 inch tires. The quad flies compared to my 06 honda rubicon. It accelerates like crazy and goes through mud way better than my quad. it rides really smooth to compared to my quad but is tippy when taking corners fast.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I purchased an 2007 Sportsman x2 800 efi last April and I'm very happy with the quad. It seems well built and fits my usages, hunting, light trail riding and general property maintance just fine. I have 340 miles on mine now and no real complaints. Its not the fastest quad out there, buy a Can-Am if speed is your thing but it has been reliable, very smooth riding and will hit 70mph on a flat straightaway. I have had 2 problems in the year I've owned it. #1 problem was the Warn Winch it came with stripped out (make sure if yours has one you push the free wheel/engage lever all the way down before putting a load on it). The winch was replaced under warranty by Warn and I hope they make changes to the design. #2 was my fault in that I got the quad stuck and tried winching the machine on an angle w/o turning the front wheels in that direction. The front spindle broke where the drive shaft goes into it due to the side pressure. Again this was fixed under warranty but it was my doing and not a manufacturers problem. I like the quad and can't think of a reason to steer you clear of the Sportsman. Good luck.

P.S. The efi works great, 10 below ice fishing or in the heat of summer the quad starts easy and purrs like a kitten.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

They are very nice machines. They are somewhat heavy, but they are pretty good in the mud. Again, they are not the fastest, but they do move pretty well.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I bought an 06 left over last April, the only issue I had was I broke the front motor mount at the 500 mile mark, during a real torky hill climb, but was covered under warrenty and replaced with an upgraded motor mount. Since then I've had 1300 miles of trouble free riding.

I use my bike for chores around the house (hobby farm) and pleasure trail riding. So knowing it would get lots of use, I did a fair amount of research before buying, and found the Poo to be the sturdiest one built (heavy but sturdy) in every aspect of the bike, Poo didn't chince out on the beef of any parts at all. The bike rides awesome, and has an unbelievable amount of power on tap, the 4x4 system is a very basic viscose system thats easy to maintain and very reliable. My only gripe is fuel, just like their sleds it's a pig when compairing to other brands, but not really an issue for me, with a full tank and spare jerry can I have a range of 150+ miles easy.

Awesome bike, I can't say enough good about it, here's some pic's and a link to a slide show of some of my quadding adventures from last summer ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_pb7BhQv2w&feature=user

PPSC Club Forums

GO TEAM OFSC

NOT A FAN OF THE CAN - IF YOU FEEL THE NEED TO BRAPPP PLEASE STAY OFF THE TRAILS I WANT TO KEEP RIDING ON

Rick
Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 09 mxz tnt
Previous Sled(s): all junk..still junk
Favorite Riding Area: windsor/valley
11-12 Mileage: .7(yard)
10-11 Mileage: 2200kms
Riding Since: 2001

i have a 2006 800 sportsman efi ,i love the bike... it has close to 4500 kms on it now and i don,t drive it much at all in the winter months except to plow my driveway the rest of the time i am sleddin. i love the poo .. it is my third new one and i will buy another when i wear this one out... but i have had a few problems with it

1. replaced rear wheel bearings and lower contol arm bushings
2. replaced radiator (leaking)
3. crank sensor , no start problem
4. cooling fan twice ,noisey and quit working
5. balljoints (front)and front lower contol arm bushings
6. front struts (freezeing up this winter)
7.complete front drive shaft, both yokes and u-joints
8.front trunk box and bumper(front fascia) i flipped it over.... my fault

current problem i am haveing is a overheating problem ... if i am driveing the bike in normal conditions the cooling fan comes on properly and cools the bike down .. but if i start working the bike at all ... it instantly overheats and the cooling fan does not come on... it trys to but it always quits... i have had it back numerous times and we can,t figure out the problem... they have changed every component in the cooling system but the ECM and still haveing a problem ... i currently have it wired dirrect untill i can get it back to the dealer( thank god for polaris warranty) other than that i love this machine... i have owned almost all makes of quads and they all have there little querks ... luckely my local polaris dealers r very helpfull and interested in provideing good service which is alot more than i can say about the others in my area, that alone is a good reason to buy polaris!!!!
capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Advanced Member

I don't own a Polaris but I have ridden the 800 and it is pretty nice but like everyone else is stating they are not the fastest. A good friend of mine has a Renegade 800 EFI and it is SICK, when you hit the throttle it just picks the front tires right up dispite the fact it is almost 600 lbs. And when you want to go muddin it's 26" tires and special four wheel drive just rips and tears through mud. It really depends on what you want to do with the machine, if you want to do a lot of yard work and not as much trail ridin then go with the Polaris but if you want a ton of power and the capability to tear up the trails I would definately go with the Renegade. Hope this helps
Hunter566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't own a Polaris but I have ridden the 800 and it is pretty nice but like everyone else is stating they are not the fastest. A good friend of mine has a Renegade 800 EFI and it is SICK, when you hit the throttle it just picks the front tires right up dispite the fact it is almost 600 lbs. And when you want to go muddin it's 26" tires and special four wheel drive just rips and tears through mud. It really depends on what you want to do with the machine, if you want to do a lot of yard work and not as much trail ridin then go with the Polaris but if you want a ton of power and the capability to tear up the trails I would definately go with the Renegade. Hope this helps[/b]

He forgot to mention that if you also have a couple extra thousand dollars lying around get the Renegade.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 XF 8000 137" Orange Limited
12-13 Mileage: 2250
11-12 Mileage: 1050
10-11 Mileage: 2600

Quote:
i've been looking to get a new bike lately and was looking at some 2007 polaris sportsman 800 efis. some of them seem to be pretty fairly priced. i was wondering if anyone has had any problems with one and how well they perform.

thanks[/b]
Your confusing me.
bike

noun
1. a motor vehicle with two wheels and a strong frame [syn: motorcycle]
2. a wheeled vehicle that has two wheels and is moved by foot pedals [syn: bicycle]

verb
1. ride a bicycle [syn: bicycle]

No Substitute For BIG JUGS!!
Super 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Your confusing me.
bike

noun
1. a motor vehicle with two wheels and a strong frame [syn: motorcycle]
2. a wheeled vehicle that has two wheels and is moved by foot pedals [syn: bicycle]

verb
1. ride a bicycle [syn: bicycle][/b]
weird, doesn't seem like anyone else has gotten confused about me using bike instead of quad or four wheeler.
Advertisement