'06 600 factory mod? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

440/race/modified This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

So I came across another 2006 IQR 600 that was for sale, looked at the engine bay pics and it looks EXACTLY like mine. I contacted the owner and he said it was a 600 factory mod straight from polaris. Now i've been told polaris didn't have a 600 in '06... Could anyone shed some light on this for me?
HMK
Arctic FX
Allsport Polaris
MtnMaxMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2010, 12:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 10 IQR800 DMAX
Previous Sled(s): 2007 IQR 440/600
Riding Since: 1994

From what i know, no gets a factory mod unless your their top rider's like Levi, Ross, Tj, Shaun etc... Even then i think they get normal racer's and order a mod package seperate. Im not sure about the 06 since they offered the 440 back then a their racer, They might have offered a factory mod since the 440 was the basic race sled like the 600's are now. Your best bet would be to contact Tom AkIqpilot he is definatly the man to talk about when it comes to polaris race sled's. Hope this helps, James.
POLARISXC440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): IQR, IQ
Previous Sled(s): XCR, RMK, XC
Favorite Riding Area: Cooke City, MT
10-11 Mileage: 5
Riding Since: 85

Polaris doesn't usually offer a "mod" sled turn key. They sell a roller with a non cutout hood and the engine sold seperatley as the "mod package" the Mod package usually consisted of al the needed parts to convert a stocker to the mod class. 06 it was the first year of the 600's, the mod package in that year consisted of Twin pipes, high compression head with removable inserts and a reflashed CDI on an other wise stock 600 HO. In 07, they added cylinder and case porting to the engine to boost the power. I believe that some of the Semi Pro/private teams ran stock 600 HO's with twin pipes in their sleds.

Can you find out who raced the sled first? It would help you determine what classes they competed in and what they were allowed to do engine wise.

Most of the Pro racers sleds are hand built, they start with a bare chassis from Polaris and add all the parts they want on it.
Anger890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Thanks Ean that helps a bunch. I hate sounding like a newbie..but this is my first sled other than my '01 Mountain Max that i've rode my whole life so I don't really know squat about them.

For me to run pump gas, do I just need a new head and cdi? If so..what do I look for and how much would it run me? I'd really, really like to not run straight 110 all season..
HMK
Arctic FX
Allsport Polaris
Old 07-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 Pro RMK 800 155"
Previous Sled(s): 800 CFI IQR, 800 IQR, 660 ProX
Favorite Riding Area: Off Trail Powder
Riding Since: 1975

You would need to change out the head, CDI reflash, and change the pipe and silencer to a pump gas friendly twins or better yet a single.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser

Current Sled(s): '05 Polaris IQR 600HO w/extras
Previous Sled(s): 4 IQR's 1 Fusion
Favorite Riding Area: WI and CO
12-13 Mileage: body
11-12 Mileage: or
10-11 Mileage: sled
Riding Since: 1977

QUOTE (Anger890 @ Jul 6 2010, 07:36 AM)
Quote:
Polaris doesn't usually offer a "mod" sled turn key. They sell a roller with a non cutout hood and the engine sold seperatley as the "mod package" the Mod package usually consisted of al the needed parts to convert a stocker to the mod class. 06 it was the first year of the 600's, the mod package in that year consisted of Twin pipes, high compression head with removable inserts and a reflashed CDI on an other wise stock 600 HO. In 07, they added cylinder and case porting to the engine to boost the power. I believe that some of the Semi Pro/private teams ran stock 600 HO's with twin pipes in their sleds.

Can you find out who raced the sled first? It would help you determine what classes they competed in and what they were allowed to do engine wise.

Most of the Pro racers sleds are hand built, they start with a bare chassis from Polaris and add all the parts they want on it.[/b]
I agree with this and will add that the Polaris race department does make changes from time to time for certain racers or races (not all sno x) So getting a 600 or 800 in an '05 or '06 is possible whether it was done somewhere with Polaris or the racer that orderd the chassis and the extra parts. I actually have an '05 800 mod chassis (not for sale). There is still a post on the Polaris site under tech tips that listed the parts for an 800 in the '05 chassis. There may be one for the '06 600 too, I cant remember but just have a look.

823 Rockford Rd SW
Cedar Rapids IA 52404
Phone 319-364-1120 Hours 9-6 M-F
Tech Support 319-365-9666
Order line 1-866-Full Throttle (385-5847)

jspowersports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Anger pretty much nailed it.

There is a little bit to do to one to run it on Pump Gas.

Stock Cyl Head
ReCurve the CDI $50 from Polaris racing.
Temp Sensor and wiring.
TPS sensor. (sorta optional and can be left out of the map)
DET Sensor. (optional and can be left out of the map)

Because of the twin pipes you may have to run good quality fuel like 92 octane or something depending on where you live (altitude) and how much ethanol is in the fuel.

Single pipes are available and will allow you to put the headlight back in if it was one of the mods that came from the Poo Race Dept with the SLP twin pipes.

Got any pictures. We could tell you a bit more about the sled with pictures.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Advanced Member

HMK
Arctic FX
Allsport Polaris
Old 07-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

That looks like a 600 VES to me, not a 600 HO.
Tyler
trmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2010 IQr 600
Previous Sled(s): 2006 IQr 600 ho
Favorite Riding Area: Wyoming, U.P.
Riding Since: 1995

I'm pretty sure its an h.o. It has a tapped hole in the head for a det sensor, I don't think the ves's came with one, or the e.v solenoids.
sled_nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement