Polaris 440 Case Mod - Page 4 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

440/race/modified This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #31 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

The '04 440 does not have a check valve in the case to oil the center bearing.

The first thing you would have to do is drill the case and install the check valve for the center bearings. The Check valves are about .262" in diameter, so you would need to drill a .250" hole and work it just a tad larger. The check valve will just press into place.

The best method would be to split the cases and drill the hole. You could also inspect your bearings and gear for wear and decide if you want to continue with the '04 motor. I have also seen the check valves installed in the oil pump block off plate, then you don't have to drill into the case.

You would not add an oil line to the PTO Bearing, Leave the zerk and do not ever add grease to it. If you split the cases you would repack the PTO bearing with IsoFlex grease.

You would use the 600HO oil pump. The throttle cable from an '01 440. and have to decide what to use as an oil tank.

I am sorta liking the Polaris Race Tip about manual oiling the center bearing on the '08R. While not the perfect answer it sure seems to be working. This could be done to any motor that has the center check valve already installed.

And you could install a tiny tank just to oil the center bearing, the oil seens to gradually be sucked into the motor. My oil line holds about 4ml. and it takes about 4 gallons of fuel to suck it dry.

Here is how I have my '08R set up. Of course I remove the syringe after I shoot up........
[attachment=440383SCN5205.JPG]
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #32 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Here is how I have my '08R set up. Of course I remove the syringe after I shoot up........
[attachment=440383SCN5205.JPG][/b]
lol.

is that a standard syringe? with the oil line pressed over.

what oil is that?
Guy... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:39 PM   #33 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

It's empty now. I put the syringe on for the picture.

The line stays in place, the syringe is removed and put in the tool box between useage.

You are supposed to use any 2-stroke oil.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #34 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I like how you keep the line on the injection fitting so you don't have to pull off the carbs every time. How often do you do that for a 08 600 IQ race Trail rode sled?

"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death..."
Schm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:04 AM   #35 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

AkIQPilot: This is not even a new fix, some have been doing it for years. I got the idea from a pm I got, (not my idea of course) and I do think its great that you did a post on it, (BUT AT THE SAMETIME) when I put a post on it. You blew it off like it was a POS idea.
And that there was no way a (ONE WAY VAVLE WOULD DRAW OIL IN IT). Funny I guess that polaris had to post it first.

Just keeping things on the same playing field.
CHILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #36 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

First I would like to say sorry on my last post, it sounded mean and pissy. Sorry AkIQPilot:

I would like to know if anyone has tried a gang valve with a tank on this mod, I have been running mine straight from my tank to the oil line. And it puts in to much oil, so I thought a brass valve from a fish tank would work to control the oil flow. But have not tried it yet and thought someone on here has done it and knows how it worked.

Thanks all !!!
Old 11-23-2008, 10:51 PM   #37 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

For the last post:

Bump: Funny no one here has run or tried this mod:
QUOTE(AkIQPilot @ Mar 3 2008, 02:00 PM)

Reduced 57%

1024 x 768 (169.25K)

lol.

is that a standard syringe? with the oil line pressed over.

what oil is that?

AkIQPilot Posted Mar 3 2008, 12:00 PM
The '04 440 does not have a check valve in the case to oil the center bearing.

The first thing you would have to do is drill the case and install the check valve for the center bearings. The Check valves are about .262" in diameter, so you would need to drill a .250" hole and work it just a tad larger. The check valve will just press into place.

The best method would be to split the cases and drill the hole. You could also inspect your bearings and gear for wear and decide if you want to continue with the '04 motor. I have also seen the check valves installed in the oil pump block off plate, then you don't have to drill into the case.

You would not add an oil line to the PTO Bearing, Leave the zerk and do not ever add grease to it. If you split the cases you would repack the PTO bearing with IsoFlex grease.

You would use the 600HO oil pump. The throttle cable from an '01 440. and have to decide what to use as an oil tank.

I am sorta liking the Polaris Race Tip about manual oiling the center bearing on the '08R. While not the perfect answer it sure seems to be working. This could be done to any motor that has the center check valve already installed.

And you could install a tiny tank just to oil the center bearing, the oil seens to gradually be sucked into the motor. My oil line holds about 4ml. and it takes about 4 gallons of fuel to suck it dry.

Reduced 57%

1024 x 768 (169.25K)

Old 11-25-2008, 12:28 AM   #38 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Hey Tom, where did you find a syringe with the amount marks on it that fits? Also, how much oil are you shooting in it, the recommended 10ccs by Polaris?
andrew486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:59 PM   #39 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey Tom, where did you find a syringe with the amount marks on it that fits? Also, how much oil are you shooting in it, the recommended 10ccs by Polaris?[/b]
I get the syringes from a local pet store. They are vetenary syringes. They come in several different sizes from 5ml to 25ml all with the same sized tip. That one is a 12ml. I inject about 5ml (cc's) every tank of gas.

After talking to the Poo Race Department they said the oiling of the '08 center bearing wasn't really necessary. They said early in the season last year they had 4 motors go down with center bearing issues. They put out the bulliten thinking extra oil would help eliminate or at least minimize the problem. They heard of no additional center bearing issues after the bulliten. They were able to get their hands on a couple of the motors that failed and they found the machining tolerances on the cases was too tight and this is what caused the bearing failure. They narrowed it down to just a few motors with sequential serial numbers. They did not retract the bulliten because they were not sure if there were possibly more motors out there with a similar problem. Their thinking now is if you oiled your bearing and it didn't fail then it's all loosened up now and should not need any more oil. If you never oiled your bearing and it didn't fail you are A-OK because you didn't have the problem in the first place.

For '09 they made changes to the cooling in the cases and waterpump/bearing area and this problem is eliminated. The '09 motors don't even have the check valve for the center bearing.......which is a little bit of an issue if you want to add oil injection.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #40 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

i blew my center crank bearing last year and fixd it and drilled one hole in the case and the same thing happend this saturday and i only put about 200 miles on it since wats did i do wrong someone please pm
slednecks_9_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement