Will heated shield ever catch up? - Page 4 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

General Snowmobile Forum This is a serious discussion forum and a 100% NO BASHING ZONE. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited. Sharing of private messages from site staff is against site rules and will be subject to banning from site temporarily or permanently.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #31 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Current Sled(s): 2012 Ski Doo TNT 600 ETEC
Previous Sled(s): 07 AC F8, 01 ZR600
Favorite Riding Area: Chautauqua County NY
13-14 Mileage: 500
12-13 Mileage: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgexcsp View Post
My full face helmet is cold and leaks air so the cold isn't really an issue. I have just always worried about exposed skin in a motor cross helmet.
I have SUPER sensitive skin, the key is finding a helmet and google combo that fit right. If you have gaps that you're using tape to close up, NO GOOD.

The 509 helmet and googles obv. work well together. My 509 Sinisters and Fly helmet fit perfect and I have a fly breath box in also and they all fit perfect. No air comes in and my face stays warm.

I wear a fleece balaclava underneath because it covers my neck and shoulders also.

I would like to point out that I had an HJC helmet and heated shield that had air getting in and I ended up with frostbite one year. So its any ill fitting setup not just motoX style that it can happen.
LE_07F8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #32 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 00 Xcr 800-m10, 01 800LE-M10/144
Previous Sled(s): 98Xc600, Indy 400-500, XLT,XCR800, Edge, Trail, Rush, Rx1
Favorite Riding Area: NW WI
13-14 Mileage: 1000
12-13 Mileage: 750
11-12 Mileage: 300
10-11 Mileage: 1100
Riding Since: 1984

Bet you had a bad connection at the plug, sled, or fuse problem. They do take time to catch up. I swapped sleds yesterday and didn't use mine at 5 degrees F. Formed a little spot of condensation on the inside. Took my finger to wipe it off, otherwise it would have taken many miles.

I always plug mine in unless over 30 F. I'm not dealing with it fogging no matter what the temp. Don't care what it looks like. I bought the E shield for a reason.

I'm not entering the open face/full shield debate. I don't care what anyone wears.
dman400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #33 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2000 ZR600...1994ZR580
Previous Sled(s): 1996 ext580 and many others of all brands since 1975........
Favorite Riding Area: anywhere there is snow !!
Riding Since: 1973

useing anti-fog to clean them before every ride also helps lots .........
ndtorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #34 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): "Agri-vater"

I have a 5-6 year old $130 HJC with a $50 shield on it. Perhaps it's so old that it was made back when things could be hot without fear of some idiot burning his nose and suing the company, because I can set mine on my sled, unplugged, in an ice storm while I help a buddy pull his sled out of a ditch, get back on with the thing iced over big time and it will literally melt off within two minutes. So I ride slowly with the shield open till then. My buddy's tease me for not buying a newer one that matches my sled, but after reading this post, I think I'll keep it.
stronger800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:49 AM   #35 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 14 600-RR, 10 SnoPro500, 07 F6LXR (wife's)
Previous Sled(s): too many Cats.......way too many ...
Favorite Riding Area: VT,Tug Hill, Moosehead/Rangley
13-14 Mileage: 1025 ++
12-13 Mileage: 1800
11-12 Mileage: ice skated
10-11 Mileage: 1440
Riding Since: 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthemud View Post
I don't really know what to suggest for the cat helmet...my buddy picked up some 509s for his cat helmet and they don't ft right with the nosepiece in there. He ended up having to run it without it and there is a gap on the bridge of his nose. He says no big deal, but he will end up with frostbite I bet.

Not sure if he just isn't doing something right or if it is the helmet. It seems that the cat helmet has a little smaller of a beak on it then my 509, that may be the problem. Also, getting the nosepiece and the deflector to sit perfectly is a bit tricky and takes some forming of the defelctor and practice. Somebody must make the helmet for cat,...try to find out who and pair it with that brands goggles..should be good.

As for balaclavas....I really like the klim covert and the doo modular balaclava setup I have. The covert covers everything but the eye area and the doo one leaves the whole face open and wraps the head and neck good.

I am telling ya.....once you figure it out, it is amazing!! So much easier to move my head and look around. I was always having trouble turning my head really far back with the full faced. If coming up to an intersection greater than a 90 degree turn, I would have to sometimes use my hand and push my head because of the restrictive movement and weight of the helmet. Now though, it feels as if nothing is there at all. I cannot even imagine what the new carbon fiber helmets feel like.

:
Thanks Bud !! I'll see what I can find out and search what will fit properly.

1999 Chaparral Sunesta 233 LE
Scuba year 'round
Australia and South Pacific Islands

taperk600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #36 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I go with an MX helmet when it is warm, and the TXI with heated sheild when it is cold.

I had trouble plugging the leak in my MX/ goggle combo at the outside edges of my goggles until I bought one of these:

It is made by Zan Headgear. I put a normal balaclava on first and this over the top of that. It takes a little practice getting the helmet on whithout bunching everything up, but it solved the leaks around my goggles.
drewvr51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #37 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2010 F8 SP and wifes 2011F5 LXR
Previous Sled(s): Lots from 1972 Colt SS 340 up to current stuff, lots though
Favorite Riding Area: From home w/family-friends
Riding Since: 1976
Default Update

Thanks again for everyone's input. I must have the old school TXI, gotta be at least 5 or 6 years old. Anyway thanks for all the MX input too. I have been playing around with mine and again, I LOVE THE SET UP and wear the MX stuff in the summer and am good with it then. Back to the original question of if it will ever catch up or not, I intentionally fogged it up and it did catch up in the sun and 16 degrees. Stayed a little foggy but did gain a little ground after a few miles when it was around 5 degrees after dark. I thought about the connections and they are all clean and working well, but maybe that night something was not perfect too? I was close to home and and just rode home with it open slow enough and behind the windshield. Hope this thread helps others out and again thanks for all the input. Maybe some day I will go MX but again, I really like this thing and plan to stay with it.
Kris
Blackpearl#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #38 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 13 F1100T
12-13 Mileage: 2200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl#1 View Post
Back to the original question of if it will ever catch up or not,
Kris
My old TXI had no problems catching up, I usually only plugged it in when it started to fog or conditions called for it.
ucop27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #39 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2010 F8 SP and wifes 2011F5 LXR
Previous Sled(s): Lots from 1972 Colt SS 340 up to current stuff, lots though
Favorite Riding Area: From home w/family-friends
Riding Since: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucop27 View Post
My old TXI had no problems catching up, I usually only plugged it in when it started to fog or conditions called for it.
Cool,thanks
Kris
Blackpearl#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #40 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Quebec or anywhere else
12-13 Mileage: 500-600
11-12 Mileage: hardly any
10-11 Mileage: not enough
Riding Since: 70's

All i can comment on is i have 2 helmets with electric shields....one an hjc the other a bell. Both shields measure a different heating resistance but neither have ever had any issues...even when they frost up a bit from not being plugged for a period of time. They will both quickly defrost in seconds after plugging into the power.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement