Hardcore Sledder banner

What are you guys carrying on your sleds with you?

6K views 48 replies 33 participants last post by  yodelinthegully 
#1 ·
Ok guys, I am curious to see what everyone has with them on the trail... a dry pair of gloves... extra hat... maybe some oil and plugs... first aid kit... duct tape and zip ties? who knows what else we would come up with... what keeps you out on the trail all day long...

now I saw one post that got way off topic talking about who needs to carry extra parts and lots of tools based on what they ride... let’s not take this thread down that road... we all have a favorite brand...

Keep this about the supplies that keep us out there having a good time and not heading back early because we got cold or had a minor break down...

#3 ·
Spare belt, plugs, flashlight, something to light a fire with, rope, phone, vise grips, adjustable wrench, and a Gerber folding saw. The saw comes in real handy if you ever stick it in deep and manage to get a ski caught under the small brush buried in the snow.

#5 ·
Ok guys, I am curious to see what everyone has with them on the trail... a dry pair of gloves... extra hat... maybe some oil and plugs... first aid kit... duct tape and zip ties? who knows what else we would come up with... what keeps you out on the trail all day long...

now I saw one post that got way off topic talking about who needs to carry extra parts and lots of tools based on what they ride... let’s not take this thread down that road... we all have a favorite brand...

Keep this about the supplies that keep us out there having a good time and not heading back early because we got cold or had a minor break down...

I moved this to the General Snowmobile Forum so that won't happen...:thumbsup:.........:bc:

#7 ·
A spare belt, a tool kit I have made up in 1/4 in and 3/8 socket sets pliers vise grips and screw drivers , tow rope, a quick fuel siphon hose, extra gloves hat, snacks, and some T.P .

#14 ·
Cell Phone
Hand held gps
Trail map
Led flash light with strobe feature
Tow rope
Lighter
Zip ties
Small first aid kit
Extra gloves
Hat
Food & drink
Multi tool
Plugs
Belt
Toilet paper
Shop rags
Packets of lens wipes
Small roll of caution tape
Can't forget the mountain money.
I also bring a shovel, comes in handy sometimes. Love my Gerber folding saw that thing has saved me a couple times when I get a ski hooked around a branch.

#9 ·
Windshield bag; 1 pairs of lighter gloves, 1 pair of heavy mittens, hat, registration, magnesium fire starter

Saddle bags; extra sweat shirt, extra pair of wool socks, hand/feet/body chemical warmers, shovel, 50' throw bag of rope, first aid kit, $20 bill for gas!, trail maps, food bars, head lamp with extra battery's, 4 glow sticks(different colors), extra head light bulbs, plugs, tool kit, 2 foil body warp, water proof matches, a couple skoal can's with dryer lint coated in Vaseline to use as a fire starter, magnesium fire starter, tow rope in seat compartment, cell phone charger cord, survival whistle, balaclava, cable ties, 75' of 550 para cord, I bring 2 bottles of water every ride.
This might seem like alot but these saddle bags can hold a ton of stuff

#10 ·
Decent tool kit, electrical tape, piece of wire, first aid kit, flashlight, spare fuses, small axe,spare set of plugs, tow rope, extra gloves and a wool hat.
I carry more than the usual but if you have it it's not near as bad as not having it. Plus if you ride alone, you should always have a way of getting firewood (axe) incase you need to spend the night, be prepared for anything and nothing seems to happen.

#11 ·
Shovel with saw in handle
first aid kit
bailing wire
duct tape
quart of 2 cycle oil
pint of chain case oil
pint of antifreeze
socket set
hand tools (pliers, wire cutters, wrenches)
throw rope
tow rope
handlebar muffs
extra sweatshirt
extra gloves
spot emergency locator
fuses
electrical wire
ty-wraps
electrical tape
telescoping magnetic pickup tool
bag of nuts and bolts
beef jerky
bottle of water
cereal bars
cell phone
flashlight
lighter
reading glasses
gps
air pump for fox shocks
hat
sunglasses
2.5 gallons of gas
tissues
napkins
toilet paper
aluminum foil
spare key for the sled
trail maps
two spare belts
fuel syphon hose
hacksaw
leathermen
plastic garbage bag (so I don't leave my burnt belt on the trail)
spark plugs
and on most days, there's hot dogs, sausage, or pulled pork cooking in the hot dogger:). On those days, I carry mustard, relish and some rolls.
No wonder my sled is so heavy when I get it stuck.

To carry all that, I have a windshield bag, handlebar bag, goggle bag, large tunnel bag and a coat with lots of pockets.

#34 ·
Shovel with saw in handle
first aid kit
bailing wire
duct tape
quart of 2 cycle oil
pint of chain case oil
pint of antifreeze
socket set
hand tools (pliers, wire cutters, wrenches)
throw rope
tow rope
handlebar muffs
extra sweatshirt
extra gloves
spot emergency locator
fuses
electrical wire
ty-wraps
electrical tape
telescoping magnetic pickup tool
bag of nuts and bolts
beef jerky
bottle of water
cereal bars
cell phone
flashlight
lighter
reading glasses
gps
air pump for fox shocks
hat
sunglasses
2.5 gallons of gas
tissues
napkins
toilet paper
aluminum foil
spare key for the sled
trail maps
two spare belts
fuel syphon hose
hacksaw
leathermen
plastic garbage bag (so I don't leave my burnt belt on the trail)
spark plugs
and on most days, there's hot dogs, sausage, or pulled pork cooking in the hot dogger:). On those days, I carry mustard, relish and some rolls.
No wonder my sled is so heavy when I get it stuck.

To carry all that, I have a windshield bag, handlebar bag, goggle bag, large tunnel bag and a coat with lots of pockets.
You forgot a good book to warm up to.:thumbsup:

#13 ·
I usually carry this stuff, Rope, flashlight, adjustable wrench, toolkit, plugs, spare belt and a lighter. If i know i'll be going on a big mile ride i'll throw a back pack on and load that up with extra gloves, hat, shirt, pants, facemasks, and some food and water.

#15 ·
Tool kit, plugs, belt, paperwork in sled glove box
Gerber flippy knife, Leatherman, Maglite led and extra AA batteries in holsters on belt
2-4 Bic lighters (somehow I always end up losing one or 2), Cell phone, Wallet in pockets
Gloves, Pants, Socks, like 5 balaclavas because I hate putting the wet one back on, Thermos of coffee (most important), granola bars or something to eat, Camelback (anyone know how to keep the hose from freezing??), Contact case, Glasses, Lens cloths, No Fog Spray, Handkerchiefs, Trail maps, Phone charger, Deodorant lol, Anything anyone else can't hold in my rather large USMC 3 day assault pack. It can get pretty heavy but with the buckles clipped holding the shoulder straps together its rather comfortable even on 100 mile rides.

#16 ·
what they all said except i bring some stainless safety wire also. actually used it last year, both bolts on one of my buddies exhaust valves broke off. used safety wire and zip ties to hold it in place, safety wire because wrapping around the motor would of melted zip ties. i also bring 2 20' ratchet straps, and a two strap can tow with them or hook em to a tree and get yourself out of a sticky situation. along with 2 snow bunjee's, those things are awesome!

#17 ·
Leatherman, Maglite, Whistle, About 2ft of copper 14 ga electrical wire, Electrical Tape, Zip Ties, matches, Hot pocket hand warmers, Baseball Hat and Winter hat, Extra Gloves, Bungee cord for my rack, Heavy and light Baclava, Sunglasses.

I need to add a first aid kit and I like the idea of the dryer lint to start a fire I may need to do that as well before heading to the Yoop this weekend.

#18 ·
dump the maglite a $2 LED light will shine brighter and last longer in the cold. I carry about 20# of crap in my windshield bag all of which I've seen listed except steel wool, which works for starting fires.

On my person I carry camera, gps, phone, wallet, etc.

#20 ·
Have good saddle and trunk bag with (have extra stitching for reinforcement) , complete toot kit of wrenches open and closed end, lots of screwdrivers, pliers (regular, wire, needle nose, vise grips), duct tape, extra bolts and nuts, zip ties, pry bar, hammer (rubber and plastic end to knock off ice in tunnel, rope, home made first aide kit, extra goggles, paper, matches, candle, chain case oil, 1 l oil, 6 plugs, rags, plastic garbage bags for rain), maps, several bottles of gas line anitfreeze, knife, combo spoon, fork, knife, can opener, scissors), swiss army knife, flashlight.

#22 ·
This is what I carry when I ride:

Shovel w/handle
Avy probe
Beacon
Sno Bunje Cobra
Small wood saw
Maps
Owners manual
Flash/strobe light
Extra gloves (2 pair)
Extra goggle lens'
Tow kit
Extra Goggles
Extra Balaclavas
Neck gaitor
No Fog mask
Matches
Tarp
Sunglasses
Water
Snack bars
Knife
Fire starters
First aid kit
Spare DESS key
Flares
SPOT Sattelite messenger

#24 ·
- Gatorade
- Extra Gloves
- Midweight Fleece when cold
- Duct Tape
- Rags
- Magnetic Tool
- Flashlight
- Vice grip
- Knife
- Needle Nose
- Zip Ties
- Crescent Wrench
- Exhaust Spring Tool
- Screw Driver with bits
- 2-3' Ft of 3/8" tubing(for gas)
- Tow Rope
- Some Combo Wrenches
- Lighter and matches
- Extra Belt

All tools stored inside a Skinz Tunnel Bag and a Sears Utility Box mounted on top of my clutch cover. Clutch cover idea from akiqpilot's.
The Ultimate Tool Caddy for an IQr

One more item. I was sick of my Droid 4 always running out of juice on the trail. I wanted a waterproof cell phone charger that I could leave in my Skinz bag while riding. My phone doesn't have a removable battery so I couldn't buy a backup.
I constructed a cell phone battery with a 8AA Battery Pack(+12VDC), Fuse, and Auto Cell Phone charger. Works great, especially with Polaris Trails App!
I attached velcro to it so it doesn't fly around in the bag. I just slide my rechargeable AA batteries before the day's ride. The pics don't show the small usb to phone cable.

#25 ·
as little as possible.dont count whats already on the sled(belt and tool kit)than I have all paperwork together in an envelope,warm riding gloves,and leather gloves,phone,wallet,keys,maybe a hoodie,2 plugs wont need em for my sled though,couple zip ties,trail map,hat,led light,gps,knife.thats about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.