Fuel/Gas Tank question/problem - HCS Snowmobile Forums

General Snowmobile Forum This is a serious discussion forum and a 100% NO BASHING ZONE. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited. Sharing of private messages from site staff is against site rules and will be subject to banning from site temporarily or permanently.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Fuel/Gas Tank question/problem

I have a 95 Arctic Cat Panther 440 that for some reason will not draw gas from the tank unless it is near full. I am concluding that the fuel pick-up in the tank is not anchored as it should be. Can someone give me some insight as to how the fuel pick up is set up? What are the basic steps to remove the gas tank if that is where i have to venture to fix the issue? I have machanical skills with cars so i am not afraid of the work. Just would like to know that i am barking up the right tree. Thanks!
financer83rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Mach Z
Previous Sled(s): ZR,ZL,Cougar,440,340,250
12-13 Mileage: 1137
11-12 Mileage: 850
10-11 Mileage: 1802

Quote:
Originally Posted by financer83rs View Post
I have a 95 Arctic Cat Panther 440 that for some reason will not draw gas from the tank unless it is near full. I am concluding that the fuel pick-up in the tank is not anchored as it should be. Can someone give me some insight as to how the fuel pick up is set up? What are the basic steps to remove the gas tank if that is where i have to venture to fix the issue? I have machanical skills with cars so i am not afraid of the work. Just would like to know that i am barking up the right tree. Thanks!
Sounds to me like to the hose in the tank has slipped off the nipple that is threaded into the tank. Should be an easy fix once you get the tank off. I'm not sure how the tank is attached on that sled but the seat may be attached to the tank and will need to be removed as a unit. Someone else here may be able to help with that.
Once you are able to access the nipple that passes through the tank you can remove it and fish out the old hose to get the correct length and replace it. You can probably still use the old screen and weight on the end of the old pick up tube.

My guess on the seat is that the mounting bolts are in the rear seat compartment. Once those are removed you can slide the tank/seat combo to the rear to gain access to this nipple that passes through the tank.
I'm sure if that's not correct someone here will let us know.

Last edited by zee ell; 12-20-2010 at 02:47 PM.
zee ell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 1996 Polaris XCR 600 SP
Previous Sled(s): 1987 Polaris 340 Sport
Favorite Riding Area: anywhere there is snow
Riding Since: 1993

Get a magnet out of a computer (if you can) or a real strong magnet and put it on a piece of wire or string and move it around to see if you pick up metal filter.
guttafixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Paparazzi of the Trail

Current Sled(s): 2010 MXZ800R
Previous Sled(s): 2006 MXZ800X
Favorite Riding Area: Parry Sound On.
13-14 Mileage: 1400
10-11 Mileage: 1325
Riding Since: 1985

I’ve replaced the pickup line in the tank on a few sleds without removing the tank. It does make it much easier to see what you are doing with an empty tank. Fish out the old line through the fill hole if it has fallen off. Can you get at the nipple that goes through the tank? Might have to remove the air box??
Old 12-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Paparazzi of the Trail

Current Sled(s): 2010 MXZ800R
Previous Sled(s): 2006 MXZ800X
Favorite Riding Area: Parry Sound On.
13-14 Mileage: 1400
10-11 Mileage: 1325
Riding Since: 1985

Here's a picture of what an old one looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (146.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 12-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Mach Z
Previous Sled(s): ZR,ZL,Cougar,440,340,250
12-13 Mileage: 1137
11-12 Mileage: 850
10-11 Mileage: 1802

I think it would be easier to slide the tank/seat combo back a few inches to gain access to the nipple. Once you have access you can put on the new hose after fishing out the old one.
Here is a diagram of the tank if it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg panther tank.jpg (54.8 KB, 14 views)
zee ell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement