Open face vs Full Face - HCS Snowmobile Forums

General Snowmobile Forum This is a serious discussion forum and a 100% NO BASHING ZONE. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited. Posting private messages from Members or Site Staff is against site rules and will be subject to banning from site temporarily or permanently.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2006 F7
Previous Sled(s): 98' Z440, JDX8
Favorite Riding Area: WY, WI, MI, MN
Riding Since: 1997

Like the title entails I am looking to buy new gear this year. I have rode for years with a full face helmet, no complaints with it other than I would occasionally get fogging in the right conditions. I also ride a quad in the summer time and love open face helmets. Those of you that ride with an open face...chime in

Does your face get really cold with it?
Do you use it for trail riding or just for short "fun rides"
Any fogging issues with the goggles?
Overall do you like it compared to a full face?

Thanks for your opinions.
apguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 09:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 ZR 7000 Limited
Previous Sled(s): 2012 Turbo Limited 141
Favorite Riding Area: Pickerel/Crandon
16-17 Mileage: 1600
15-16 Mileage: 2000
14-15 Mileage: 2140
13-14 Mileage: 2700
Riding Since: 12

Quote:
Like the title entails I am looking to buy new gear this year. I have rode for years with a full face helmet, no complaints with it other than I would occasionally get fogging in the right conditions. I also ride a quad in the summer time and love open face helmets. Those of you that ride with an open face...chime in

Thanks for your opinions.[/b]
Son got tired of looking cool with the open face and bought a bvs2 helmet this year. It:s damn cold at -20 and running 80-90 across the lake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zrman53188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

full face all the way...i rode with an open face and it was nice except for the little bits of skin that get really close to frost bite and you dont know it.

I like having a visor to reduce some glare
Traction: 1" Camoplast Pred. 144 Woody Mega-Bite Studs
chas0218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Current Sled(s): XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): O.M. 1000, 700 Heavy Mod, 700 IS XCR 1253, XC1214, P.S.700
Favorite Riding Area: N.W. Wisconsin
13-14 Mileage: 1,864
Riding Since: 1959

Dentists and oral surgeons love guys who wear open face helmets.
XCR1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I was in the same boat as you. Always use a shielded helmet but felt like I wanted to try an open face for the warmer days. I compromised and just bought this helmet from GMax. It's a closed face electric that comes with a visor and quickly converts to an open face. Looks damn cool too! I've always had "commitment" issues.
GM 37X Derk in matte black

http://www.g-max.com/gmax/gm37x_derk.html#

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Snow-Balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2007 DRAGON 700, 4500 MILES
Previous Sled(s): 2002 EDGE-X 800,6400 miles, 1999 XCR 800
Favorite Riding Area: YELLOWSTONE
Riding Since: 1985
Talking

Quote:

Thanks for your opinions.[/b]
I've been riding since 1985 always with a full faced helmet.

Went to the Motocross style that's in my avatar around 2004, I would rather give up sledding than go back to a full faced helmet, period.

We ride 100-150 miles per day with the gals, 200-225+ with the guys, rode in minus 15*F, no problems.

The goggles will fog a little when sitting there idling, so I have the velcro quick tear offs and remove the goggles at extended stops.

I wear both a balaclava plus a thin foam/neoprene face mask that stays below eye level, kinda like a lower half balaclava. At first I used only the balaclava, that's o.k. for warmer days, however the 2nd face mask over the front of the balaclava is key!

Another bud came with us on a trip to Yellowstone in 2004, brought both types of helmets with him, went back and forth, same end result, motocross all the way!

If you wear contacts or eyeglasses (like I do) you may want to check out www.pro-vue.com they have prescription lenses installed into the goggles, sweet!! Different color tinted shields are available that snap over the goggles, I ride with the blue tints on sunny days, pop 'em off for nighttime use, they even provide you with this neat little felt envelope to safely store the shields into.

Most people that are anti-open face haven't really tried it, I.MO. Give it a chance, you already have the helmet and goggles, pick up the right face mask/balaclava combo and you're set.

What's interesting is we usually ride Northern Wisconsin and the U.P. and most riders wear the full faced stuff. Go out West to Yellowstone where we go every few years, and nearly everybody out there runs with the Motocross stuff.

Approx 5 years riding with the motocross set-up, approx 8000+ miles, No frostbite

Hope this helps

Byron Circa 1984, '72 Dodge Colt, Full Tube Chassis, Strange Struts, 4 Link, Koni Coil Overs, 15" x 33", Mild 426 Wedge, Torqueflite, Lexan windows, Dzus Fasteners & Quick Release Pins Everywhere, All Polished Aluminum Interior, Fuel Cell, "Weld" Superlite Wheels, 2220 lbs. w/Driver, Leaving the Starting Line Carrying the Front Wheels and Being Plastered into the Back of the Seat and Stopping it from 137+ m.p.h. by Pulling the Parachute-PRICELESS!!!

Byron, 1982, 71 Dodge Demon, 426 Wedge, Aluminum 4-speed, Narrowed Dana 4.56, Alston Bars & Floater, SS Springs, 12.20" x 31.25" Firestones, Polished Centerlines, 10 pt Rollcage, Aluminum wheel tubs, Fiberglass fenders, hood, & decklid

1986 INDY 600 LIMITED EDITION CHROME PACKAGE [/b]91 M.P.H. @ RADAR RUNS 1000' (6000+ MILES) TRAILERED TO YELLOWSTONE IN 1988
kraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 1200 Renegade x
Previous Sled(s): 11 GSX 1200, 09 Nytro, 06 Vector, 03 ZL600
Favorite Riding Area: NEK Vermont, Colebrook NH
14-15 Mileage: 1,800
13-14 Mileage: 3,300

Because of all the hype on the internet, I bought an HJC sno-x helmet last fall...tried it while riding my atv w/ 2 balaclavas when it was about 0-10 degrees out and I got frostbite for the first time in my life. It wasn't a pleasant experience...so I never tried it on my sled. I'll be sticking with modular full-face helmets for now...there's no advantage to sno-x helmets that I can see. I still use mine during the summer and it works good. Anyway, I'm not trying to steer you away from them, because I'm sure some people have found ways to keep warm.
ruff-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Son got tired of looking cool with the open face and bought a bvs2 helmet this year. It:s damn cold at -20 and running 80-90 across the lake.[/b]

Quote:
full face all the way...i rode with an open face and it was nice except for the little bits of skin that get really close to frost bite and you dont know it.

I like having a visor to reduce some glare[/b]
To me the key was finding goggles that fit snugly in the eye opening and getting goggles with a nose guard are a must IMO. Once I found the right goggles and wore a balaclava I have no issues down to -20 across lakes and down long straight trails for miles without frostbite or feeling cold. Set up is key, not all goggles and helmets are the same. On one of our colder rides I was riding with a guy with a full face that was having huge fogging issues, another with an open face was freezing his nose.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
jeffzr600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 07F1k, 14 ZR8,01ZR8, Z120
Previous Sled(s): Way too many Cats
Favorite Riding Area: Cadillac, MI
14-15 Mileage: 500
Riding Since: 1972

Once you have a good fit, the open face is the way to go. The 509 sinister goggles work awesome. The BV's are expensive, cumbersome and heavy. Mouthpiece freezes. It works great, but I have 5 open MX style helmets with goggles and deflectors that work awesome. no going back for me.
turtleheadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
15-16 Mileage: Zero
14-15 Mileage: not much
Riding Since: 70 s

Been using both as of late. If i go on a trip way up north where temps never get higher than zero some days and the trails are mostly big wide open highways its a no brainer for a full face... balaclava and heated shield. Riding here more locally where trails are slower and tighter i've gotten to favor an open face....just gets too warm during the day for a full face. Just my opinion but i actually like the open face helmet better if the conditions favor it.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement